Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't believe I forgot to post my video here!!

Thanks to you guys for a GREAT product. The exhaust guys that did the install were VERY impressed with the quality.

This is a video of the install on My R/T 6 Speed. Keep in mind I needed to order the SRT exhaust to fit the Kooks cats. There were some minor fittment issues, simply because the MBRP was designed as a Cat-back system, not nessesarily to bolt up to headers. Some of the issues were fitment at the Cats, also the hangers had to be re-located (basicly taken off, and re-welded on).

I cant tell you how happy I am with your system, I did not have any flutter issue!!

YouTube - 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed Kooks headers and MBRP!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
isn't this a double post? Or did you change something? God I love that sound. Absolutly beatiful.
LOL more like a quad-post, but first one in this section, it is an MBRP exhaust lol

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
i cant see the video here at work, but what you have done is exactly what i would like to do. I talked to MBRP about maybe making me a custom setup so i dont have any fitment issues.

Who all makes headers for the 6 speeds? i had SLP longtubes before, but they dont mention the challenger (regarding headers) on their website yet.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
well if the 6.1 kooks fit on the r/t 6speed all the other ones should pretty much fit. the kooks and dyntechs that are known to fit are the same part numbers as the 05-08 cars. i'd go with american racing or kooks over the slps thought. just a thought but they are all pretty much the same price and the primaries on the slps are smaller.

i think i will go with the AR's with offroad mids once i get to that point. but mostly because of price i think they run like $1200 for the no cat set up. then you srt guys can sell you stock stuff for about $300 when us r/t guys can get like $50 from a scrap yard lol

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
i wasnt sure if kooks had to redesign the headers to work with the 6 speeds. Prior to any 6 speeds being released, all the companies said that the headers designed for the autos would not fit. Is this still the case? If not, i know where i can find headers. I loved my SLP headers, they gave me great gains. HOw much bigger are the other primaries? I thought the SLP setup had the same size. I plan on going with the cat delete as well, as this is what i had on my charger SRT :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
the slp's are 1 3/4" primaries. pretty much all the other major brands, kooks, american racing, dynatech are all 1 7/8". as a reference the stockers you have now are 1 3/4".

kooks also makes a steped header that goes from 1 7/8 to 2". but they are quite expensive.

if you have a good exhaust shop it may be cheaper to get a header only set up and get the mid pipes made without cats. shouldnt cost moe than 150 for the work when most of them charge around 400-500 for even the offroad pipes. most vendors dont list the header only option but all of them offer it to the dealers. i got quoted for some dynatechs at 750. i think the kooks run around 1k and not really sure about the AR's they will probably be around 8-900 i presume. hopefully im wrong on the high side. i really like them things.

im gonna try some srt take offs with srt catless mids in a few weeks if it ever get warm enough for me to get off my butt and install them :rofl:

probably gonna end up going with the srt mbrp system sooner or later. kinda waiting on the predator so i can get some datalogs in and see where by problem is. but im pretty positive its my headers at this point :icon_confused:

imo lt's on the srt's arent really that great of a gain on a stock motor. i'd just take the cats out and wait till the motor mods to do the lt's save you a ton of arm cramps or money on the install also lol

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
the slp's are 1 3/4" primaries. pretty much all the other major brands, kooks, american racing, dynatech are all 1 7/8". as a reference the stockers you have now are 1 3/4".

kooks also makes a steped header that goes from 1 7/8 to 2". but they are quite expensive.

if you have a good exhaust shop it may be cheaper to get a header only set up and get the mid pipes made without cats. shouldnt cost moe than 150 for the work when most of them charge around 400-500 for even the offroad pipes. most vendors dont list the header only option but all of them offer it to the dealers. i got quoted for some dynatechs at 750. i think the kooks run around 1k and not really sure about the AR's they will probably be around 8-900 i presume. hopefully im wrong on the high side. i really like them things.

im gonna try some srt take offs with srt catless mids in a few weeks if it ever get warm enough for me to get off my butt and install them :rofl:

probably gonna end up going with the srt mbrp system sooner or later. kinda waiting on the predator so i can get some datalogs in and see where by problem is. but im pretty positive its my headers at this point :icon_confused:

imo lt's on the srt's arent really that great of a gain on a stock motor. i'd just take the cats out and wait till the motor mods to do the lt's save you a ton of arm cramps or money on the install also lol
the reason i went with the SLP before was because the primaries were only 1.75". Without alot more airflow, the 1 7/8" dont make any more power, and possibly lose power in the curve over the 1 3/4"s. i know exactly what you mean about the mid pipes, however a local shop can do a nice mandrel bend to keep flow up. I had cat deletes on my charger SRT, and that was a hellacious gain alone. atleast in the a$$ dyno lol.

i havent got a quote on the AR headers yet, but i plan on going that route, as they have an option for getting the midpipes without cats. So thats more than likely my route. I plan on keeping this car for a long time, and a blower will happen at some point. So the 1 7/8" primaries will definitely be needed :)

it cant be that cold up there lol. we have been in the 70's for almost two weeks now. well last night it dropped down to 34 but other than that its been warm lol

oh, while im at it, do you have any sound clips of the slp exhaust. i loved it on my charger, but it became annoying over time as my car is a daily driver for me

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did have to order the MBRP exhaust for the 6.1 to fit the Kooks headers. There were some VERY minor fitment issues but nothing a decent shop cant take care of. (heating the pipes etc)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there still minor fitament issues? Have these been addressed now? I've noticed its been a while since the last post here. I'm considering buying kooks headers, high flow cats, and MBRP exhaust but want to do the install myself and know what I could be up against.

Are headers and high flow cats worth the extra $$$? I've had people say its not worth it on the R/T... I want reasonable power gains if I buy them.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Are there still minor fitament issues? Have these been addressed now? I've noticed its been a while since the last post here. I'm considering buying kooks headers, high flow cats, and MBRP exhaust but want to do the install myself and know what I could be up against.

Are headers and high flow cats worth the extra $$$? I've had people say its not worth it on the R/T... I want reasonable power gains if I buy them.
I think someone gained 28 rwhp on an RT with headers, hi flows, cat back, an intake, throttle body AND a custom email tune....lot of money for around 30hp

·
Registered
13 Posts
If thats true I should have bought the SRT. I knew it but couldn't find one (Tor Red w/ manual 6 spd) and figured I could get the extra 50 hp for less than the extra 8k.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
look at my signature, i had Dyno results, I gained nearly 50 HP! Stock has been consistently dyno'ed at 336RWHP, I Hit 373RWHP, WITHOUT a tune, now that i have the tune i am guessing 388RWHP (figuring 15 HP for the tune, and thats conservative)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts