Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2018 TA 2 weeks ago. I had no idea the care requirements for matte paint. so i researched and had a guy wrap the hood in xpel stealth. it looks like shit. and this guy is no piker. he said the hood was very rough so there is only so much they can do to smooth it out. here is his text to me:

As for the streaks. As the film dries and if it leaves any light areas, that means there’s rough areas on the hood. We went over it with a clay bar mitt very lightly so it wouldn’t leave marks from the rubbing. But the Hood was pretty rough to start. If the light areas can be smoothed our it may be ok. If they increase in visibility, the hood is going to have to be smoothed our somehow. Problem is if you go over it with a clay bar it may and most likely smooth out the matte surface. That being said, if you put film back over it you shouldn’t see any difference. Only when the film is off the hood. It felt pretty smooth when we installed it so I was hoping it would dry smooth. Might not be the case. First try rubbing any light areas with something flat. If the light streak go away, we can just smooth out the whole area. Just have to wait until all the water has dried up from the adhesive.

so we are at 48rs post wrap and no improvement at all.

my question is, is this a warranty claim? or do people have this sort of issue all the time with matte hoods from Dodge? im just wondering what the hell to do if we cant get this hood smoothed out. any input would be awesome. thanks.

·
Registered
681 Posts
You want a warranty claim on a hood you had wrapped? If there was a problem when you bought the car why didn't you take it back immediately? The owners manual has all the information you need in it to care for the hood. I've had no problems with mine and would never get it wrapped.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you guys misunderstand so let me start over. First of all I love the TA that’s why I bought it so it’s definitely the right challenger for me I love the hood I just want to protect it and keep it nice. I had it wrapped for that very reason. I don’t know anything about Matte paint And I am learning as I go. The warranty question was in regards to the state of the hood prior to being wrapped. The installer said the hood was very rough because it wasn’t properly cleaned when it was delivered or so that was his impressions. So if I return the car to the dealer and point out to them that the hood is rough in which case does not allow the film to sit right maybe they can fix the
Rough patches on the hood before I have it wrapped again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Black Label, I understand where you are coming from. I did research before buying the T/A and knew matte would be extra work. I also asked my tint/vinyl guy about wrapping the hood and he said no way. He has done it on other cars and apparently has had issues, even with Xpel stealth. I decided to follow the instructions provided with the car and use products just for matte paint.

I am not sure I would consider my hood “rough” but or course it isnt going to feel like clear coat. I have used a matte paint sealant (Chemical Guys) and am very happy with the results and the protection. Now a bird turd doesn’t worry me as much.

Also be sure and avoid automatic, touchless of course, car washes. Most of them use gloss enhancers. Matte is not easy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
The finish on the T/A hood does have a slight texture. That is normal, probably causing the issue with the wrap, and not a warranty thing.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
This isn't warranty work and Dodge isn't at fault for the dealer not properly cleaning the car, as you claim, so good luck getting the dealer to budge, which they won't.

Seems like your installer was unfamiliar with matte paint.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
If you are going to get the hood re-wrapped how about using the same wrap on the top and trunk? It may not be as good for a hot surface like the hood but you should get a few good years out of it. Dodge used paint for a reason, I'll bet durability was one of them.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
I had my hood wrapped in XPel Stealth and you can't even tell it's wrapped!!! It's important to take to a shop that is certified and has done this sort of thing on matt/satin finishes before. The guy that did mine has been in the wrapping business for 25 years.
I am sorry this happened to you but to fix it correctly will be expensive. If the Matt/satin finish has been messed up with a clay bar (as I expect it has) you will have to get the hood re-painted and then think about how to care for it. The Xpel is great because I can use anything I want on it to clean it without worrying about messing up the matt/satin finish.
Below is my car wrapped in Xpel

Reactions: BilletTA392

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looks great hunttriumph! I need to have another installer take a look at mine I guess...

Could you get a close up on the hood scoop and how they finished the wrap there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This isn't warranty work and Dodge isn't at fault for the dealer not properly cleaning the car, as you claim, so good luck getting the dealer to budge, which they won't.

Seems like your installer was unfamiliar with matte paint.
im not claiming anything nor am i blaming the dealer, i was just asking questions on a forum from people who have more experience than i have. if it came off that way then i mis-spoke.

my installer is very well known and very highly regarded. im getting the wrap removed thursday, and ill wait until then to make any decisions on what to do next. im not worried about it, worse case i pull off all the vinyl and get the hood painted in gloss black and call it a day. just a matter of finding out if damage was done. life goes on either way.

·
Registered
6,575 Posts
Although not a T/A I had my hood painted "Hot Rodder" black at a local body shop, rear spoiler and top of the header panel too. I also have flat black vinyl R/T stripes down the side of the car. The "345 Hemi" was hand painted by Guy Schivley, a local car guy. I use Mequiares Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere and then use Quick Exterior Detailer on it and it looks great and is Matte Black safe. There are fingerprints on it in this pic. because at the time of the photo I just got the car back from being lettered.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,936 Posts
Looks great hunttriumph! I need to have another installer take a look at mine I guess...

Could you get a close up on the hood scoop and how they finished the wrap there?

Thanks!
I don't have a photo of that spot, it's so hard to photograph that area but I can tell you NOT to tuck the Xpel into or underneath the plastic grill because it will start bunching up. The Company that makes Xpel has told their dealer network to trim just a bit outside of the grill surround otherwise it won't stay put with vibrations or the expanding and contracting plastic in that area.

Reactions: Recontango

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you guys misunderstand so let me start over. First of all I love the TA that’s why I bought it so it’s definitely the right challenger for me I love the hood I just want to protect it and keep it nice. I had it wrapped for that very reason. I don’t know anything about Matte paint And I am learning as I go. The warranty question was in regards to the state of the hood prior to being wrapped. The installer said the hood was very rough because it wasn’t properly cleaned when it was delivered or so that was his impressions. So if I return the car to the dealer and point out to them that the hood is rough in which case does not allow the film to sit right maybe they can fix the
Rough patches on the hood before I have it wrapped again.
If the state of the hood was a problem before it was wrapped, the installer should have informed you of that problem, and asked you if you wanted to a) continue with the wrap or b) address the issue with Dodge. Once the wrap is done, you're on your own.

·
Registered
145 Posts
im not claiming anything nor am i blaming the dealer, i was just asking questions on a forum from people who have more experience than i have. if it came off that way then i mis-spoke.

my installer is very well known and very highly regarded. im getting the wrap removed thursday, and ill wait until then to make any decisions on what to do next. im not worried about it, worse case i pull off all the vinyl and get the hood painted in gloss black and call it a day. just a matter of finding out if damage was done. life goes on either way.
What vinyl are you pulling off? The Roof and trunk lid?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If the state of the hood was a problem before it was wrapped, the installer should have informed you of that problem, and asked you if you wanted to a) continue with the wrap or b) address the issue with Dodge. Once the wrap is done, you're on your own.
My installer didn't give me that luxury.

Underestimated the job, didn't finish it on time, and put some nice scratches on my paint.

Then refused to give me a refund or pay for the repairs. Good times.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My installer didn't give me that luxury.

Underestimated the job, didn't finish it on time, and put some nice scratches on my paint.

Then refused to give me a refund or pay for the repairs. Good times.

That's unfortunate. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, call the credit card company and put the charge in dispute because they didn't do the job properly. Document and take pictures.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
That's unfortunate. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, call the credit card company and put the charge in dispute because they didn't do the job properly. Document and take pictures.
I did, they took their side because the contract I signed said they didn't cover "accidental damages".

Scratches spanning the entire length of both my doors are "accidental".

1 - 20 of 25 Posts