Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't drive my SRT8 everyday. I owned three different R/T's before I finally moved up to the SRT8. The thing that has been slapping me in the face is how to describe the way the car handles vs. the R/T. My conclusion is that my SRT8 is the most German handling American car I have ever driven. I know the car has old Mercedes E Class pieces in the design but my take is that the car feels more like a sport or M series BMW.
Ok I said it. I'm done.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I read your post and didn't come across any 28" wheels or lambo doors, no reason to flame! :)

I wish i could of afforded an srt8, but my allowance only allowed for a R/T, but I am still very happy with it.

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
With your experience, how much "stiffer" or "harsher" is the SRT compared to the RT's that you've had??

No flames comparing any car to a "MB"

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I've never driven a Bimmer or Benz. But I do know the SRT Challenger is the best damn Dodge I've ever driven.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The overall chasis feels a good bit more tight. The response through the steering wheel is firmer and stiffer as far as steering effort. There was never anything about the way my R/T's drove that bothered me. I love the R/T. I wish I could afford a Mopar 10. I have a dealer breathing hard down my back. If I could have one of each I would.
To be fair I would not have bought an SRT8 but I began to notice the prices moving down on extremely low mileage cars to that of the R/T so being the wheeler dealer I am, I found one that met my criteria (which is very tough) and I bought it. Now I want a IE. 392 but I have to continue to remind myself that I am driving an SRT8 with less than 1000 total miles and I have about $32,000.00 in it. There's a lot of difference in 32K and 48K. I am sure a nice IE 392 will come along in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Nope, no flame here either. No question the SRT had more to offer... and thus more $$$. I debated an SRT but shied away because of the price of gas and price of tires. I drive my R/T a lot (on vacation now) and didn't want to be replacing high dollar tires every 5K.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Consider yourself flamed. I've always thought bmw and benz are some of the most over-priced, underperforming vehicles out there.

I wouldn't even mention either of them with SRT8.

My job here is done.

·
Banned
117 Posts
I've always thought bmw and benz are some underperforming vehicles out there.

I wouldn't even mention either of them with SRT8.
What planet are you living in bro? Put the ZZ top albums away and get out of the cabin and test drive some cars. :notallthere:

·
Registered
557 Posts
What planet are you living in bro? Put the ZZ top albums away and get out of the cabin and test drive some cars. :notallthere:
I live on planet Earth. For the money spent on a bmw or benz, a Challenger with the same money in it will destroy either of those pretenders.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I LOVE the SRT suspension, it really is worlds apart from the R/T, when cornering @ high speeds or just stupidly going down a curvy road the lower and stiffer suspension just lets you "hug" the curves easier, it's not harsh either like a Porsche would be in example, bumps etc don't bother me at all, the only issue on the SRT-8 is parking due to the lowered suspension + long hood that the Challenger has, you pull up too close and you'll crush your lower bumper due to that inch less of height...

Both the R/T and the SRT-8 handle fantastic though, it just really depends on how you drive, the stiffer, lower suspension of the SRT-8 is going to naturally be better when "racing" so to speak, and to me it doesn't sacrifice comfort.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I've never driven a Bimmer or Benz. But I do know the SRT Challenger is the best damn Dodge I've ever driven.

Agreed, and then some.

I have been in the new car dealer business since 1979 and I have driven lots of nice cars in my business life. My (tainted) view is this car is the nicest automobile I have ever driven. It is balanced, poised, predictable, brutally fast, comfortable, well equipped (but not too gizmo-encumbered), damn good looking and just plain enjoyable.

:guiness:

·
Registered
9,667 Posts
...and for less than $500 bucks the R/T folks can enjoy the srt suspension if they want.
MOPAR PERFORMANCE SRT SUSPENSION UPGRADE FOR 08 TO 2010 SE & R/T CHARGER/300/ AND CHALLENGER PN P5155435
That's exactly why I asked for a comparison. I wouldn't mind the lower ride and look, but I'm perfectly happy with my ride and overall handling of the RT Classic.

I just don't want to screw up the "comfort" that I feel the RT has. I always go by the old saying " ya don't get something for nothin'", so I'm leary about the SRT spring and shock kit. Great price on these kits.

I've been around a TON of cars at my old age, and the Challenger feels "tight" and solid. The MB can be felt in several ways.

I can always tell "what" the car will do, and I like that. Now the styling, well, that's why we're here at this forum. Modern day Classic IMO.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You will not be dissapointed with the ride. It is still smooth but it just feels much more capable. However I am sure the rack helps. I know that the 2010's have an optional rack. I am not sure if it is the same as the SRT8's though.

You can save a few bucks and get you shocks and spings from Evan. Challenger 2008-2010 - Take Off Auto Parts.com OEM Wheels & Parts at DIY Prices! Buy and $AVE!
Since I started this thread I cannot recommend The above mentioned vendor due to a dispute I personally had with his company. I lost several hundred dollars in my purchase of damaged goods from this company.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I don't drive my SRT8 everyday. I owned three different R/T's before I finally moved up to the SRT8. The thing that has been slapping me in the face is how to describe the way the car handles vs. the R/T. My conclusion is that my SRT8 is the most German handling American car I have ever driven. I know the car has old Mercedes E Class pieces in the design but my take is that the car feels more like a sport or M series BMW.
Ok I said it. I'm done.
I went from a 2001 BMW M5. The SRT8 is definitely stiffer than the M5 in sport mode. The M5 is easier to drive faster on winding roads, is more "neutral" and has better steering feel. But then again, the M5 initial cost is 2X my SRT8. Problem with the M5 is that something goes wrong every time you get into the car. Way too complex for its own good.

The SRT8 is much easier to drive smoothly off the line. Handling is nearly as good. I just wish the steering and clutch were a little heavier.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
There's no reason to flame here Amigo...
I own an SRT8 and a Benz and I can safely say they are both world class.
There's a lot of Benz in the Challenger (and that's a good thing).
Comparing a Challenger to a BMW or Benz just shows the level of class/refinement the Challenger is elbow to elbow with.
Not sure where things will end up now that Fiat is in the picture...Time will tell.
JMHO....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I read your post and didn't come across any 28" wheels or lambo doors, no reason to flame! :)

I wish i could of afforded an srt8, but my allowance only allowed for a R/T, but I am still very happy with it.
did he ever end up doing that? i remember a while back there was some dude who wanted to lift his challenger to fit 28s under it. i'd like to see a picture of that so i can lol.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
Hey - I wrenched an SRT suspension with custom drop springs under GHOST and I LOVE LOVE LOVE corners

only problem is I cant seem to find 28" rims to go with my planned Lambo doors :)

I have owned two BMWs and three Porsche - LOVED the handling - love the same handling in the best retro-musclecar now as well

1 - 20 of 25 Posts