Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed today the MBRP exhaust and I have mixed feelings about it. First of all, I can feel some improvements in the performance and the car feels more responsive than before. Second, At WOT I can't really tell how the exhaust sounds because the Arrington CAI on my car is really loud and it is almost all what I hear, though I can tell that the car is louder now somehow. Third, it wasn't a perfect fit and the mechanic had to do some adjustments to make sure that the tips won't touch the plastic piece on the sides of the tips. Also, the mechanic showed me that the pipes are very close to the differential which could be a problem if the the pipes rattle and hit the differential. Lastly, I made the decision to buy this system after I have learned that MBRP added resonators and fixed the drone issue. Unfortunately, after seeing some pics of the MBRP drone free system and comparing it to what I have I can see that there are no resonators on my car. I guess Marylandspeed.com sold me the old system and I kinda feel like I have been fooled. Although I have checked the part number and it matches the part number on MBRP website. I have already paid $150 for installation, will pay the same again for taking in it off and again for the new one. So thats $300 in case I wanted to return it back and get a new one. What I am trying to say here is that there is drone, very loud drone, Its not very big of a deal if that MBRP added some hp to the wheels but I was hoping for a drone free system. I have emailed marylandspeed.com and now waiting to see what they have to say about this issue.

·
Banned
697 Posts
Here is the email I just sent this customer. Again, it is an unfortunate situation, but he was sent what he ordered, and don't have a way of taking back a used exhaust. I don't even have the part numbers for the new ones he is talking about...and according to MBRP..they are offered along side the old exhaust, not as a replacement.

I am sorry you are not happy, however there are not really any options to return a used exhaust. You were sent the part# you ordered and you installed it. After searching the forum, I see MBRP does have a no drone system now, but they have not sent us any documentation or part numbers. MBRP does not even have them listed on their own site. The new exhaust did not supersede the old ones, they are sold along side one another. The old style is louder, and the new ones are quieter. Also, there was no false advertising on our part, the old systems all have the correct part numbers and pictures, and are not being advertised as drone free or "new". I could not really even find a competitor selling the new ones to get a part number even. I can understand that you are upset, however it is ultimately the customers responsibility to make sure they are ordering the correct part. You can't really or the part number for the old system, and assume we are gonna send you a completely different part. You are free to contact MBRP, however I contacted my MBRP sales rep and he said basically the same thing. One part did not replace the other..they are sold side by side. No one I know of takes back used exhaust, and we unfortunately cannot eat a $700 used exhaust because of this.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is a thread around here somewhere that has pics of the drone free MBRP. IIRC there are pipes (one on each side) in front of the rear suspension that stick towards the front of the car. The owner did not note any installation issues and said the system was indeed drone free.

If your system does not have these frequency absorbing pipes then you did not get the drone free MBRP system.

Many on here that will say that you should have gone Solo.

·
Banned
697 Posts
I see that it is offered now. We just never got a product announcement from MBRP and it is not even on their site yet. I did talk to MBRP after the customer emailed us, and they said they have the system, but it is something they offer next to the old ones. The new part number did not replace the old one, and they will both be sold togethor.

I just want to be clear that we in no way led this customer to think he was getting the new drone free system. He ordered the older part number from the website, and that is what he got. Our website and sales make no mention of a drone free exhaust. If the exhaust was not installed, exchanging it would not be an issue..however once you run an exhaust, it's yours. This is not us being strict..every parts seller is like that.

Here a link you might want to look at - it includes the part number and has pics.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/2010-challenger-srt8-6sp-mbrp-drone-free-50152/index2.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd like to thank Marylandspeed for clearing this out for me. I agree It is confusing to tell which system is the drone free even on MBRP's website. I just assumed that since MBRP made the drone free system in july 2010, it replaced the standard one, obviously it was a wrong assumption. Also, I have emailed Marylandspeed a day before my purchase about this issue but I haven't gotten a response so I placed the order and took the risks. I am responsible for that.

The drone is not as bad as some people claimed. I am 26 and I usually crank up the volume to the max so I have no issues with loudness. I'm single and if there will ever be a wife she gotta marry the sound as well lol. As the title says I'm just writing my first impression since I see many people post questions about which exhaust system to buy. I hope that the standard will make up for the drone by adding more horses than the drone free!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I do not have a dog in this situation but I feel for the OP as a fellow Challenger owner who probably worked hard to get the $$$ to purchase this exhaust system….

MBRP has made no secret of their no drone system on this and other boards. Why they have not told all e-tailers and retailers who sell their products the part number is beyond me as is the fact that their website does not show the drone free system. It has been available and hyped for a while now.

E-tailers and retailers who sell MBRP read these boards and should been aware of the drone free system and question the person who places an order for a Challenger MBRP system whether they wanted the old or new system. The OP had no way of knowing if the system he ordered was old or new although if the OP had searched threads then the part number of the new system would have been found.

I think the honorable thing to do here is for MBRP to offer to sell the OP a drone free system at their true cost (OP would need to agree to a non-disclosure of that info) and the seller and MBRP work out paying for half the installation / de-installation charges.

The OP can then offer the system he purchased to a forum member who may want the louder more aggressive system at a discounted price.

Everyone looses a little but no one is left holding the bag.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can do a discount on the one he wants. I just can't take the used one back.
MBRP can provide a bigger discount. I mean I appreciate greatly what you are suggestion and for you discounting a system down to as low as your cost would be very good if the OP wants the drone free system but, MBRP is the one who has not told you about their updated product offerings and I suspect you have sold a few of their systems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Lonestar: Thanks a lot for supporting me on this, obviously your suggestions are very appealing for me and I'd really love to work something out to get a drone free system with minimal losses for everyone.

@Marylandspeed: Thank you for your offer to help. I'm not sure how much I'll be paying for a discounted system and how much I will be getting out of selling the current exhaust. Though I encourage you to put this peace of information on the product you are selling to help the buyer in making his decision since there are significant differences between the two systems.

·
Registered
437 Posts
ChallySRT8_Q8, sorry to read about your situation - the MBRP has proven itself to be a performance improver there's no doubt. However, if you don't like the drone take it off, sell it here and like Lonestar said go Solo! No drone, perfect fit, wicked sound, definite performance gain and alot cheaper than the MBRP.

My first impression reading this was that if MarylandSpeed has been anywhere around the performance threads or MBRP section they would have known about the J-Pipe system (drone free) - but after reading all posts it definitely does seem that the onus is on MBRP. Other than those threads here it looks like MBRP hasn't marketed the drone free system at all. All in all I think it's solid of MS to offer the discount on the drone free system.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Man, I dont get what people are really calling loud drone, I ran longtubes, o/r x, pipe, and a deltaflow 40s on my 04 mustang gt with far less body and interior insulation, I am running the old style mbrp and its pretty docile to me with the amount of insulation these cars have, I want to hear exhaust thats why I bought it. Ex stang guys or 4-gen gm guys chime in you guys know about drone lol. I am not trying to make mine a porche so I guess if I didnt want drone I would go with stock. Just live with it you will end up loving it. I do hate you didnt get the system you wanted tho, I would just try to get a partial refund or make a deal with them to hook you up. I bought mine for $850 new on ebay and the new system wasnt worth the money to me to try to improve the drone issue people have talked about (grandpas). Good Luck

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess I'll drive the car once again tomorrow and see how I feel about the drone. Its a lose situation for me anyway. as I said in the OP, removing and reinstalling a new system would cost me $300 alone! as far as other systems, I was interested in Corsa as a brand, but It was too quite for my taste. MBRP is high quality, great reputation for power increase, and the sound is exactly what the Challenger deserves. Once I read about the new drone free system I made the decision to go MBRP. If I'm taking it off I'm going back stock. I also need to know how much a 10 miles used MBRP worth before I consider any possible deal.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Believe it or not you might get used to the drone. If you have a 6 speed it's very easy to bypass this with throttle or just upshifting. You can do the same if you have an autostick.

My Mopar catback has tons of drone, but it doesn't bother me too much. Even my wife doesn't complain.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm starting to like it. I have driven the car for about 80 miles with the MBRPs on and its getting better the more I drive it. I'm really waiting to put my car on the dyne and see how much hp/tq it gained. The car definitely sounds meaner and feels faster than before. Though I got to say the quality of the product isn't that good specially for its $$$. It rattles and the mechanic had a hard time balancing the tips to make them fit in their designated place because the dimensions weren't 100% right on the car (both tips were touching the outer side of the exhaust holes on the rear bumper) I don't think I'll be spending more money on another exhaust. This was the first exhaust system I ever bought and I guess I've learned my lesson when it comes to buying parts online.

bottom line, I'm a big fan of the MBRP exhaust sound, Definitely not a fan of MBRP brand!

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
If it was installed correctly you should not have any rattles. I would take it back to the shop, sounds like they didn't get all the clamps tight

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
Sucks your having trouble with it. I bought my MBRP back in Dec of '08 from BMC(now speedlogix) and the fit&finish was great. Now I have over 45,000miles with them on and they are still holding up very well. We did the install ourselves and it only took about 1 hour to take off the stock exhaust and install the MBRP catback. Not hard at all, I'd suggest doing it yourself if you end up wanting to take it off.

Plus, go under the car yourself and you can easily adjust the MBRP so that its no longer touching the rear valence. I actually just had to do it to mine, got under the car because I heard a rattle(1st time ever) and noticed that one of the claps vibrated over to were it was touching the other pipe. Loosened the clamp and moved it to the oposite side, rattle stopped. But while moving it, I didnt notice that I had effected the rest of the catback doing so. So when I got out from under the car, the passenger side (side of the exhaust I was working on) tip was turned way out of wack. Got back under and adjusted the piping a bit more and voila! Back to being straight an centered.

Good luck, hope all your problems become a thing of the past. Let us know how it does on the dyno!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sucks your having trouble with it. I bought my MBRP back in Dec of '08 from BMC(now speedlogix) and the fit&finish was great. Now I have over 45,000miles with them on and they are still holding up very well. We did the install ourselves and it only took about 1 hour to take off the stock exhaust and install the MBRP catback. Not hard at all, I'd suggest doing it yourself if you end up wanting to take it off.

Plus, go under the car yourself and you can easily adjust the MBRP so that its no longer touching the rear valence. I actually just had to do it to mine, got under the car because I heard a rattle(1st time ever) and noticed that one of the claps vibrated over to were it was touching the other pipe. Loosened the clamp and moved it to the oposite side, rattle stopped. But while moving it, I didnt notice that I had effected the rest of the catback doing so. So when I got out from under the car, the passenger side (side of the exhaust I was working on) tip was turned way out of wack. Got back under and adjusted the piping a bit more and voila! Back to being straight an centered.

Good luck, hope all your problems become a thing of the past. Let us know how it does on the dyno!
Thanks Chris, I think the quality of the product is the responsibility of the manufacturer not the retailer. I've read about this issue with MBRP in other threads. I know its not a big problem and can be fixed easily. I'm going to the shop on saturday. hopefully they'll fix it with no more issues.

The dyne is coming mid april, want to put some miles on it with the new exhaust before I go

·
Banned
1,076 Posts
I have a old style MBRP, and I exclusively drive with auto-stick, no drone at all. The drone I notice is when the tranmission changes gears at the lower end of the rpm's. When the rpm's are below 2000, I hate the sound, above 2000 it sounds awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts