Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '09 Challenger R/T, 6 sp man. The previous owner installed an MBRP, 3" dia, stainless steel ehx. The drone is absolutely terrible. I've threatened to reinstall the OEM exh that came with the car, but would like a nice sound. I have read so many threads concerning exh combos etc that I am totally confused. I would hesitate to start cutting up this expensive MBRP, but can not stand the drone that accompanies it. Any chance that someone out there has the puuurfect solution to my problem. I want a nice sound, but w/o the drone. Also, is it economically feasable to sell & ship my MBRP? I'm not sure how it is pieced together, but it would appear that shipping chgs would be expensive. I know the OEM exh is very long & nearly impossible to ship w/o cutting it into pieces. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I'm really surprised to hear this, unless it's one of MBRPs early systems (pre-2010), which were not as well-tuned to reduce/eliminate drone. This is a system that I have been eyeing, as I prefer a very deep tone.

You may want to contact MBRP directly and discuss with them. I know that they offer 'Cool Duals' which are designed to negate drone----perhaps these can be added to your system??

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
As DJ Hemi had stated,your system may be a pre-2010.I have a friend who installed a MBRP on his 2008 SRT8 and there are NO drone issues at all.Also,the system sounds fanatastic,...a deep throaty rumble and at WOT it is blissful to the ears.I installed the CORSA Xtreme no-drone system on my 2009 R/T auto which I am very satisfied with,...however,if MBRP was manfufacturing their no-drone system back when I was deciding which system to purchase I very well may have installed it on my car.

MBRP offers their systems in the T304 0r T409 stainless steel of which the T304 is of better quality and will not take on the yellowish hue over time.However,the T409 is about $200 less than the T304.

MBRP Performance Exhaust

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
479 Posts
I bet he has the old system. The new ones have tuning tubes, which eliminate the drone. I have that system on my car, and it sounds incredible!

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure this exh is one of the first ones. The original owner bought the car in Oct 2008. He trailered it home from Houston to Memphis, then added Mopar CAI, MBRP exh, Billit Catch Can, etc. It's a 6 sp man, with all options. The drone is horrible. Wife refuses to ride in it! I've taken your advice & emailed MBRP. Would have much sooner, but could never locate the actual factory on line. If it can'y be satisfactorily modified I'll probably replace & sell it. I have the OEM ehx as well.

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe we should trade exhausts! LOL. I've either gotta modify this drone issue, sell the car, or return to the OEM exh which came with the car.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Maybe we should trade exhausts! LOL. I've either gotta modify this drone issue, sell the car, or return to the OEM exh which came with the car.
I was going to offer trading my 2009 R/T OEM exhaust with Blastin Bobs glass Packs for your system, but it sounds like you already have the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell me, are these "Tuning Tubes" on the newer MBRP exh actually adjustable so as to eliminate drone? Or are they fixed...non-adjustable? I've seen them mentioned countless times here on the forum and would like to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Tell me, are these "Tuning Tubes" on the newer MBRP exh actually adjustable so as to eliminate drone? Or are they fixed...non-adjustable? I've seen them mentioned countless times here on the forum and would like to know. Thanks.
They are welded in place, so they are not adjustable. But, no adjustment is necessary! Awesome sound, with no drone!

I even took it one step further--I removed the rear resonators, and replaced them with straight pipe. Now it sounds even better!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I have the MBRP on my '09 SRT and love it. Hopefully they can help you out by getting some tuning tubes added somehow.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Tuning tubes definitely sounds like the ticket, but if you can't get those, may want to explore getting a hold of the SRT8 rear resonators to install on your car. Using that with your MBRP ought to be a good middle ground between aftermarket exhaust sound and drone intervention.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
MCSS85,

I have the MBRP 3" Cat-Back on Green Man. Installed September, 2012. I removed the rear resonator last year and replaced with straight pipe. It's pretty loud and has some drone at 1900 RPM, but nothing like you describe. One thing I did was place several pieces of Hush-Mat and dense foam in the spare tire area. Some of the drone is acoustic resonances in the the body panels back there. That helped quiet it down. Lift the spare tire cover, remove it and start tapping around the inside. If a spot sounds hollow, that's where you put the Hush-Mat. Before pulling out your MBRP exhaust give the Hush-Mat a try.

Very Best,

Green Man

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put a MBRP S7102304 exhaust on my 2009 SRT8 back in 2009 it had a very bad drone problem. I put a new production MBRP S7102304 exhaust on my 2013 SRT8 and there is no drone what so ever and the S7102304 does not have the tuning tubes, the systems looked the same to me. I am very happy with the sound and quality of the new system.

Montrose

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Fairly surprised, the MBRP on my Avalanche didn't drone at all. Totally different, yes, but it seems like all of a company's exhausts drone or none of them do.

Their systems for diesel trucks are great from what I've heard...

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have heard people complain about Drone in EVERY single exhaust system on this Site....including..the MBRP...which you have....old versions, and NEW version. To date, it appears as if the only Exhaust System that TRULY has ZERO drone...is the Corsa Extreme....I got so confused...I finally decided to keep the stcok exhaust on my 2014 Auto RT Shaker....It has a nice little "rumble" to it...much more than the 2010 RT Classic I previously owned. I cannot tolerate ANY drone...so I'll keep the stock on mine....at least until I can afford (or justify) paying the $1800 for the Corsa Extreme system...Be careful when you hear people claim "NO DRONE"....

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I have heard people complain about Drone in EVERY single exhaust system on this Site....including..the MBRP...which you have....old versions, and NEW version. To date, it appears as if the only Exhaust System that TRULY has ZERO drone...is the Corsa Extreme....I got so confused...I finally decided to keep the stcok exhaust on my 2014 Auto RT Shaker....It has a nice little "rumble" to it...much more than the 2010 RT Classic I previously owned. I cannot tolerate ANY drone...so I'll keep the stock on mine....at least until I can afford (or justify) paying the $1800 for the Corsa Extreme system...Be careful when you hear people claim "NO DRONE"....
I'll just add that the Magnaflow Competition Series on my 392 M6 has no drone at all. Although, it's loud and you hear the exhaust under throttle for sure. But, there is never a resonance RPM where the sound is accentuated as "drone".

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I installed the MBRP S7104409 Cool Duals system on my '12 R/T 6spd a week ago. Super-deep tone at idle and low rpms, and a very minor bit of drone while between 1,600-1,900 RPMs while accelerating. Truly minor. I'm very sensitive to drone and others might not even detect the unwanted resonance.

I have added a bit of acoustic damping material in the spare tire well but might re-examine that to optimize material placement for best effect.

Overall, the MBRP sounds really good to me---nice, deep, throaty tone that builds to a vigorous purr at higher RPMs, and the wonderful burble on downshifting is intoxicating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They are welded in place, so they are not adjustable. But, no adjustment is necessary! Awesome sound, with no drone!

I even took it one step further--I removed the rear resonators, and replaced them with straight pipe. Now it sounds even better!
Are those tuning tubes supported only by the weld?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts