Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dealer took a 2016 R/T Shaker w/6000 miles in on trade and I'm thinking about it. Power wise, I'm fine with the SXT but the shaker and 6sp might push me to the R/T.

It's my 2nd favorite color (Go Mango) as opposed to my Yellow Jacket SXT Blacktop. But, it is a stick and I really don't know if I want a stick for a DD even though I don't have a commute and work from home. He said could take it for a day and just see. Might do that. I also don't like the polished aluminum wheels nearly as much as the black wheels on my car. I've read that there are clutch mods and shifter mods that make it more enjoyable- comments on these?

Also, any common problems with this year/engine? I've seen a few people complaining about water pumps. Anything else I should think about?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
So, my dealer took a 2016 R/T Shaker w/6000 miles in on trade and I'm thinking about it. Power wise, I'm fine with the SXT but the shaker and 6sp might push me to the R/T.

It's my 2nd favorite color (Go Mango) as opposed to my Yellow Jacket SXT Blacktop. But, it is a stick and I really don't know if I want a stick for a DD even though I don't have a commute and work from home. He said could take it for a day and just see. Might do that. I also don't like the polished aluminum wheels nearly as much as the black wheels on my car. I've read that there are clutch mods and shifter mods that make it more enjoyable- comments on these?

Also, any common problems with this year/engine? I've seen a few people complaining about water pumps. Anything else I should think about?

If you like your wheels better, could always tell them to swap them out.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
DON'T DO IT MAN!!!! You will fall in love with that Shaker and that 6-Speed manual!!! I had only owned autos (in a Challenger) for many years and I made a mistake of test driving a stick with a Shaker at my local dealer and within a few days it was home with me!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DON'T DO IT MAN!!!! You will fall in love with that Shaker and that 6-Speed manual!!! I had only owned autos (in a Challenger) for many years and I made a mistake of test driving a stick with a Shaker at my local dealer and within a few days it was home with me!

They have a brand new green 2017 just like yours on the lot too. I like the orange better and with only 6K miles, it is a lot cheaper but the green one is discounted 10K.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Both transmissions are great. I loved my 6 speed until my commute went from 5 to 45 miles one way through very terrible traffic, multiple bottlenecks. Going with the A8 made it much better. With your situation it sounds like you could go either way and be happy.

As far as mods for the M6 some feel the shifter throw is too long, it never bothered me. There is also the stupid skip shift which in certain situations will shift you into 4th when you try to shift from 1st to 2nd (a fuel efficiency thing I think?) With the way I drove, it rarely happened but it is an easy mod to eliminate the skip shift if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Don't do it man.......they try and suck you in dude.
I went from a 2015 SXT PLUS to a 2016 R/T/SHAKER PLUS and now a 2016 HELLCAT.
It's all about the POWER...........Me Likey Power........

·
Registered
1 Posts
You only live once, if you want it and can afford it, go for it! If I didn't have such a long commute, I would have definitely gone with the 6sp. But between 100+ miles a day commuting to work in a stick with a bad left knee, the A8 was my only option when I bought my r/t. I love mine, great power, super comfortable, good fuel economy, what's not to like. But as others have said, it will definitely leave you wanting more, I've already been itching for an SRT or HC when I am ready to trade in. Do it!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Now that is seriously good point. IF you have ANY designs on more power, DO IT NOW! Much cheaper than buying the car 4 times. I've seen it!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Do it! Do it! JUMP!!!!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Man, if I was you I'd have that car in my garage yesterday! Don't worry about the manual transmission, it becomes second nature once you're used to it. With a stick, you can really control the shaker movement as well. Go Mango is the best of the current high impact colors too. Post some pics of that bad boy once you lock her down.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, if I was you I'd have that car in my garage yesterday! Don't worry about the manual transmission, it becomes second nature once you're used to it. With a stick, you can really control the shaker movement as well. Go Mango is the best of the current high impact colors too. Post some pics of that bad boy once you lock her down.

I've driven sticks since high school (long time ago, lol) and I ride motorcycles regularly and enjoy shifting. More power is not the main goal, just looking for more engagement and fun. Balance is a key factor in a fun car or bike. I can ride anything I want and I usually take my 85 Yamaha RZ350 2-stroke. Nowhere near the fastest but scores a 10 on the fun scale. That's what I'm after.

BTW, I see you have a 66 Mustang GT coupe- I restored a 66 Mustang GT coupe about 25 years ago. Sweet looking but no power brakes, no power steering, 3 speed and no AC. It was great to look at, but that's about it...

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts

Wow! You were assimilated quickly! Must of had low resistance...:)

LOL, enjoy the 'Cat! I know I am!

My path to Hell...
1. 2012 SRT Yellow Jacket M6
2. 2015 Black Scat Pack A8
3. 2015 Jazz Blue Hellcat A8

It took 5 years for me...:)

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I've driven sticks since high school (long time ago, lol) and I ride motorcycles regularly and enjoy shifting. More power is not the main goal, just looking for more engagement and fun. Balance is a key factor in a fun car or bike. I can ride anything I want and I usually take my 85 Yamaha RZ350 2-stroke. Nowhere near the fastest but scores a 10 on the fun scale. That's what I'm after.

BTW, I see you have a 66 Mustang GT coupe- I restored a 66 Mustang GT coupe about 25 years ago. Sweet looking but no power brakes, no power steering, 3 speed and no AC. It was great to look at, but that's about it...
I think you'll find that a manual 5.7 Shaker will be high on the fun meter. I've had 392s and autos and my current R/T Plus M6 is one of my favorites to drive. I enjoy it more than I did my loaded Scat Pack A8 a couple years back.

Nice Mustang! My car has the very same options which is to say it has none other than the GT package! I've owned it since high school back in the 90's and restored it with my dad. It's a Day-2 build with a performance built '70 302 (302 was in it when I got it) and the 3 speed manual. People tell me I should swap in a 4 speed (or even a 5 speed) but I never see any more 3 speed manuals on the road anymore. They've all been turned into 4 speeds! Lol. Here's a pic of it at the Daytona Turkey Run show.

Attachments

·
Banned
87 Posts
Definitely go with a Barton Shifter if you do buy it. It will make it much more enjoyable to shift through the gears.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
Redline red cat

Wow! You were assimilated quickly! Must of had low resistance...:)

LOL, enjoy the 'Cat! I know I am!

My path to Hell...
1. 2012 SRT Yellow Jacket M6
2. 2015 Black Scat Pack A8
3. 2015 Jazz Blue Hellcat A8

It took 5 years for me...:)
It's those damn long cold winters in central NY that gives you time to think and wonder and justify buying a car that you will most likely never use it to it's full potential. :jawdrop:
But I still love my CAT >:)

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the orange car was sold last week but is still on their website so they put me in this new 17 green car as a loaner while my car is being serviced. They really want to get rid of it. Built on 1-17, so a year and a half old. Stripes are fading already. Not sure I want a green one. The engine also sounds like it has a tick to it- not injectors but it runs great. 6 sp is a blast. It would have to be the deal of the decade, or century. I'll see when they call me to pick up my car from service.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Well, the orange car was sold last week but is still on their website so they put me in this new 17 green car as a loaner while my car is being serviced. They really want to get rid of it. Built on 1-17, so a year and a half old. Stripes are fading already. Not sure I want a green one. The engine also sounds like it has a tick to it- not injectors but it runs great. 6 sp is a blast. It would have to be the deal of the decade, or century. I'll see when they call me to pick up my car from service.
I would be very happy with a new 17. I got a new 16 just over a year ago. Awesome deal! It has a warranty and vinyl can be treated or replaced. It is an awesome looking car! Yes it has to be a killer deal. KILLER! 20% off at least.
Good luck, let us know.

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,880 Posts
All the stripes on the Shaker cars look kind of faded, compared to my T/A they definitely look faded but they are not. I have tried really hard to like Green Go (that’s what the 2017 Shaker you have has on it) but I just don’t. I do however love my 2015 in Sublime Green!! It has a lot of metal flake that causes this car to glow in the sunshine!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
That would most likely be the famous "Hemi tick". I was told by a Sr Tech once when I asked about my new '13 and the ticking and he told me corporate told them to remember this: "if it ain't ticking, something's wrong." Just Google "Hemi tick" once.

Nice looking car. I think Green Go looks good when it has stripes to offset the color a little.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts