Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get an exhaust,maybe the magnaflow 16514.my main concern is when the mds is on what does it sound like?i have read that some dodge rams with the 5.7 sound like a tractor?what do the challengers sound like?

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
well nobody else butting in so i will.
09 rt auto when stock could not hear any difference from mds, added magna flow mufflers and deleated resonators and couldn't stand the drone. added glasspacks where the resonators were . now sounds better, not loud but sweet no drone but still can't hear mds. i can feel it changing though on the highway.
good luck.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The best way i could describe it is it sounds (and feels) like a very low bass frequency that never stops....

I removed my mufflers and resonators and replaced with nothing but a set of glass packs. It sounds awesome but if I didn't have a programmer and wasn't able to disable the mds it would be unbearable.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I had the magnaflow 16513 (on my 09 RT auto) which is the same system only with dual round tips. I found the drone to be very mild with this system, probably because it had resonators. As for the MDS, I don't classify that sound as "drone" so to speak, its more of a change in exhaust tone because the engine is running on 4 cylinders instead of 8. I can only describe that tone as a buzzing sound, similar to a "fart can" on a 4 cylinder import......not the same as the bassy interior resonance you get when the auto tranny short shifts into a taller gear at the 1800 rpm range. Yes the stock system does extremely well at covering that sound, but it also covers the V8 sound as well. Personally, I was very satisfied with that particular Magnaflow system. I found it to be a good balance between a better exhaust note with a tiny bit of drone and not overly loud, but healthy. The MDS is gonna be heard with just about every aftermarket exhaust system, but I had found myself using the transmission in auto stick mode most of the time in order to circumvent MDS altogether.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I can tell you what a stock exhaust with the resonators removed with MDs sounds like ,well remember the movie perfect storm and the fishing boat was in full throttle trying to climb that wave...Thats it.

Yes i need a real exhaust one day and that day is in the spring

1 - 6 of 6 Posts