Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
Great post, and good choice!

Had I gone with the 2014 Shaker I was looking at before I fell in love with the 2015s, I was going to with the MBRP Cat back also. Just felt it had just a little more bass than the Corsa, for less money.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Great post, and good choice!

Had I gone with the 2014 Shaker I was looking at before I fell in love with the 2015s, I was going to with the MBRP Cat back also. Just felt it had just a little more bass than the Corsa, for less money.
I love that this system has a not-too-loud but deep tone. Bass without drone.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well I got my Mopar quad tips to fit on my MBRP last night, looks and sounds great.
Cool. I'd like to see this.....but I'm still in love with the MBRP tips. They look kinda thin in photos, but they look really nice in person.
I'll get some pics.

MBRP tips aren't bad I just like The Mopar quad tips better since they are staggered to accommodate for the body curve. I'm gonna sell the MBRP tips, they sell for $90ea so maybe I can get $100 for the pair.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Cool. I'd like to see this.....but I'm still in love with the MBRP tips. They look kinda thin in photos, but they look really nice in person.
I love the MBRP tips too... looks more "retro" to me. I like how they stick out beyond the bumper. Reminds me of this:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
My Mopar factory tips were dual exit not the cheap single exit tips. The old challengers rear body was straight not curved like the plastic on ours. The straight body let the tips be parallel to the body lines, whereas on the new cars with straight non- staggered tips it gives the appearance of one of the dual exit tips sticks out further from the body than the other. Just didn't look right to me at all but I fixed that. If anyone needs s set of new MBRP tips I'll sell you these cheap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
JB1, I'm no expert on the subject, but my 2014 R/T classic factory tips were single exit with rectangle shape on each side like the pic attached.

The MBRP are quad and I believe the originals were also quad. It sounds like you're disappointed with the MBRP tips. If you don't mind me asking...What tips did you replace the MBRP tips with ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
JB1, I'm no expert on the subject, but my 2014 R/T classic factory tips were single exit with rectangle shape on each side like the pic attached.

The MBRP are quad and I believe the originals were also quad. It sounds like you're disappointed with the MBRP tips. If you don't mind me asking...What tips did you replace the MBRP tips with ?

My Mopar '14 came with the optional Mopar quad tips. I didnt like the MBRP tips because the are single wall and straight, whereas the Mopar tips ae staggeed meaning each tip of is diferent length so it sorta curves as the body does. The mopar quad tips aso have a nice rolled edge and are black powder coated inside Once you instalors you'll see the MBRP tips eing straight causes one tip to stick out approx 1" from the body versus the tip next to it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Here's a pic taken right before I started installing the MBRP kit, but I have these tips back on with MBRP kit now. Only difference is it sounds a hellofalot better lol
I'm not knocking the kit or trying to deter anyone from getting it, so please don't get me wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
JB1, thanks for all the great pics.

I can see why you like the MOPAR tips better from an aesthetic standpoint, as they definitely follow the contour of the bumper valance better. I'm surprised to learn that they sound different than the MBRP tips, but maybe this is due to (what seems to be) a larger opening than the MBRP tips have---it might be a megaphone effect?

I still love the look of the MBRP tips, though. They seem a little more 'raw' than the MOPAR tips, which I like in this case.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks JB1 for clearing that up… I had no idea your car came with the staggered tips. The Mopar quad staggered tips do have a better look. I have NOT received my MBRP kit yet, but it looks like the MBRP tip are NOT staggered. I don't know for sure if the original factory tips from 1970 cars were staggered or not. Here's a question: Do you have your Mopar staggered quad tips clamped on or welded to your 3" MBRP kit ?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
JB1, thanks for all the great pics.

I can see why you like the MOPAR tips better from an aesthetic standpoint, as they definitely follow the contour of the bumper valance better. I'm surprised to learn that they sound different than the MBRP tips, but maybe this is due to (what seems to be) a larger opening than the MBRP tips have---it might be a megaphone effect?

I still love the look of the MBRP tips, though. They seem a little more 'raw' than the MOPAR tips, which I like in this case.
Sorry, doesn't sound any different by changing tips, I meant MBRP kit sounds way better than stock

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Thanks JB1 for clearing that up… I had no idea your car came with the staggered tips. The Mopar quad staggered tips do have a better look. I have NOT received my MBRP kit yet, but it looks like the MBRP tip are NOT staggered. I don't know for sure if the original factory tips from 1970 cars were staggered or not. Here's a question: Do you have your Mopar staggered quad tips clamped on or welded to your 3" MBRP kit ?
1970's tips weren't staggered, but that lower panel wasn't curved like our cars either. My tips are clamped on, all you need is a male end of a ball/socket joint that's 2.50" inside diameter. That adaptor piece clamps to muffler then your tip clamps to that using the factory clamp/tip. That ball end adaptor needs to be approx 4" overall length depending on how far you want your tips to stick out. The muffler is adjustable on its mounts approx .5" front to back for final alignment. Another benefit I found of the Mopar tips is that it's mounted on a ball end so the positioning is infinite (up down left right pivot from center).
http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/2-50-304-stainless-ball-joint-male-3386.html

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
"That adaptor piece clamps to muffler then your tip clamps to that using the factory clamp/tip. That ball end adaptor needs to be approx 4" overall length depending on how far you want your tips to stick out. The muffler is adjustable on its mounts approx .5" front to back for final alignment."

The adaptor piece is the key… Thanks again JB1.

How about taking a dye grinder to the edges of the MBRP tips and making them staggered ? Nahhh, probably not.

Cheers ~

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I would install it with the MBRP tips first and see how you like it because most people do

·
Registered
68 Posts
Anyone care to comment about the MBRP mufflers that come with the kit ?

See pic …

Been reading, some people say they replace them with SLP bullet mufflers or removed altogether in favor if straight pipes ??

Not sure why there's an open chamber in the middle, probably to quiet things down. Any comments or thoughts ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Anyone care to comment about the MBRP mufflers that come with the kit ?

See pic …

Been reading, some people say they replace them with SLP bullet mufflers or removed altogether in favor if straight pipes ??

Not sure why there's an open chamber in the middle, probably to quiet things down. Any comments or thoughts ?
I have no interest in changing the tone of my MBRP exhaust.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Finished installing my MBRP system today. I am happy with the sound and performance of the kit. JB1, you were right, the staggered tips would look a lot better since the tail is slightly curved, but it's no big deal right now.
Looking forward to putting on some miles with the NEW exhaust. Cheers !

41 - 60 of 77 Posts