Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at a used MY' 17 392 T/A. After agreeing to purchase the car I found it has MDS; being a manual car I wasn't expecting this. Dealer put Cylinder Deactivation on quote and I'm wondering if that was a typo as I believe MDS is NOT available on a manual car correct? I'll never take the car to the track, its a weekend toy, so the question is does MDS affect performance at all? What about exhaust tone? I'm also going to put a Comp Cam 274 in it and didn't know IF MDS will affect that either. What are your thoughts on MDS in this situation?

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
10,074 Posts
If you have a manual transmission I don't think you have MDS, as far as I've ever seen only the automatics come with MDS. What makes you think your six speed car has MDS?

Reactions: Oderus

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dealer included MDS on the invoice, must have been a typo. I should have done a little more research before posting

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Yes, all year Hemi's with MDS are automatic cars. Only the 6.1 had no MDS with the automatic.

Manuals, any year, never had the MDS.

Reactions: Oderus

·
Registered
580 Posts
looking at a used MY' 17 392 T/A. After agreeing to purchase the car I found it has MDS; being a manual car I wasn't expecting this. Dealer put Cylinder Deactivation on quote and I'm wondering if that was a typo as I believe MDS is NOT available on a manual car correct? I'll never take the car to the track, its a weekend toy, so the question is does MDS affect performance at all? What about exhaust tone? I'm also going to put a Comp Cam 274 in it and didn't know IF MDS will affect that either. What are your thoughts on MDS in this situation?
Tell the dealer you found out the car doesn't have that feature and you want money off of the deal. Make him give you at least $1000 off the price. Ask him what kind of bait and switch he's trying to pull on you. This could be his mistake that works in your favor.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes, all year Hemi's with MDS are automatic cars. Only the 6.1 had no MDS with the automatic.

Manuals, any year, never had the MDS.
6.2L hellcat also doesn't have MDS with automatic.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
I though manuals get the gas guzzler tax because of no MDS...could it be the dealer is stating MDS to circumvent this?

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
6.2L hellcat also doesn't have MDS with automatic.

Correct. I wasn't even thinking about the SC engines. Blowers and MDS can have some special issues when combined. FCA did it right :)

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I though manuals get the gas guzzler tax because of no MDS...could it be the dealer is stating MDS to circumvent this?
The main reason a vehicle has GGT or what amount is the composite of city & hwy with 55% city / 45% hwy as the weighting.

GGT is only assessed on the new vehicles. It is collected by the manufacturer and paid into gov't fund.

Not collected on used / resale vehicles, as it was paid on the original sale

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,865 Posts
The main reason a vehicle has GGT or what amount is the composite of city & hwy with 55% city / 45% hwy as the weighting.

GGT is only assessed on the new vehicles. It is collected by the manufacturer and paid into gov't fund.

Not collected on used / resale vehicles, as it was paid on the original sale
How do they handle leased vehicles where the lease ended early?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,770 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts