Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
You can't get a good impression of how a system actually sounds via sound clips. It just doesn't come across well and most are recorded right up against the tail pipe and no one we know gets down on their hands and knees to hear an exhaust. You really need to hear the systems in person to make an educated decision on which brand to choose.

Having said that, here would be my order of picks that you offered:

(1) Zoomers :thumbsup:
(2) MBRP
(3) Corsa

Ask around the forum and find someone near you who has one of each on a car exactly like yours (as there is a difference between systems on a 6-speed vs. systems on an automatic, or R/T vs. SRT).

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

·
Vendor
948 Posts
What kind of sound are you looking for? Smooth or lumpy? How loud? How much interior noise do you think you can tolerate? Every day driver or weekend fun toy? Do you do a lot of car shows or just drive? Do you race?

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
MBRP FTW!

1)MBRP
2)Corsa
3)Zoomers

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
CORSA Xtreme Video Sound Clip

CORSA Xtreme is a no drone system.At normal cruising speeds it is not over bearing,...but,definately louder than stock.When you mash the pedal is screams with an aggressive mid-range note.I also like the MBRP with it's more deep throaty note and now with their new drone free tuning tube systems it would be a cat-back I would seriously consider if currently deciding on what to install.

However,I am very satisfied with the CORSA Xtreme sound and fitment.

I have included a video of my 2009 R/T Automatic with the CORSA Xtreme.Use headphones for a more accurate listening experience.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
To me, it's basically:

1.MBRP
2.Flowmaster American Thunder
3 JBA.

I don't like the higher pitched ones at all. The Corsa and Borla I've heard in person, and am not impressed, especially for the cost involved.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of sound are you looking for? Smooth or lumpy? How loud? How much interior noise do you think you can tolerate? Every day driver or weekend fun toy? Do you do a lot of car shows or just drive? Do you race?

Joshua, HHP
looking for a low rumble, loud as hell on take off, but not that much interior noise while driving at a constant speed, daily driving with a side of eating rice burners every now and then

·
Registered
112 Posts
To me, it's basically:

1.MBRP
2.Flowmaster American Thunder
3 JBA.

I don't like the higher pitched ones at all. The Corsa and Borla I've heard in person, and am not impressed, especially for the cost involved.
What he said. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
mbrp
corsa

i gained 19 hp from the mbrp i thinks.. i will have to find the dyno

·
Vendor
948 Posts
It is just impossible to gain, say, more than 10hp from a cat-back all by itself... time for a lesson on falsified dyno sheets. Take a stock HEMI car for example. From the factory, at wide open throttle, they run rich with fuel in order to add in a certain level of safety, i.e. they leave horsepower on the table. If you dyno a car and shut it off, add a cat-back or cai to the car, either of which will make the engine more efficient, and then immediately redyno the car you will see some substantial gains because the initial result on the car is a leaning effect. You are seeing the majority of the gains from the leaning out of the motor, not from the increased efficiency. After you run the car for around maybe 100 miles and beat on it a little the adaptive computer system is going to move the a/f ratio back to a richened state, lessening dramatically that initial hp boost you saw. In the end a cat-back may net you around 8rwhp, possibly 10 best case scenario. But dyno graphs using this initial power boost are what is always presented to customers from manufacturers and even a lot of venders to give you false hope of what you should expect from a modification. When it comes to dyno tuning, we set the a/f tables to exactly where we want them to go before dialing in the volumetrics, i.e. we tell the cars to stop running rich and then dial in the fuel so that the end results don't enrichen over time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cat-backs are a great mod, more power across the board, a lot better sound, and better fuel mileage.

Back to the question on which system might be best for 08SrT-8, I think the Corsa Extreme is an awesome system with low interior noise and screams with higher throttle rates. SRT-8's are a much louder engine to begin with when compared to a 5.7L so you can't necessarily compare 5.7L's with 6.1L's as the 6.1L has a deeper sounding, higher rumble note to begin with. The MBRP's will have just a little higher interior noise level (not bad in my opinion) and a slightly raspier sound. Price-wise, the Corsa Extreme's go for around $1350 (the tips alone are $400 worth) where the MBRP's start at $789 so there is a considerable price difference to consider.

Both have a nice amount of rumble to them. If you want a lot of rumble you will need to go with a baffled or chambered design system like the JBA's. These type of mufflers will also project a lot more sound up and into the cabin of the car so interior noise and drone levels are much higher - too much for some but for those that like the old-school sound, they are really happy with them.

Joshua, HHP

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It is just impossible to gain, say, more than 10hp from a cat-back all by itself... time for a lesson on falsified dyno sheets. Take a stock HEMI car for example. From the factory, at wide open throttle, they run rich with fuel in order to add in a certain level of safety, i.e. they leave horsepower on the table. If you dyno a car and shut it off, add a cat-back or cai to the car, either of which will make the engine more efficient, and then immediately redyno the car you will see some substantial gains because the initial result on the car is a leaning effect. You are seeing the majority of the gains from the leaning out of the motor, not from the increased efficiency. After you run the car for around maybe 100 miles and beat on it a little the adaptive computer system is going to move the a/f ratio back to a richened state, lessening dramatically that initial hp boost you saw. In the end a cat-back may net you around 8rwhp, possibly 10 best case scenario. But dyno graphs using this initial power boost are what is always presented to customers from manufacturers and even a lot of venders to give you false hope of what you should expect from a modification. When it comes to dyno tuning, we set the a/f tables to exactly where we want them to go before dialing in the volumetrics, i.e. we tell the cars to stop running rich and then dial in the fuel so that the end results don't enrichen over time.

Don't get me wrong, I think the cat-backs are a great mod, more power across the board, a lot better sound, and better fuel mileage.

Back to the question on which system might be best for 08SrT-8, I think the Corsa Extreme is an awesome system with low interior noise and screams with higher throttle rates. SRT-8's are a much louder engine to begin with when compared to a 5.7L so you can't necessarily compare 5.7L's with 6.1L's as the 6.1L has a deeper sounding, higher rumble note to begin with. The MBRP's will have just a little higher interior noise level (not bad in my opinion) and a slightly raspier sound. Price-wise, the Corsa Extreme's go for around $1350 (the tips alone are $400 worth) where the MBRP's start at $789 so there is a considerable price difference to consider.

Both have a nice amount of rumble to them. If you want a lot of rumble you will need to go with a baffled or chambered design system like the JBA's. These type of mufflers will also project a lot more sound up and into the cabin of the car so interior noise and drone levels are much higher - too much for some but for those that like the old-school sound, they are really happy with them.

Joshua, HHP
Wont argue the point but I will say I dynoed the car on Monday, installed the exhaust on weds drove to the dyno (about 30 miles) ran 3 pulls and got the sheet.. Then installed the supercharger and at the end of the month ran those dynos... I love The soud and the build quality if quite good.. I wont claim perfect but good. You might get a better built exhaust im not sure if you will get a better sounding exhaust.
If I had known the 100 mile adaptive thing I would have ran more tests to insure accuracy.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

Joshua, HHP
This past summer five of us brought our Challengers to get dynoed at RSP Motorsports on their AWD Dyno with Wind Simulation.The pulls were done on the same day and within an hour of eachother.My 09 R/T Auto was 100% stock at the time.Another 09 R/T Auto with a Mopar CAI and MBRP Cat-back exhaust showed a 43RWHP gain over my 100% stock Challenger numbers.The mods on the other car were installed two weeks prior to the dyno pulls so the ECM would have already made the adjustments to A/F ratios and other adaptive adjustments.

I'm just say'n,...

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Nice write up Josh, it is a pretty well known fact that cat back systems only increase HP in the ranges you noted, the sound seems to be the best gain for all drivers.
Have you any data on torque because those numbers are important as well.
Tout

·
Registered
382 Posts
CORSA Xtreme is a no drone system.At normal cruising speeds it is not over bearing,...but,definately louder than stock.When you mash the pedal is screams with an aggressive mid-range note.I also like the MBRP with it's more deep throaty note and now with their new drone free tuning tube systems it would be a cat-back I would seriously consider if currently deciding on what to install.

However,I am very satisfied with the CORSA Xtreme sound and fitment.

I have included a video of my 2009 R/T Automatic with the CORSA Xtreme.Use headphones for a more accurate listening experience.

YouTube - 2009 Auto Challenger R/T,Corsa Xtreme Cat-back,JBA Shorty Headers,K&N CAI
Say being that you live in a very cold climate such as my self, what do you do as far as storage. That is if you don't drive it during the winter because I cant imagine you doing so in those weather conditions. I live in the Spokane area and it is pretty damn cold as well and I refuse to put my Challenger SRT8 outside of the garage let alone drive it. As far as exhaust the Corsa sounds great but I am also considering Zoomers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just ended up getting a custom mandrel bent system from a local exhaust shop. I went with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my RT & it sounds sick!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Say being that you live in a very cold climate such as my self, what do you do as far as storage. That is if you don't drive it during the winter because I cant imagine you doing so in those weather conditions. I live in the Spokane area and it is pretty damn cold as well and I refuse to put my Challenger SRT8 outside of the garage let alone drive it. As far as exhaust the Corsa sounds great but I am also considering Zoomers.
I park the Challenger in my un-heated garage and plug in the block heater during the night.I also start it every second day and let it run for about 15 minutes.On days when the roads are clear of snow,dry and it's not snowing I take the car for a spin around the sub-division road.No room for error as the only insurance coverage during the winter is fire and theft which only costs $26 per month.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just ended up getting a custom mandrel bent system from a local exhaust shop. I went with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers on my RT & it sounds sick!
With no resos? Doesn't it drone like a MFer?

·
Registered
113 Posts
With no resos? Doesn't it drone like a MFer?
I removed the rear resonators & replaced the "suitcase" mufflers with the flowmasters. It does drone quite a bit at about 2k RPM but I have gotten used to it over the last year. The drone will probably start to annoy me as I get older but the amazing sound of WOT offsets it for now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts