Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2016 r/t and i am wanting to put a borla exhaust system on it. They want to know with or without msd valves?? How do i find this out? I am new to the challenger world but i am loving my car. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,540 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) It's a mistake on Borla's part

Your car does not have Active Exhaust Valves (MDS valves, lol). You'd want the non MDS valve version

Atak

S Type

Touring

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
2,117 Posts
I think they’re wanting to know if it has Active Exhaust....and I think your 2016 R/T doesn’t have it.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus (SP1)
10 Posts
MDS = Multiple Displacement System. The act of dropping 2 cylinders from each bank when power is not required. Your V8 turns into a V4. With the wrong exhaust, an MDS engine will drone. This is why they want to know if you have it or not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,540 Posts
Nope, sorry, that is wrong. Look at the exhausts themselves. Without MDS have no AEV, they mean AEV or else what is the correlation? If it will drone, you get no AEV? There is no way they mean the MDS, which BTW does not use valves, it uses solenoids

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus (SP1)
10 Posts
Correct, active exhaust is unrelated to MDS. MDS in 4 cylinder mode without resonators you get drone and it sounds like crap. They want to know whether he needs a resonator on his tail pipe or not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,540 Posts
Again, wrong, look at the description of the system that includes working AEV

"This system includes functioning MDS (multi-displacement system) valves. "

They are clearly referring to the AEV as MDS valves

A Guy

·
Registered
683 Posts
MDS = Multiple Displacement System. The act of dropping 2 cylinders from each bank when power is not required. Your V8 turns into a V4. With the wrong exhaust, an MDS engine will drone. This is why they want to know if you have it or not.
Wrong
Correct, active exhaust is unrelated to MDS. MDS in 4 cylinder mode without resonators you get drone and it sounds like crap. They want to know whether he needs a resonator on his tail pipe or not.
Wrong again

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Plus
379 Posts
I have the same car as the OP, I have MDS, but not exhaust valves. I just bought the S Type, model 140627. I believe the exhaust valves weren’t standard until 2017 or 2018.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,540 Posts
Indeed, if it was due to the engine having MDS then it would only be an automatic/manual choice. So if you have a 2015 automatic and buy with MDS valves, you get an exhaust with full functioning AEV that have no use. Or if you have a 2018 manual that has AEV and buy Without MDS valves, because your car doesn't have MDS, you'd get a car with no AEV which are present on the car originally

A Guy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts