Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Meguiar's D143 to try and reading the back of the bottle it said don't use on bare aluminum or painted brake parts. So naturally I took my wheels off yesterday for a full clean and just wiped my red calipers with a micro fiber cloth.... they came clean very easily because they're ceramic coated.

Anyway, has anyone used this stuff on their painted calipers? Being non acid I thought it would be safe for just about anything.

I wasn't overly impressed with it because it took quite a bit of brush work to get them clean. I'll probably go back to Adam's or Chemical Guys for some cleaner.

Wheel Automotive tire Hubcap Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Bottle Automotive lighting Liquid Automotive tire

·
Registered
22' SPWB F8 Green: Hellcat lower air box/ceramic tint/ceramic coating
86 Posts
It is decent stuff, not the best. However, if you use a long soft bristle brush it will make cleaning all the brake dust off much easier. like this wheel brush. Meguires has a iron oxide remover that is much better at removing the dust and debri, but if your looking to spend a bit more try Gyeon Tire Cleaner and their Gyeon Iron Remover, this stuff is amazing.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,458 Posts
I've had great success with Sonnax Wheel Cleaners. Spendy but worth it, I buy it by the 5 gallon jug.

In used an Armor All wheel cleaner a few years ago on my old 13 R/T, it messed up the paint on my Envy wheels. I was pissed! Found out later it was caustic.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
33,079 Posts

This is an iron remover/wheel cleaner. Safe on paint as well as bare metal

A Guy

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
22' SPWB F8 Green: Hellcat lower air box/ceramic tint/ceramic coating
86 Posts
I've had great success with Sonnax Wheel Cleaners. Spendy but worth it, I buy it by the 5 gallon jug.

In used an Armor All wheel cleaner a few years ago on my old 13 R/T, it messed up the paint on my Envy wheels. I was pissed! Found out later it was caustic.

I forgot about this, this is great stuff!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But has anyone used the Meguiar's on their painted brake parts?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good to know, thanks.

I usually tale my wheels off once per season to get a thorough clean but it's a pain in the ass :D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
But has anyone used the Meguiar's on their painted brake parts?
I've used the D140 diluted as described without any issues. Just make sure you don't spray on hot wheels and make sure you don't let it sit for too long especially in the sun. I've also P&S wheel and wheel cleaner and think it's easier to use then Meguiars more forgiving in direct sun
Liquid Automotive tire Fluid Personal care Plastic bottle

·
Registered
444 Posts
All wheel and tire cleaners are essentially a degreaser.

P&S Brake Buster works well for maintaining but if there is any heavy build up you’ll need to use it neat.

I’ve used 3D Orange and 3D Yellow, currently using IGL Multi. 1:1 for hammered wheels or tires. 4:1 for maintenance on wheels and tires or 10:1 for very light cleaning. I follow up with 3D BDX iron remover if necessary.

I usually only use an iron remover once every three months on my car and regular car shampoo for the wheels since mine are ceramic coated.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I'm a Jay Leno product user. I do not know who makes them, but they work great, simple and really does the job.
Plus Jay is a real world car guy, don't think he would put his name on something that would just make him money if it didn't really do what is advertised.
mho

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Coated wheels and calipers shouldn't need anything stronger than the shampoo being used on the paint. Unless neglected for a while.

Reactions: Stumblin Steve
1 - 16 of 16 Posts