Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MDS long block and a TR6060 I am sticking in a c10. It’s my understanding that the manual challengers do not come with MDS, so I’m wondering what type of mechanical issue could arise from an MDS engine being behind a manual? I will be running the engine with a Holley Terminator X setup, so worst case scenario I guess I could just tune out the MDS altogether? I would prefer to keep all MDS, VVT, SRV function if possible, though.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
I have an MDS long block and a TR6060 I am sticking in a c10. It’s my understanding that the manual challengers do not come with MDS, so I’m wondering what type of mechanical issue could arise from an MDS engine being behind a manual? I will be running the engine with a Holley Terminator X setup, so worst case scenario I guess I could just tune out the MDS altogether? I would prefer to keep all MDS, VVT, SRV function if possible, though.
well since in an Auto, the car knows when it is going to shift but really has no clue with the driver demand on a manual, that could be one of the reasons no MDS on a Stick shift. When manually shifting the auto, if you are on the free way and slide it over to "slap stick" mode or use the paddle shifters, even cruising along in 8th gear MDS will NOT enable.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well since in an Auto, the car knows when it is going to shift but really has no clue with the driver demand on a manual, that could be one of the reasons no MDS on a Stick shift. When manually shifting the auto, if you are on the free way and slide it over to "slap stick" mode or use the paddle shifters, even cruising along in 8th gear MDS will NOT enable.
That’s what I was thinking for the rationale behind it, makes perfect sense to me. I wonder if an unpredicted shift would try to activate the MDS between each shift, causing excessive wear of the lifters or solenoids.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,707 Posts
That’s what I was thinking for the rationale behind it, makes perfect sense to me. I wonder if an unpredicted shift would try to activate the MDS between each shift, causing excessive wear of the lifters or solenoids.
I had MDS removed, mechanically and in the tune when I had a cam put in my car. (Had to Comp Cams 274 Cam). VVT was altered or deleted, I really do not know which.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
774 Posts
The MDS solenoids don't have to be activated. Just leave them disconnected, since you are planning to use an aftermarket PCM (Terminator). The MDS lifters will function as normal lifters without the solenoids operating.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,118 Posts
The lack of a torque converter makes MDS operation a “no-go” with the manual trans. It absorbs the shock of the engine switching the MDS on/off from what I have read.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Correct, no MDS with a manual transmission. Just leave MDS solenoids disconnected, with the aftermarket PCM it will be fine. If you really want to get rid of the MDS lifters, you will have to pull the heads. In that case, it might be worthwhile to upgrade the camshaft while changing lifters. If you do eliminate the MDS, there are plugs available that the factory used in place of the solenoids.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The MDS solenoids don't have to be activated. Just leave them disconnected, since you are planning to use an aftermarket PCM (Terminator). The MDS lifters will function as normal lifters without the solenoids operating.
So that brings up another question... there are currently no solenoids installed in the engine. And I remember reading elsewhere that MDS lifters default to 4 cyl mode if I just put plugs where the solenoids go. Can anyone confirm? That makes it sound like I need to install solenoids (not plugs) and leave them disconnected.

Simply put, what’s the best way for me to remove MDS function from MDS lifters?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
774 Posts
Solenoids (4) are found under the intake manifold. If the solenoids are disconnected, the engine will run on all cylinders. The plugs are used on non MDS engines from the factory, it saves using solenoids as plugs. If MDS is not going to be used, you can leave the solenoids in place, that will work ok.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Solenoids (4) are found under the intake manifold. If the solenoids are disconnected, the engine will run on all cylinders. The plugs are used on non MDS engines from the factory, it saves using solenoids as plugs. If MDS is not going to be used, you can leave the solenoids in place, that will work ok.
Awesome, thanks Charles. I don’t have anything in those holes at the moment, so I will track down some solenoids from the junkyard and stick those in. Thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I would get a set of plugs, they aren't that expensive. Speaking from experience, the solenoids are not easy to get out without damaging them, and the used ones might leak.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get a set of plugs, they aren't that expensive. Speaking from experience, the solenoids are not easy to get out without damaging them, and the used ones might leak.
Alright now I’m confused. I have MDS lifters in the engine. If I were to put plugs in, I thought that would cause the lifters to collapse (only 4 cylinders firing), but installing solenoids (even when disconnected) would keep the lifters up, allowing all cylinders to fire. What is the functional difference between installing plugs and installing disconnected solenoids on an engine with MDS lifters?

·
Registered
774 Posts
No difference between plugs and solenoids that are disconnected. I am sorry for the confusion, I thought from reading post number 14 above that there was nothing in the holes where the solenoids or plugs go. If it came with solenoids, just leave them in it, disconnected, and the engine will run on all eight cylinders.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I realized I was making an incorrect assumption, thinking MDS lifters would default to 4 cyl mode if there was no outside input. The solenoids actually divert oil pressure into the orifice in the lifter, collapsing the lifter, putting it in “MDS” mode. So, by default, the lifters function normally (all cylinders firing). Incoming order for the plugs!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,172 Posts

A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts