Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WARNING: Lengthy Post

Vehicle: 2012 Challenger R/T 6spd w/ STP, year-round daily driver
Objective: Make my ride sound like it looks & drives
User: 50-year-old married dad with a couple of teenage daughters
Budget: Under $1,000 installed

Requirements: Obtain a deep, rich and rumbly muscle-car tone without excessive rasp or bark. Vehicle must serve as family transportation up to 20% of the time, so it cannot be crazy-loud. Drone must be minimal.

Approach: For months I studied YouTube videos and read countless user reviews on ChallengerTalk and elsewhere. I sought out but identified relatively few in-person custom exhaust setups that sounded good to me. I narrowed prospective systems to either a manufactured cat-back or a pieced-together solution featuring just new mufflers/straight pipe.

Selection process: I’ve yet to read a bad review about SOLO Exhaust, so that one was high on my list. However, many commented that it absolutely roars under WOT, and that’s just not for me. I do not like the ‘NASCAR’ sound and need the tone to be mostly deep & rumbly.

Turning to MAGNAFLOW, their cat-backs seemed close to what I was after, but are over $1,000. I could not justify paying that much when lower-priced systems sound as good or better (for my taste). I considered replacing only my factory mufflers with Magnaflows and adding straight pipe in place of the resonators---a cost-effective route---but something made me feel that a pieced-together system would be a disappointment, especially in terms of possible drone.

Turning to MBRP, the sound seemed almost perfect: deep, rich, rumbly, not much bark, not crazy-loud, and their newer systems (post-2010) seem to have conquered the drone issue. The system seemed robust, well made & nicely-finished, the user reviews were mostly positive, and the $800 price was within budget.

Decision: MBRP. I’ve had the S7104409 Cool Duals cat-back installed for 2-3 weeks and am enjoying it more & more each day. I’d compare the sound to Zoomers, but not as much volume/loudness.

Cold starts are mildly thunderous until the system warms up and quiets down to a deep, smooth rumble. Idling is not very loud but DEEP-sounding. Partial-throttle fills the cabin with a muscular burble; outside it sounds like a low growl and then a mild lion’s roar. Step on it and a muscle-car tone develops with a rapid-frequency burble/purr that sounds like good glasspacks with just the right volume.

No real drone, just a slight resonance between 1,600-1,900 RPMs---I call it “micro-drone,” but many wouldn’t even notice it. It bothered me a bit at first but it doesn’t at all anymore.

Driving the car is a lot more fun now. I can actually hear the exhaust rather than motor only---and the car SOUNDS like a true muscle car.

Hear a little HERE: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7eF2qk9luyQjVldFJTWEVpR3M/view?pli=1

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks for the review. You complicated matters for me a bit :). I'm looking for about the same thing you described and want to keep it affordable. I've been look at solo and corsa. Corsa is a bit expensive unless I can get used. I haven't heard of MBRP so I'll put that on the list. The only thing that concerns me about your review is the drone. I have the auto and want to minimize the MDS drone (and yes, I want to keep my MDS). I know your system is for 6 speed, do you know if MBRP has automatic versions?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is only one version of the MBRP cat-back, so no special build for autos.

For what it's worth, I'm highly sensitive to drone and it's almost non-existent with this setup on my M6. Can't really tell you how it will sound/behave on an auto.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
The sound of an exhaust is very subjective and some are as polarized about catback brands as they are when it comes to Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. I love my MBRP catback. It's hard to beat the fit, finish, sound quality and performance for the price. I've had it for four and a half years now. Lot's of compliments. I even get lots of compliments from my neighbors. They say things like, "We can always tell when you're coming home and that's a good thing!" or, "We love hearing you drive away." And, Cannonball is right, the tips have a great retro look.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
We have MBRP also and like it, although it could be a little louder. I do feel it gave me a performance gain. 09 R/T auto. Best time 13.39 @105.6,

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds good. Wish I could turn the sound down on my Zoomers just a tiny bit. Love how deep they sound at all rpms, just a tad loud.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
364 Posts
I love the sound of my Borla S. Driving it now is like a great concert. >:)
As much as I love Sirius-XM and have it on 24/7 when I'm working, we found that ever since we equipped Baby with her Borla's, the radio stayed off. And so it was bye bye to Satellite Radio. I jokingly remark how sweet her drone is. Whatever it is, the sound is alive and breathing as we roll...in spirited fashion.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: I allowed a coworker to take my car for a spin earlier today, so this was the first time I heard it while someone else started her up and drove off.

Wow---the exhaust tone is freakin' awesome outside the car. Super deep purr, not too loud, no rasp.
Perfect.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
next time someone posts a "hey I love my new exhaust thread" without a youtube or sound clip should be banned at least for a week................LOL

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah, I know. FAIL! lol

I had a short clip of exterior and another of interior posted on YouTube and shared them here but, long story short, I don't have that account anymore and lost the files. Will work on that and share something via some other means asap.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts