Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It is in Battery Saver mode. And it is very hard to steer, the dealer is now saying that the power steering pump is out. I do not know if these car are Electric Steering, but they must have at least electric assist. How else could you press a button and change the weight of steering from Comfort Normal Sport? I hope I am wrong about this. Otherwise I have lost all faith in the dealer being able to fix it. As it is I have very little.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,305 Posts
Yeah the +2015 3.6/5.7/6.4 use electric assist steering (no mechanical pump except on the 6.2). If they are just replacing parts then they are not diagnosing the problem and I would find a different dealer. Didn't they replace the alternator only to find out it was not the problem? This bugs me because a lot of the tests can be done with the dealer scan tool.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,305 Posts
Yes they did replace the Alternator. After we replaced it already!
WTF...I would seriously take it to a different dealership. BTW I forgot you are talking about a 2015 hell cat which is hydraulic steering from 2015-2018 narrow bodies. I think for 2019 it switched to electronic. So not sure why they would say it is the electronic steering?

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
+1 to new dealer - those dealer employees sound like total f**king mouth-breathers. I hope you get your shit fixed dude.

Also, if you are having voltage issues from PCM, the CEL lights / alarms you're getting are likely caused from that, and not caused by the nature of the alarm (if that makes sense). I mean, only so many things can break at once!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Little confusion here haha. First off let me say again the Hellcat belongs to my friend. I talked him into buying it, because I have a 2016 Scat Pack. My car has the steering comfort levels, and I gather now that the Hellcat does not. He has had the car for almost 2 months but it has only been running for like a week and a half of that time. It only has 16k miles on it. So forgive me and him for not knowing his doesn't have that option. Secondly with that confusion the dealer is not saying that its a problem with Electric steering. They are saying that the Power Steering pump is bad. So with the confusion of weather is was electric or not makes a big difference. Still wtf how can this car have so many different problems with such low mileage? Unless somehow the bad PS pump is dragging on the Alternator so hard that its causing it to not charge. I just don't know anymore. But at least I have gained a little more faith in the dealer now.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,305 Posts
Thanks for the clarification Ons71. Doubt the power steering pump is affecting how alternator is charging/spinning....if it was RPMs would have to be way low during idle for that to happen. Like I said, dealership has the tools to run the diagnostics to see if all modules are working properly so they should not be throwing parts at it. Sounds like the IBS is working as the HC is going into battery saver mode. If the alternator was replaced (twice if that is correct) then logic dictates it's either a bad battery, PCM (voltage regulator) or possibly bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Thanks for the clarification Ons71. Doubt the power steering pump is affecting how alternator is charging/spinning....if it was RPMs would have to be way low during idle for that to happen. Like I said, dealership has the tools to run the diagnostics to see if all modules are working properly so they should not be throwing parts at it. Sounds like the IBS is working as the HC is going into battery saver mode. If the alternator was replaced (twice if that is correct) then logic dictates it's either a bad battery, PCM (voltage regulator) or possibly bad connection somewhere.

The battery was the first thing replaced. Yes 2 Alternators now have been replaced. The reason the P/S pump dragging popped into my head, is because the very first thing we noticed that seemed odd. Every now and then when the car was idling the RPM would start to surge. It would go from 900ish to 750 a constant lope kinda like a car with a huge blower. You rev it once and it would go away. It did not do this the first few days he owned it. Then a couple of days after we noticed that, he was driving the car and the steering got hard (as if no power steering) and then it went into Battery Saver mode. So that is the point that I started assuming is was electric steering. And that it was just a side effect of of the battery saver mode. We have been trying to avoid replacing the PCM because it has a pulley swap and a factory tune. But that is probably going to have to be the next step. Unless the battery saver mode is a side effect of the PS pump.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,305 Posts
The battery was the first thing replaced. Yes 2 Alternators now have been replaced. The reason the P/S pump dragging popped into my head, is because the very first thing we noticed that seemed odd. Every now and then when the car was idling the RPM would start to surge. It would go from 900ish to 750 a constant lope kinda like a car with a huge blower. You rev it once and it would go away. It did not do this the first few days he owned it. Then a couple of days after we noticed that, he was driving the car and the steering got hard (as if no power steering) and then it went into Battery Saver mode. So that is the point that I started assuming is was electric steering. And that it was just a side effect of of the battery saver mode. We have been trying to avoid replacing the PCM because it has a pulley swap and a factory tune. But that is probably going to have to be the next step. Unless the battery saver mode is a side effect of the PS pump.
I have read on the HC forum that some guys get a lopey idle occasionally...one guy said a PCM flash fixed his. As for the steering, I can see if the HC had electronic steering, that in Battery Saver mode the electronic assist would be set to a minimum as an effort by the BCM to shed some electrical load. But since it is hydraulic I can only guy that the pump is faulty and dragging the accessory belt but I really don't think it would impact charging system...although I am not very familiar with the HC engine setup.

Anyways, hope you guys find the issue soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yeah its just crazy to think the power steering went out, immediately followed by a charging issue. But I don't know at this point. Hopefully the dealer can figure it out. Or take it too another dealer. Anybody want to buy a Hellcat Low Miles!

·
Registered
8 Posts
any
Thanks for starting this thread for me Ons71.

All mods were done by the factory in 2017 in Peoria Arizona and the car was running fine when I bought it 3 weeks ago.

The voltage did jump around a bit, about 13 to 14. 2 volts when I gassed it or let off. Also the car would idle a little ruff after blipping the throttle (almost seems like a vacuum leak) when just sitting in neutral. Didn't seem like a huge issue.

Then a few days later I got a "battery saver on" message and check engine light. I was pulling into a parking spot when it happened and a lost power steering, that sucked!

The code is P2174-something about air flow/calibration: seems unrelated??

I also got an amber light that looks like a lighting bolt with these () around it, only faceing out.

I'm at a dealer now and they are diagnosing it. I'll update with more info when I get it.

Thanks for any help!
any update man? same problem here in AZ

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I have read on the HC forum that some guys get a lopey idle occasionally...one guy said a PCM flash fixed his. As for the steering, I can see if the HC had electronic steering, that in Battery Saver mode the electronic assist would be set to a minimum as an effort by the BCM to shed some electrical load. But since it is hydraulic I can only guy that the pump is faulty and dragging the accessory belt but I really don't think it would impact charging system...although I am not very familiar with the HC engine setup.

Anyways, hope you guys find the issue soon.
Believe my HC manifested this the other day. Started it up cold and because it was early and I was concerned about the noise rather than let the engine idle a bit and get a bit -- just a bit -- of warmth I shifted into D right away.

Pulling out of the parking space was ok but as I got on the road the car felt a bit strange kind as if the idle speed was varying a bit. I checked the gauges and saw nothing to be alarmed by.

Decided to just drive the car and the next time the engine speed went back to idle there was no sign of any untoward behavior.

Engine had been running fine the day before when I drove it 17 miles to the dealer to get a new radio. On the way back the engine was fine. Filled up the tank with Shell V-Power. First time since gas prices shot back up again. Thought it might be "bad" gas but the engine's fine.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,305 Posts
Funny you mention cold start variation in RPM. Something I experienced (since new) on my RT was on cold starts I would feel a fishbite when driving at low speeds. Since the 6.2 cam swap I really started to notice this which I thought was due to tune not being optimized to run the cam (i.e. idle spark and throttle were struggling to keep the engine running). Turns out it was the VVT system oscillating..which I incorrectly assumed kicked in because of the Catalyst heating tables. One guy on the HP tuners forum suspected it was oil temp related. Long story short, on a 2015 RT M6 the VVT enable RPM is set pretty low from the factory and bumping that up to a 6.4 tune made that disappear. Even the 2015 5.7 A8 have VVT enable set higher.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts