Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for folks that have have the McLeod twin disk clutch installed (or installed), if it matters I refer to the RXT 6975-07M 1000hp. Anyway, besides the self bleeding of the new slave cylinder McLeod says you MUST put 500 miles of easy normal driving. Traction control off, no hard shifts, etc., has anyone just gave it some break in and then just drove like they normally drive their car? If so, any ill effects? My question arises from this, I poured a bunch of work into the car back in 2011 and thing was high on the list was a performance trans and clutch. I didn't know at the time, or it wasn't the same requirement from McLeod but the builder had put the RXT 6925-07 1000hp in the car and after a short while of break in on the drive train and such it was full on and I have pounded it for 7 years with nary a clutch issue at all. I know warnings should be heeded and I really have no plans of beating the snot out of it fresh out of the gate but thought I would ask others their experiences.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update. Got the car back today and I have to say how sweet it is to have a new clutch again. I didn't realize how bad the old one was! Odd the way it wore though, the disk closest to the trans is flat wore out. Both sides are complete and utterly toast. I knew it was done so no big surprise. But, the 2nd disk the one closest to the engine told a different story. the rearward side is worn about maybe a 1/3rd but the forward side is almost like new. I would tend to think that all 4 sides of the 2 discs would wear similarly due to the action of the pressure etc. A bit confusing there. Anyway, new one is on, and doing the CDV mod most definitely changed the charector of the shifting of the car. I have driven this car since new and rebuild and know every single little squeak, edge, nuance and such and in driving this car today I was blown away by the absolute difference in the shifting and clutch. Now it certainty feels old school!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
To answer your question about the RXT break in, I had an RXT put in my car with a new transmission back in January.... I put maybe 300 easy miles on the car, after I got it back from the dealership. I didn't want to mess up another trans..... But after that 300, it was back to clutch dumping, and WOT shifting (old habits are hard to break). If I can get my DSS driveshaft issue worked out, I'll be going to the track this weekend for the first time, and hope to see some better times than last year. Like you I have a completely different car with a good clutch and new trans.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer your question about the RXT break in, I had an RXT put in my car with a new transmission back in January.... I put maybe 300 easy miles on the car, after I got it back from the dealership. I didn't want to mess up another trans..... But after that 300, it was back to clutch dumping, and WOT shifting (old habits are hard to break). If I can get my DSS driveshaft issue worked out, I'll be going to the track this weekend for the first time, and hope to see some better times than last year. Like you I have a completely different car with a good clutch and new trans.
Dak, thanks for the info. I have been following your 4.30 and 4.20 builds and I am very interested to see how that comes out. I have been holding off trying to decide how I want to do my rear as I put my car through hard stuff a whole bunch.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dak, thanks for the info. I have been following your 4.30 and 4.20 builds and I am very interested to see how that comes out. I have been holding off trying to decide how I want to do my rear as I put my car through hard stuff a whole bunch.

Check out the update on the 4.29 Swap. I recently added proof that the gears work well in a drag racing application. I can’t guaranty how long they are going to last but I’m having a blast with them so far. My car is completely different now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on this thread. Finally past the "break-in" mileage to satisfy the shop, company warranty etc. I rolled my lady out and proceeded to drive her like she so badly needed. Love the new clutch (who wouldn't) and once I got to an area free of those pesky PoPo folks, I went straight balls deep. Put her through her paces and was rewarded by crisp reliable shifts both up and down, and great grab on high RPM clutch dumps. I so happy, so happy!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Let me say this be careful. I toasted my MCLeod RXT this past June. Only had it in for 6 months. I will admit I’ve gotten at least 20 1/4 mike passes on it with N2O use and several test hits on the street. I’m in the process of pulling it out and sending to MCLeod to have it rebuilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts