Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used this as a polish? It says it is non abrasive so I figured it would be about the same thing as a polish.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Has anybody used this as a polish? It says it is non abrasive so I figured it would be about the same thing as a polish.
....I use it, along with their M105 and M205 from their Professional line. I'm not sure what you read or heard, but UC is abrasive. It is more abrasive than its Scratch-X and Swirl-X cousins.

UC is part of their consumer line of SMAT (super micro abrasive technology) products. Simply put, they use non-diminishing abrasives. Polishes typically have abrasives that break down as you work the product becoming less and less abrasive as you go. The idea behind the SMAT technology is that it gives you a longer work time with consistently progressive results. ....Meguiars is not alone these days in this idea. There are a lot of good products from various brands to choose from.

Meguiars also has a Professional line of SMAT products that consist of their most popular M105 & M205 polishes. My "go to" polishes these days are usually M105, UC and M205 depending on the task.

....one tip regarding UC. I found it will leave micro-marring when applied by hand (discovered this while experimenting). However, considering its corrective ability I was really surprised at how well it finished when applied via machine (I was using my Flex 3401VRG with it). I still feel the need to follow up with a finishing polish (like Swirl-X, M205 or one of my Opt polishes) but it's neat OTC product in my book.

As always, I recommend testing these products on a test panel/section of the car first before committing to the entire vehicle. ....and use the least aggressive methods/products/tools necessary to achieve the desired result.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would be the best polish for me to use if I just want something to help with that deep shine before waxing?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
What is the current condition of your finish and what is your expectation of the outcome? Also, what tools (if any) do you have to work with (i.e. DA polisher, pads, etc.) or will you be doing this all by hand?

Swirl-X may be a good choice for very light correction that you can follow up with a wax/sealant after application. ….Scratch-X is a little more abrasive followed by Ultimate Compound (which is even more). There is also a new polish out called “Ultimate Polish” (IIRC) you could also try out (somewhere between Swirl-X and Scratch-X in abrasiveness IIRC).

Another option is using a paint cleanser prior to waxing or an AIO (all in one) product. These will typically help remove some contaminants, light oxidation, stains, etc. and some will even help fill and/or correct light blemishes. Glazes can also help fill minor blemishes and depending on some finishes (and the product), may add some depth, wetness, etc.

IMO/IME, most of your dramatic differences in the final result will come from actually correcting blemishes and “jewelling” the finish (if you’re so inclined) with a fine polish prior to the application of your wax/sealant. This will also provide longer lasting results since there are no temporary fillers that will wear away after a couple of washes. However, if you’re doing this all by hand and the paint is already in relatively good condition, you may just want to stick with a wax/sealant and call it a day.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the current condition of your finish and what is your expectation of the outcome? Also, what tools (if any) do you have to work with (i.e. DA polisher, pads, etc.) or will you be doing this all by hand?

Swirl-X may be a good choice for very light correction that you can follow up with a wax/sealant after application. ….Scratch-X is a little more abrasive followed by Ultimate Compound (which is even more). There is also a new polish out called “Ultimate Polish” (IIRC) you could also try out (somewhere between Swirl-X and Scratch-X in abrasiveness IIRC).

Another option is using a paint cleanser prior to waxing or an AIO (all in one) product. These will typically help remove some contaminants, light oxidation, stains, etc. and some will even help fill and/or correct light blemishes. Glazes can also help fill minor blemishes and depending on some finishes (and the product), may add some depth, wetness, etc.

IMO/IME, most of your dramatic differences in the final result will come from actually correcting blemishes and “jewelling” the finish (if you’re so inclined) with a fine polish prior to the application of your wax/sealant. This will also provide longer lasting results since there are no temporary fillers that will wear away after a couple of washes. However, if you’re doing this all by hand and the paint is already in relatively good condition, you may just want to stick with a wax/sealant and call it a day.
My paint is in good condition just a few swirls that you can only see in direct sunlight. I may just clay it and wax it.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
My paint is in good condition just a few swirls that you can only see in direct sunlight. I may just clay it and wax it.
….another thing you can do is clay the car and then tape off a small (~1’x1’) area on a panel (with low tack painters tape) to try to see how the paint will look with just the wax you select. ….or you can just go ahead and purchase the UC and Swirl-X (since they would be handy to have on hand anyhow) and use those on the test area to see how you like the results (starting with the Swirl-X first, then the UC if you need something more aggressive. I would follow up with the Swirl-X if you use the UC).

A test panel/section gives you an idea of how a product(s) will perform, how much effort is needed to get the result you are after and can save you a lot of frustration (vs. performing the process on the entire car and finding out you don’t like the result). When you remove the tape you can directly compare the finish side by side and decide if that is the route you want to take. ….I hope this makes sense (I know I can ramble at times).

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
try clay bar first. i like zaino's after that. perfect deep shine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
try clay bar first. i like zaino's after that. perfect deep shine.
I can't remember which one but I know one of the Zainos is supposed to get rid of swirl marks. Is it abrasive or does it just have fillers?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I can't remember which one but I know one of the Zainos is supposed to get rid of swirl marks. Is it abrasive or does it just have fillers?
....Zaino used to be more about their flagship sealant Z-2 as well as Z-5 (coupled with Z-1 before the introduction of Zfx). They later began introducing more products and Z-PC was really their first one that was actually a corrective polish (albeit light). It has no fillers and no protective properties (essentially just a polish). Further down the road they then introduced Z-AIO. Like other all-in-ones, it has chemical cleaners and light abrasives coupled with protectants. I would say it has more corrective action than other AIO’s I have tried (like Klasse).

As far as I know (unless something has changed recently in Sal’s lineup), the above two are the only “abrasive” paint products he has. He hasn’t really delved into carrying correction products so most users for years had to look elsewhere to fulfill that requirement (and still do depending on their goals/requirements). …..heck, it wasn’t until relatively recently that he started to even consider microfiber as a viable solution for product removal and started carrying some of his own (that met his standards). He has some decent products but I haven’t always agreed with some of his views.

Between Z-2 and Z-5, Z-5 is the one that contains fillers. Both are labeled as “polishes” but are really “sealants” in the traditional sense (they contain no abrasives). IMO/IME, Z-5 does a decent job of masking light scratches. Z-2 is a pure sealant they claim is “optically perfect” and they recommend it should always be the last coat(s) when using Z-5. Zfx is an accelerator that you can use that helps speed up the curing process of their polishes and allows you to apply up to 3 coats of Z-2/Z-5 within a 24 hr period. It is also supposed to help with durability of their products and something I use myself when I have/do use his sealants.

….hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts