Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could
Someone Please tell me how to disengage the MDS on a 5.7 hemi automatic. I can get it to disengage with my Diablo but after a short period of timeit defaults back to stock.
Also, how do you completely disengage the ESP?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd like to know how to shut it off as well. Driving around town with it "on" sucks and takes all the fun out of driving it. I think it should only come on when you want it to like when you are on the highway. Not in and out of 45 - 50 mph traffic. I feel bad for the new 2011 SRT8 Automatic owners that will have to suffer with it on their 470hp monsters. If I had real seat time before I ordered mine, I would have got the 6 speed so I wouldn't have to deal with it.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
If you drive in autostick your MDS is off. The key trick will turn it off temp. but will reset on restart.
To turn the ESP full off on the R/T: Get the speed above 10 mph,then turn the key into start position and hold for a few seconds until you hear a chime.At this time ESP will be full off ,the BAS light should also stay lit in your instrument panel. Now the only way to reset this in case you want your ESP back on is to turn off the ignition and it will reset upon startup.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Could
Someone Please tell me how to disengage the MDS on a 5.7 hemi automatic. I can get it to disengage with my Diablo but after a short period of timeit defaults back to stock.
Also, how do you completely disengage the ESP?
I thought with the Predator, you can disable it permanately. Why would it revert back to enabled over time? Something doesn't sound right.

As for ESP, you cannot disable it completely. It will alwys revent back to "on status" upon enigne restart. You can disable it with serveral differnt mods out there, or if you have the STP option, however, you will not be able to disable it indifinately. It's a safety thing.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Get on the pred. go to diablo tunes, load one, go to modif tune. modify parameters. there you can shut off mds, esp, reset tcm adptation, and shift firmness. you can't adjust shift points as diablo couldn't figure that one out. i did those w/91cai tune. runs much better now.

edit: go to the diablo sport forum section and ask your questions there, they will answer them correctly. you may not get correct answers here.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Get on the pred. go to diablo tunes, load one, go to modif tune. modify parameters. there you can shut off mds, esp, reset tcm adptation, and shift firmness. you can't adjust shift points as diablo couldn't figure that one out. i did those w/91cai tune. runs much better now.

edit: go to the diablo sport forum section and ask your questions there, they will answer them correctly. you may not get correct answers here.
Do you know if when you turn ESP off useing the preditor if it leaves the ABS on. I know useing the key trick it turns the ABS off as well as the ESP

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
good question, i think it does as my car doesn't have the abs on the dash, but it doesn't have the esp indicator either. as i said go to diablo sport to get the correct answers. mike over there says there is a lot of mis-information over here.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Thanks, I don't have a preditor yet so I don't feel right taking up their time. I just know it gives you a warning about useing the key trick that it disables ABS and something else when doing it. That's why I was just wondering

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
The key trick does not disable ABS.
It says the light comes on and braking is affected and I thought that ment it was off.
R/T FULL ESP OFF

Also for anyone wondering what the key trick is, simply hit the ESP button once... you don't need to hold for 10 sec's or
whatever, that doesn't work. Just hit it once like you normally will, the squiggly lines will pop up.

Now start driving and once you get above 15 mph simply turn and hold the key as if your trying to start up the car. Hold
the key in that position for about 5 sec's.

Don't worry your starter won't try to crank over because it already knows the car is running. Now the first thing you'll
notice is that your radio will turn off and back on along with anything plugged into your cigarette lighter like a radar
detector or whatever.

IF you look at your dash you will have Mr. Squiggly. (ESP 1/2 off) and your ABS light (Brake) will be ON. You are now in
total OFF mode. Have fun and be careful as you have no brake assist.

Braking will not be as good as you may have become accustomed to.

So now all your traction control and ESP are fully OFF and you can smoke tires till they turn into drag radials! This is
continued until the vehicle is stopped and IGN OFF/ON and Engine Start cycle is re-initiated

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
It says the light comes on and braking is affected and I thought that ment it was off.
R/T FULL ESP OFF

Also for anyone wondering what the key trick is, simply hit the ESP button once... you don't need to hold for 10 sec's or
whatever, that doesn't work. Just hit it once like you normally will, the squiggly lines will pop up.

Now start driving and once you get above 15 mph simply turn and hold the key as if your trying to start up the car. Hold
the key in that position for about 5 sec's.

Don't worry your starter won't try to crank over because it already knows the car is running. Now the first thing you'll
notice is that your radio will turn off and back on along with anything plugged into your cigarette lighter like a radar
detector or whatever.

IF you look at your dash you will have Mr. Squiggly. (ESP 1/2 off) and your ABS light (Brake) will be ON. You are now in
total OFF mode. Have fun and be careful as you have no brake assist.

Braking will not be as good as you may have become accustomed to.

So now all your traction control and ESP are fully OFF and you can smoke tires till they turn into drag radials! This is
continued until the vehicle is stopped and IGN OFF/ON and Engine Start cycle is re-initiated
This is an excellent description of the 'Key Trick' to fully disable 'ESP'.
I would just like to add that if you want the 'ESP' fully disabled so that it will not reset back to enabled after shuting the car off use the Predator.Go to the 'Quick Adjust' or 'Modify Tune' menu,access the 'Dyno Mode' parameter and enter 'ON'.The MR.Squiggly,ESP and BAS lights will appear in the instrument cluster at each start up indicating that 'ESP' is fully off.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Is there a way without turning off ABS. I can see turning it off to play but leaving ABS off for good seems kinda dangerous. By the way I wish I could take credit for that explaination but it's copied and pasted from the 100 tips site.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
RT pony, esp off is no longer available on the guick adjust menu. Using modify tune there will be no indicaters on the dash lights sqiigly and ABS light. using modify tune ABS is functional, dyno mode DOES disable ABS. (Corrected in the post below, yes i think its bas not abs)

edit: MDS can be shut off at "modify tune" but i went from 23/25 mpg to 17.5 on highway. and from 19.5 to 16 on mixed highway / town.

you should go to diablo sport with your questions, they are the ones who programed the pred.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
The key trick does not disable ABS.
^^^^^^
This is absolutely true on my 2009, six speed car. You lose BAS (Brake Assist System), but you do NOT lose ABS (Anti-Lock Brake System). I easily proved this in the snow after the key trick.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Maybe that's were the misunderstanding is. I'm getting confussed on who is talking key trick and who's talking preditor disabled. I'm just going to do the key thing and have it go back to normal the next time it get's started. Hopefully the guy that started this can decide what he wants to do.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you drive in autostick your MDS is off. The key trick will turn it off temp. but will reset on restart.
To turn the ESP full off on the R/T: Get the speed above 10 mph,then turn the key into start position and hold for a few seconds until you hear a chime.At this time ESP will be full off ,the BAS light should also stay lit in your instrument panel. Now the only way to reset this in case you want your ESP back on is to turn off the ignition and it will reset upon startup.
The key trick does not turn off MDS. Only autostick or a programmer does.
The key trick shuts off ESP.
The key trick will light up the squigglys for ABS and BAS but the BAS will not work and the ABS still works.

Maybe the tuner doesn't support MDS disable on the newer vehicles just like it doesn't disable some things on the 08 and 09 models. Or maybe your just not loading it properly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you drive in autostick your MDS is off.
Driving in Autostick doesn't turn the MDS off. It still kicks in but not as quickly plus it also kicks out a lot easier. Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts