Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like many of you I've been experimenting around with plasti dip for quite some time. Started off with emblems, then grill surround, then wheels, then hood and trunk.... well there was only one thing left to do now! Bit the bullet and did my entire Hemi Orange R/T in matte black, door jambs and all. Now i'm not going to do an entire write up as there is tons of info available at the dipyourcar forums however any questions please ask. All I can say is that I surprised even myself on the outcome of it all. You never really know until you see it in person on your very own love and joy. And I was more than pleased for my first try dipping an entire vehicle. Now understand this method is not a permanent solution to a professional paint job, however for the fraction of the price I have the look of a matte black paint job that I can remove in 30 minutes and have my shiny Hemi Orange paint untouched underneath, then maybe try a different color next time around. I've had my Challenger going on 5 years... I love my Hemi Orange however it's still fun to try something different for 6 months. I'm getting compliments everywhere I go, stares on the road, people pointing... haven't had that since I was one of the very few Challengers on the road back in 2008! Never the less, I used to think people were crazy for using this stuff, until one project after another I'm only left with dipping my whole entire car. One of those project where you ask yourself "Whats the worst that can happen?"... In this case luckily I can always go back to stock and only be out a couple hundred bucks. Here are some pics.

* This is her before I knew what plasti dip was, not stock how I bought her but pre-dip.

* This is wheels, emblems, and front grill surround plasti dipped. You see in that first pic of the dipped wheels how freaking smooth and flawless the dip is, I was amazed after that project... pretty much where I thought it would all stop... but no.

***********************************************************************************

* Here is the hood, trunk, and side mirrors dipped. Hood was not absolutely perfect and up to my standards however I left it there while I figured out whether to go through with the whole project or not. Pretty much had the hood on for 3 months or so in the Texas summer heat, removed it before doing the full car and it came up spic and span no problem. That there gave me the balls to go ahead with the full dip.

************************************************************************************

* Some pics of the prep. I wanted to do it right so that included door jambs... pain in the butt however necessary on a car like this. I some some nfl player who wrapped his red Challenger in vinyl and had bright a$$ red door jambs... not on my watch will I have that going on.
************************************************************************************

* After some patience, time, and 5 hours later

* Pics that very next day

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

*Final pics atop my work parking garage in Dallas, after some vinyl graphics added for a bit of pop along with some orange emblems. I had the 'SkunkWorks' custom made and love it... my girlfriend didnt get it at first lol but it's def a nerd thing. Overall I love it as of now. Dip has held up great for going on 2 months now. No tears, peeling, fading... no nothing. Plus it is a dream to clean now! No more 2 bucket wash system with grit guards and lamb skin mitts! I spray it down with a power washer then I get a 5 gallon bucket of dawn dish soap and go at it with a microfiber or dip wash cloth. You can scrub the heck out of it with a microfiber and no problems. I got up to an inch away with the power sprayer and no problem. I use my same waffle weave drying towel and water blade... dries perfectly. And for a detail spray I use Simple Green... people on the dip forum suggested it and it works wonders. No worries about waiting a week to get bird poop off or tree sap or whatever else the world throws at it, just power wash it off. Let me know if you guys have any question on it all, i'll be happy to answer. Thanks and feel free to leave honest feedback!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I know it's not for everybody out there .. But I think it looks great! Nice work, Sir! Are your tail lights filmed or hard plastic covered?

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger 392
1,536 Posts
I think this looks great!

I have messed around with dip for over a year but haven't done a whole car...been considering it just for something fun and new for sure...and since they have the bright red now I have considered doing that also...I did do a whole golf cart and for the MOST part came out great minus the hood for some reason textured and was uneven.

Did you apply it to the whole car with a paint gun and compressor? I bought one and have done a few things with it but have trouble getting the pressure and gun settings perfect and honestly gave up on it...last try was the golf cart and the hood texture scared me from doing my own car.

Did my wheels (peeled up recently). Roof of the car (came out WAY textured and uneven and had to peel up which was a nightmare since it was not even and little strips would pull up and not the whole sheet AND some of it is still stuck in seals and all). Did the door handles and mirrors (which has held up a year and I really like). And of course emblems on the car and my truck and my truck wheels as well.

I do know that getting it off of vinyl emblems is a bit harder than paint...one thing to watch for when you do decide to peel it up.

Prep wise what did you tape off on the exterior? Or did you peel it off everything you didn't want it on? That kinda worries me as I have had it peel up beyond body lines at times and would hate to redo an entire panel over a small tear...

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
If you're happy, that's all that matters.

Myself, when I was young, I owned many of "primer" cars because I couldn't afford a good paint job. LOL

Not for me and my Challenger, but enjoy yours.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Not to shabby! Id love to have HO color RT but they are scarce. Its neat to make such a non permanent drastic change to your car after having it so long and just wanting to change things up and being able to correct it again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's a wicked looking challenger! Nice thing about plastic dip is , you can always take it off when you want to go back to stock color. Car looked great before and it looks great after. You did a good job on it. You are here by allowed into the black challenger thread now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I know it's not for everybody out there .. But I think it looks great! Nice work, Sir! Are your tail lights filmed or hard plastic covered?
Thank you sir! Tail lights are actually a tinted clear coat. I had a body shop permanently smoke them for me, however it's smooth as glass and polishable just like a clear coat.

I think this looks great!

I have messed around with dip for over a year but haven't done a whole car...been considering it just for something fun and new for sure...and since they have the bright red now I have considered doing that also...I did do a whole golf cart and for the MOST part came out great minus the hood for some reason textured and was uneven.

Did you apply it to the whole car with a paint gun and compressor? I bought one and have done a few things with it but have trouble getting the pressure and gun settings perfect and honestly gave up on it...last try was the golf cart and the hood texture scared me from doing my own car.

Did my wheels (peeled up recently). Roof of the car (came out WAY textured and uneven and had to peel up which was a nightmare since it was not even and little strips would pull up and not the whole sheet AND some of it is still stuck in seals and all). Did the door handles and mirrors (which has held up a year and I really like). And of course emblems on the car and my truck and my truck wheels as well.

I do know that getting it off of vinyl emblems is a bit harder than paint...one thing to watch for when you do decide to peel it up.

Prep wise what did you tape off on the exterior? Or did you peel it off everything you didn't want it on? That kinda worries me as I have had it peel up beyond body lines at times and would hate to redo an entire panel over a small tear...

Matte red would look pretty awesome, here is a vid of one I saw on youtube, its more of a matte clearcoat over torred if you ask me but very different.
As far as the dip I used a Graco 3900 system from Lowes... all I can say is that it worked wonders. I used an airless wagner gun when we did my buddie's chevy avalanche however I was not impressed by its performance. I shelled out an extra few bucks for a quality hvlp paint system and it was definitely a huge difference. The control of the airflow compared to the airless wagner was like night and day. You can do even light coats or even heavy coats that dry like an even sheet of glass. Very minimal amounts of texture and only because I got lazy and was whipping my wrist around way too far away from the surface. The Graco was very forgiving I'd have to say. I'd look into an hvlp if I were you... if not the Graco then the Earlex brand I heard was good also. Coats were even, 10x better than you could ever get with a rattle can of plastidip, trust me I've tried both. With the prep, I taped off windows with about 2 inches of gap along with the wheel which i put plastic bags over... other than that I taped off the grill so I wont soak the radiator behind it with dip. Everything else got painted on that wasnt glass. Headlights, foglights, tailights, gas cap, side mirrors... everything got layered in dip. The key is as soon as you are done with the last coat of dip, you wait a few minutes and start peeling off EVERYTHING. Your body lines will be flawless as long as you start peeling as soon as the last coat is tacky to the touch. DO NOT wait over night for it all to dry, you will pull up panels you dont want to. I learned the hard way, but as soon as that last coat is on and give it 5 minutes or so to where it is tacky, start pulling newspaper off the glass. Then you can peel headlights and taillights, then any other detail trim. If you do that then the dip will peel perfectly according to the body lines as they advertise it to do, I was very surprised but cant knock it because it worked!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love it. Seriously considering this on my car. It reminds me of the Punisher's ride. I saw a Charger @ Soldier's field here in Chicago in the parking garage so I know first hand how GOOD this can look in person.

Looks like you did a heck of a job too. Enjoy it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have words to describe how badass your car looks in flat black, I'm doing mine in september, right now im changing wheels and tires (lots of money), I'm doing it with some pros here in Miami, cant wait to see it all black everything.
question: where did u buy the chin spoiler?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks Great. Car needs lowered to give is that final "skunkworks" look.
Definitely is next up on my list, dont worry!

I love it. Seriously considering this on my car. It reminds me of the Punisher's ride. I saw a Charger @ Soldier's field here in Chicago in the parking garage so I know first hand how GOOD this can look in person.

Looks like you did a heck of a job too. Enjoy it
I'd say go for it! Best mod i've done to date. Just do some good research on the dipyourcar forum and you'll love your results. You will love the reactions you get from ppl on the road!

I don't have words to describe how badass your car looks in flat black, I'm doing mine in september, right now im changing wheels and tires (lots of money), I'm doing it with some pros here in Miami, cant wait to see it all black everything.
question: where did u buy the chin spoiler?
Your gonna love it, hope it all goes well for you! Be sure to post pics. As far the chin spoiler, ordered it through my dealership, took it home and tried to install myself, was back the next day to have them put it on... was a pain in the butt and not quick swap, but a must do mod if you ask me, completely changes the look of the front end.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
you did a good job..came out great.
I only use PD to cover/change what I think doesn't look good or match.
I think the HO paint is great looking and would not want to cover that up...cool thing is though about PD it's easy to peel off if/when you want to go back to HO.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looks great, you did a great job. Pasti-dip is cool sh$t. I have my full rockers from bumper to bumper and flares done on my dodge mega it looks great being two tone on mineral gray truck imo.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did this when I saw it. :puke:Should be loads of fun getting all that plastic goo out of places.
Ppl either love it or hate it. But for now i'm loving even tho looking back at my old pics I'm starting to miss that H/O. However it peels off like a dream, all in one sheet of vinyl off each panel... even cracks and body lines will come up with it. Wouldnt have done it if it were going to be a pain or mess going back to stock.

Looks great, you did a great job. Pasti-dip is cool sh$t. I have my full rockers from bumper to bumper and flares done on my dodge mega it looks great being two tone on mineral gray truck imo.
Great use for it! Truck looks great with that added. The uses for this stuff are endless really, and it's there for years until you are ready to take it off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts