Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this after doing a quick search for anything new on the Dodge 'Challenger'. ;)

Dodge Challenger concept set for Detroit Auto Show

Posted Jul 20th 2005 3:00PM by John Neff

The August issue of Road & Track has a tiny blurb about the possibility of Chrysler resurrecting the Challenger using the LX platform currently dedicated to the 300/Magnum/Charger trio. A concept is reportedly currently in the works for a debut at the 2006 Detroit Auto Show. The coupe would theoretically be easy to design and build and could be, if priced correctly, the first real competition for Ford's new Mustang. R&T does point out, however, that the plant building the current crop of LX cars is at full production, so adding another model to the assembly line might be difficult.

I wasn't too sure about the copyright laws concerning the artist's rendering of the Challenger in R&T, so rather than reproduce it here and get sued I pulled a photoshop job by Doug Schramm off of Autospies instead. I actually like this rendering better than R&T's, even though it's oozing retro from every orifice.

Some Reader Comments

1. I severely dislike Dodge and Mopar, but at least this design looks cool.
Posted at 3:06PM on Jul 20th 2005 by 7of7 0 stars

2. Damn that's nice looking. All it needs is an 8 ball shifter and a foot print gas pedal. ;)
Posted at 3:12PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Russ 0 stars

3. WOW, finally a domestic that I would like to own. Mind you a German domestic. Hopefully it will have the MB E series chasis.
Posted at 3:26PM on Jul 20th 2005 by rc51 0 stars

4. It's slated for Q4 2009 as a 2010MY with a possible ragtop in 2011. It's based on the next generation Charger/300/Magnum but should have a shorter wheelbase.
Posted at 3:37PM on Jul 20th 2005 by KT 0 stars

5. Very nice! It would be great to have some head-to-head competition for the Mustang again. If Chevy manages to come up with a new Camaro, it'll be the late-60's musclecar wars all over again! One thing though... why call it a Challenger when it is so obviously styled after the 'Cuda???
Posted at 3:40PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Poe 0 stars

7. Nice.... although it would more likely have the Dodge nose on it, like this: http://my.execpc.com/~zalen/challengermod1.jpg
Posted at 3:57PM on Jul 20th 2005 by CJ 0 stars

8. Good one CJ!
Posted at 4:38PM on Jul 20th 2005 by someone 0 stars

9. Oh thexy!!!!!! so nice... Granted it will most likly be on the LX platform like the article says, but the E/CLS class platform would make a better pony type car. With all the production on the LX platform, another line wouldn't be a problem, esp if they kill off the crossfire on the older SLK platform. Ok one other thing, this might make some product confusion with Mopar models and the HEMI engine. They are thinking about the Hemi powered viper platform which I would guess would be in the Vette class with the 6.1 Hemi and priced at 50-60k then you can get the same engine in a challenger for @<30k for the 5.7 and @35k for the 6.1, and a v6 model around 20k to compete with the Mustang. So you have this engine in cars running 30k-60k range. Granted Dodge pulled this off with the Prowler which most people never realised had the engine and transmission from the Intrepid RT/300m So comming soon from Dodge hopefully The Challenger.(strong maybe) The Hemi powered car on the Viper platform.(strong maybe) A good looking dakota/durango??? (I can only hope)
Posted at 4:53PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Fooman 0 stars

11. I like both - CJ's version and the version lifted by J Neff. Now how about a rendering of the rear end and some direct emails of these designs to the right people at Dodge??
Posted at 5:01PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Finished.Law.School 0 stars

12. Very good idea but the name should be Dodge Charger. forget others names
Posted at 5:10PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Víctor Rubiera 0 stars

14. Even though this is just an artist's rendering, it's nice to see a muscle car today with a little more of the scooped and squatted arrogance of its predecessors. This Challenger-cum-Cuda at least looks like the son of one of the most powerful muscle cars ever. Now, don't make it too heavy, give it a pistol-grip shifter and a Hemi, and see if that doesn't sell. Heck, while I'm at it, wouldn't it be hot if they renamed the police-spec Charger the Polara? For history's sake?
Posted at 5:11PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Marcus 0 stars

15. Even though this is just an artist's rendering, it's nice to see a muscle car today with a little more of the scooped and squatted arrogance of its predecessors. This Challenger-cum-Cuda at least looks like the son of one of the most powerful muscle cars ever. Now, don't make it too heavy, give it a pistol-grip shifter and a Hemi, and see if that doesn't sell. Heck, while I'm at it, wouldn't it be hot if they renamed the police-spec Charger the Polara? For history's sake?
Posted at 5:11PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Marcus 0 stars

16. Retro Mustang? Dodge says "Hey we are cool too, see we made one just like it!"
Posted at 5:22PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Frank Rizzo 0 stars

17. 2010 is going to be too late. As I've said before, I'm not a big fan of the copied retro look and I think (hope) in 5 years the fad will be over.
Posted at 5:38PM on Jul 20th 2005 by Toneroo 0 stars

18. If approved, which does appears likely, it will almost definitely be built on a shortened next gen LX (300/Magnum/Charger). From what I can gather from various sources, one of the reasons for the 2009 timeframe is that they are waiting for the next gen LX platform to be ready, WHY? Rumors point to the next gen LX platform having a manual tranny (or possibly a DSG style) option designed in (something the current LX doesn't - and wont - have). This would obviously be a requirement for any Mustang GT fighter. The reason it will not likely be built off of the next Midsize or SLK/Crossfire platform is they want to put in the HEMI obviously. Right now the LX is the only car platform the Chrysler group has/will have with enough room to easily manage that. And yes, it will almost certainly get the trademark Dodge crosshair grill. No model seems to escape that these days - not even one with heritage names/cues. As for the 6.1 HEMI powered Chrysler that will be built off of the Viper platform (codename Firepower!). It will be a Vette fighter, but I don't think it will compete much with the Challenger (or other pony cars) because it will be aimed at a higher end more luxury oriented customer. It will likely be more Grand Sports Tourer and not a Pony car by any stretch (think civilized Viper with luxury interior, maybe Cadillac XLR like but instead with a hardtop, a 6.1 Hemi, and a much better price).
Posted at 5:41PM on Jul 20th 2005 by JWhite 0 stars

19. I miss cars like this. That slightly chopped look is cool. I doubt rubber that wide would make it to production, but it sure would make a great option! If all of the scoops and outlets are functional then I want one. This has date bait written all over it.
Posted at 12:20AM on Jul 21st 2005 by Tom W 0 stars

·
Registered
97 Posts
Re: More Kudos for Doug Schramm

If the Challenger becomes a hog because of luxery I might just put it on a diet a few weeks after I get it, lol!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts