Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used or have info on the new meguiars ceramic wax?. Sounds too good to be true. Meguiars is normally a trusted product,but not sure on this one. I did a search but didn't see any. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have used 2 bottles of it and sure does seem to bead the water. It does not feel as slick as if you were drying with a spray wax.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's pretty new, but there are some Youtube vid's out on it.

Mequiar's Ceramic Wax Comparison Test

Compare it to P&S Beadmaker...that's the stuff I use and it's really slick stuff. Water runs off like crazy when you wash it and if you hit it with a leaf blower there's almost no toweling needed. Not too expensive either.

--------------------------------------//----

·
Super Moderator
12,551 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I have been testing the Mequiars Ultimate Fast Finish over the last 6 months on my daily 100 mile driver Challenger. After preparing the paint, wash, clay bar since my Challenger is new that's about all was needed for paint prep. Paint smooth and clean!
Applied 2 coats of the Fast Finish on Oct. 27th 2018. Water beeding is excellent and i found it to hold up well with washing my car at a rate of at least once a week. I found after about 3.5 months of my abuse on the Fast Finish the beeding action was wearing down so started using the Ultimate Fast Wax as a topper after a wash. Fast wax lasts about 1 month of my abuse of washes so reapplied the Ultimate Fast Finish in early March 2019.
It works great and lasts I say 5 to 6 months of real world daily driver abuse of 100 miles daily commute. My Challenger lives outside 24/7. The Fast Finish makes washing easy and sometimes just a quick power wash was enough then a blow dry with my leaf blower which is how i dry my car.
I like it! Its fast to apply, easy and lasts. I don't see a reason to use the fast wax as a topper in between coatings of the Fast Finish because it is so fast to just give it another coat. I used up the fast wax since i bought it but now just going to wioe on another layer of Fast Finish when needed. Love the stuff!!! This pic is from last weekend after a wash. 10,450 miles of driving since new off the lot Oct.2018. On the tires i use Mckee's 37 tire gloss gel it also lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. I also use the Fast Finish on the wheels.

20190324_165358_1554456512113.jpg
20190324_165329_1554456554737.jpg

·
Registered
669 Posts
Does anyone know if can be used on Satin Hood? I want to try it but seems like it would be a pain if it can’t be used on hood. When I got quotes on Ceramic Coating someplaces said to coat the hood and some said no.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Does anyone know if can be used on Satin Hood? I want to try it but seems like it would be a pain if it can’t be used on hood. When I got quotes on Ceramic Coating someplaces said to coat the hood and some said no.

I don't think I would coat your satin hood decal with ceramic coating. Most sealants, waxes and coating say don't apply to decals or plastics and rubber. I'm sure there is something you could use on your satin decaling. 303 Protectant would be excellent but after a rain would wash off and leave streaks on it. Hopefully someone will chime in and help with this.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use the Meguiars D15601 Synthetic X Press spray was almost after every wash and I'm very happy with it. It not only beads water great it also makes washing much easier and of course easy to apply. I saw they have a $5 off the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax but again, I'm very happy with the Synthetic X Press wax so I didn't buy it...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I use the Meguiars D15601 Synthetic X Press spray was almost after every wash and I'm very happy with it. It not only beads water great it also makes washing much easier and of course easy to apply. I saw they have a $5 off the Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax but again, I'm very happy with the Synthetic X Press wax so I didn't buy it...
I think I have to get me some of that.

Actually I need to look up how to wash my car cuz I've always just got the soap wax type and that's it..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think I have to get me some of that.

Actually I need to look up how to wash my car cuz I've always just got the soap wax type and that's it..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
So this is what I do and I've been very happy with the results and maintenance especially since it's very time consuming.

1 - I wash the car with a good quality soap with no wax. I like the RainX Foaming car wax or for very dirty car use the RainX RX Hvy Duty Wash.
2 - If the car surface feels rough (contaminate), I would clay after a good wash. I also use the car soap as lubricant when claying and then just rise
3 - I use Meguiars Correction compound to remove any minor scratches/swirl marks
4 - Wax using the Meguiars ultimate wax (probably once every 4 months)
5 - In between waxing (after weekly wash) I dry the car and then apply the Meguiars Ultimate Detailer - I get the gallon which is about $29 and will probably last a year. I've had mine for at least 6 months and only used about 2 qts.

I'm not a professional detailer by any means but I can honestly say that the surface of my car looks like new. It's a 3 year old daily driver with over 53k miles.

Both pic below are recent with the one of the front view taken about 2 months ago. As you can see in the sunlight no swirl marks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Interesting...

Mequiars has some really good products (Ultimate Compound, #105, Aluminum wheel cleaner), and some decent ones as well.

However, other than their compounds, most of their products and especially the waxes, are targeted towards the "casual detailer" who is really just a person who keeps their cars clean. Their products are made for ease of use to promote mass sales. This ease of use however comes at the expense of quality...Not that their products are "bad" quality, but rather they're not as good as other products.

I'm going to try this "ceramic" wax as a top coat, since the video emphasized it can used as such, and compare it to the Jescar Paint Refresh I've been using, as the cost of the Mequiars is about 25% less.

I am skeptical however of any product's claim when it's applied as a "spray on, rinse off" (in that, I share skepticism with the Dallas Paint Correction guy). It's interesting that in the video they state that a base coat needs to be applied in the more traditional sense (apply, then wipe off).

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm going to try this Hybrid Ceramic stuff myself... The vast majority of people say that it's fantastic. I plan on doing a good wash, then clayng (actually, Mothers Quick Clay 2.0), then the Hybrid Ceramic spray. Car is relatively new, so I don't think it's contaminated badly or even that there is a lot of "wax" buildup, but I figured that I might as well start "clean" before doing the initial application of the Hybrid Ceramic.

Will definitely give some feedback (may do that this weekend)...

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't think I would coat your satin hood decal with ceramic coating. Most sealants, waxes and coating say don't apply to decals or plastics and rubber. I'm sure there is something you could use on your satin decaling. 303 Protectant would be excellent but after a rain would wash off and leave streaks on it. Hopefully someone will chime in and help with this.
It’s painted Satin Black

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
It’s painted Satin Black
Sorry my bad!
I don't have OEM or aftermarket stripes on my Challenger, but on my 43' RV I have them all over it. When i wash that big sucker and then use Mequiars Ultimate Fast Finish on it I cover it all stripes and everything. Hasn't bothered the decals yet in 5 yrs but time will tell. Satin stripes will be a tough one to keep that way when I'm waxing.
Sorry to disappoint. Good helps hard to find!

·
Registered
968 Posts
I saw that video. You mean the video where he never even tried using the product, correct? :) He was all bent out of shape over the whole SDS datasheet and what was or wasn't on it. Personally, I don't give a damn what's in the bottle - as long as the product works - and from what I've seen and read, it works really well.

EDIT: Also, read through the comments on that video. Apparently, SIO2 doesn't need to be on the SDS sheet unless it's in powder form - at least that is what most are saying. I'm sorry, but to completely bash a product that you've never even tested is NOT what a good reviewer does. This could be the best product on the planet and he's completely writing it off without even testing it just because it has the word "ceramic" in the name?? There was another video where another guy basically did the same thing - until he *actually* tried the product - then he changed his tune big time and released a follow-up video saying how wrong he was...

·
Super Moderator
13,334 Posts
So this is what I do and I've been very happy with the results and maintenance especially since it's very time consuming.

1 - I wash the car with a good quality soap with no wax. I like the RainX Foaming car wax or for very dirty car use the RainX RX Hvy Duty Wash.
2 - If the car surface feels rough (contaminate), I would clay after a good wash. I also use the car soap as lubricant when claying and then just rise
3 - I use Meguiars Correction compound to remove any minor scratches/swirl marks
4 - Wax using the Meguiars ultimate wax (probably once every 4 months)
5 - In between waxing (after weekly wash) I dry the car and then apply the Meguiars Ultimate Detailer - I get the gallon which is about $29 and will probably last a year. I've had mine for at least 6 months and only used about 2 qts.

I'm not a professional detailer by any means but I can honestly say that the surface of my car looks like new. It's a 3 year old daily driver with over 53k miles.
I, basically, use the same washing/waxing procedure. I differ a little because I use the two-bucket/grid-guard washing technique and apply Meguiars' Polish before the Ultimate Wax. I, too, have achieved fantastic results and my 2009 SRT looks showroom new.

Where do you buy the Detailer Spray in one-gallon containers?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I, basically, use the same washing/waxing procedure. I differ a little because I use the two-bucket/grid-guard washing technique and apply Meguiars' Polish before the Ultimate Wax. I, too, have achieved fantastic results and my 2009 SRT looks showroom new.

Where do you buy the Detailer Spray in one-gallon containers?
Amazon has it for $32 but I purchased mine from Autogeek. It was on sale for 25% off during the holidays so I paid like $28. Regular price is $38. That's a great price since it's about $8.47 for a 22oz bottle at Walmart or about $46 for a gallon at that price.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
20 Participants
Mud Yapster
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing