Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax - any good?

16K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  racindemon 
#1 ·
I am a bit of a noob when it comes to waxing so pardon my ignorance.

I used Meguire's gold shampoo recently and I liked the result, so I decided to try a wax, but I am afraid to use paste wax or anything that can cause issues if I messed up the application of the wax.

So I saw the Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax and I was wondering if anybody used this product on a Challenger, do you liked it?

Should I even be using it, or avoid it?

I've never used clay bars either, so can I use the Quik Wax spray after a clay bar or no?

Cheers!

#3 ·
wax

I use the yellow Meguiar's wash and wax the nxt 2.0 wax and the quick wax (most often) I like, but I am new to having a car worth detainling three times a week :). Anyways I like it and it's easy to use, but I dont think you are supposed to let it dry. Actually im pretty sure it specifically says not to but I dunno. I heard a trick though from a old detailer that if you mist your car after your all done with whatever wax process that you use that it really brings the shine out but ive never tried.

#5 ·
From years of experience, I have learned that the secret to a great shine is using a quality wax AND weekly applications of detail spray.

For best results with Meguiars' products, I use NXT Tech Wax 2.0 three times a year and weekly applications of Meguiars Detail Spray. Your car will have a mirror finish, like mine, with minimal effort. Just remember to use a fresh microfiber waxing pad and microfiber polishing cloths. Also, remove the the wax by rubbing from side-to-side- not in a circular motion in order to avoid swirl marks.

Here a photo showing the reflective shine on my SRT.

Attachments

#6 ·
I am in the crowd that no longer has the time or desire to wax or detail a car every every month. It gets waxed every 6 months.

I've use Meguiars NXT 2.0 twice on the car. It does not last very long. It loses its "slipperiness" in only 3 months. I'll assume that means it's protection from the sun is also gone in 3 months.

I am looking for a longer lasting wax.

But to answer your question: If you are willing to wax the car every 3 months, the NXT 2.0 LIQUID wax goes on very easy and comes off just the same. Use the LIQUID wax. The spray wax is intended to be used in-between regular waxes. Not as your primary wax.

#7 ·
Meguire's "Quick wax mist & wipe is the only thing that touches my car along with microfiber towels. This is a product you DON'T want to avoid. It is safe for clear coats and really easy to use. You can apply it wet or dry. Great product. The Clay bar deal is something you only want to do 2 or 3 times at the most a year. What people don't understand is every time you wax your car with heavy rubbing compounds you actually remove a small layer of clear coat. It will take years to completely remove your clear coat but if you are like guys I know who waxes every 2 dayzzz.......get my drift?

#8 ·
used it at the Mopar rally in Branson yesterday. Great stuff. I am a Meguires user all the way now.

#9 ·
I am not trying to step on any toes or make anyone upset. I'm just trying to help the person that asked the initial question make a decision:

Here is the info right off their website.

Read the last sentence. It only lasts for weeks.

Meguiar's® Ultimate Quik Wax is the fastest way to a dazzling, show-car shine! Featuring Meguiar's Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™, it makes paint come alive with a deep, wet-look shine you would only expect from liquid or paste waxes. Our new technology leaves no white residue on plastic and trim, and it can even be applied in direct sunlight! Simply mist on and wipe off. So fast and easy that you can wax your entire car in just minutes! The protection and relentless water beading, however, lasts for weeks.

Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901

#10 ·
I use it in between quarterly meguires 2.0 waxes and I always get super beads when water hits it.

#11 ·
I have been driving my Toxic Orange Classic for a few days now. Went to Wally World and saw/purchased Meguire's New Car Kit. Just have used the Wash & Wax thus far due to off and on rain showers here. Kit is packaged with products that work for fresh factory paint. Also purchased the Meguire's Wheel Polishing Kit. Once I get a break in the weather and detail my car, I'll post my findings.

Meguiar's Direct Brilliant Solutions New Car Kit
Meguiar's Direct Brilliant Solutions Wheel Polishing Kit

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the reply guys, I went to Canadian tire and got the Meguiar's Quik Wax.

Then of course I had to try it, even though it will be raining the whole week here.

Wow, this Quik Wax spray is amazing. Very easy to apply and clear with a soft cloth. I used it on the plastics - looks great. I understand it will only last couple of weeks, but I don't mind putting it on once a month or so.

I understand now what all the fuss about waxing is, even though it made thin layer it made the car VERY slippery and shiny. Looks like a million bucks car now :)

While I was drying the car an older (older than me anyway) guy who was parking nearby came to chat about the Challenger. Asked me about the wheel base, engine (yeah it's got hemi), suspension and how it is in corners. He mention he used to drive Challenger back in the days and that the new one feels somewhat bigger - we both agreed.

The car is attention getter... :)

#13 ·
Meguiar's

Yes, Im glad you liked it, I do a quick wash and then use the quick wax twice a week and wax it completly once a month or so. I like it and I dont care if it rains that day I still use the quick wax because how good the huge rain drops look against the torred paint. And also if you look at my pictures you will see a picture with challenger next to my fiances tc and I used the Meguiar's wheel cone kit from wally world (20.00) and man did it make those wheels shine. It was easy to use fast and easy to clean up.

#14 ·
All I use is Meguiar's products. I've been to a couple detailing classes over at their corporate office and they are all great people. But yes, I usually hit my car with their quick wax after every wash I do. During the week I will also hit it with the Ultimate quick detail spray they have.

#15 ·
Well, I'm a "Liquid Glass" user for my regular "waxing" a few times a year.

However, I use the Meguiars Quick detail spray after every wash. Just makes the finish look great. It's only lasts a few weeks, or washes, but that's what it's design to do....................gives a "detailed shine" quickly.

IMO, it helps the and protects the original "wax", reguardless of brand used.

I've been very pleased with the ease of use, and the end results.

#17 ·
I am a bit of a noob when it comes to waxing so pardon my ignorance.

I used Meguire's gold shampoo recently and I liked the result, so I decided to try a wax, but I am afraid to use paste wax or anything that can cause issues if I messed up the application of the wax.

So I saw the Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax and I was wondering if anybody used this product on a Challenger, do you liked it?

Should I even be using it, or avoid it?

I tried UQW when it first came out and thought it was “ok”. I got a bit of streaking from it on the black car I was testing it on at the time but beyond that, I simply wasn’t that impressed with the product overall. That’s not to say it’s a bad product, it just wasn’t something I thought I could use in my arsenal or as a replacement to what I was already using. Personally, in this category (quick waxes/quick detailers; QW’s/QD’s) I still prefer Duragloss #951 (Aquawax). I find it versatile, user friendly and relatively inexpensive. It can also be used as a “spray as you dry”. I’ve never had any streaking/compatibility issues with it and it can be used on the entire vehicle (trim, rubber, glass, etc.).

UQW was intended to be used on an already dry (clean) vehicle. The product flash dries rather quickly so waiting for it to haze is really unnecessary. The following thread has some good tips you may find useful to help with your result and maximize the performance of the product:

The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

I see no problem using a product like UQW as often as you like provided the vehicle is clean. QW’s and QD’s are an easy, fast way to help keep that “just waxed” look and feel. They can also help extended the life of your LSP (last step product; wax/sealant) in some cases.

I've never used clay bars either, so can I use the Quik Wax spray after a clay bar or no?

Cheers!
Yes, you can. However, to Rick’s point, I don’t know if I would rely on UQW as my sole LSP. If you were using it often, I suppose it can be argued that a “base” product may not be necessary (everything else being equal as far as the characteristics of each product). Personally though, I rather use these products as “toppers” for more resilient, durable products that they cover. It’s your choice however. In either case, just keep in mind that if you do clay, you will likely remove any LSP that is currently on the vehicle’s finish. ….so you will want to use something afterward (even if it is just the UQW).

A couple of other points regarding some comments I read that I felt the need to chime in on….

As with most detailing products/processes, clay should be used when necessary (no need for overuse). Yes, it is an abrasive product on its own but most OTC grades of clay are relatively gentle when used properly (with an appropriate lubricant and with the proper technique). There are also varying grades of clay from ones that are more aggressive (for tough restorative jobs) to those that are quite gentle (even on LSP’s) and are intended for frequent use on light contamination. It can be argued that regular use of these fine-grade bars can even negate the need for more aggressive clays in some cases.

You should remember that clay is not intended as a “corrective” product in the same sense as a polishing “compound”. Clay is a contaminant removal tool meant to glide across the paintwork shearing impurities from the surface of your finish. That’s not to say clay can’t mar or that it doesn’t happen to the best of us from time to time even when we think we’re doing everything “right”. On the other hand, a compound is designed to abrade to help remove or diminish scratches (usually meant to be followed by a finishing polish). “Waxing” with your typical sealants/waxes (with the exception of some particular products like AIO’s/all in ones) is a non-corrective process.

On the subject of swirls, if you were to view them under strong lighting (like halogen work lamps) you would find they are typically not the circular pattern many would expect. They are usually a just a series of relatively straight scratches. These are usually caused during washing/drying but can also be the result of any product/tool/technique in the detailing process or simply from other sources (i.e. people brushing against the car, etc.). When these scratches are viewed under certain conditions (like in direct sunlight), they can appear as "swirls" or "cobwebs" that radiate in a circular pattern away from the reflection of the point of light and appear to move as your viewing angle does. ….its an illusion and unless something is wrong in your choice of products/tools/techniques, you shouldn’t be seeing “swirls” as a result of application/removal of your typically LSP’s or QW’s/QD’s. The more popular circular damage/blemishes I typically see are what are known as “buffer trails” and/or “halograms” (caused by inexperience using a rotary buffer).

#18 ·
I am a Meguiars fanatic. I use Ultimate wax, Ultimate quick wax for touchups, and Quick detailer when I dont need a wash on my Black Tahoe. Its been awhile now since I have gone crazy on it. Its been since I got my Challenger actually....LOL. I use Ultimate on it too. Its B5, so there really isnt "depth" like a dark color. As for beading, well, it hasnt gotten wet yet. I tried the Adams Gaurd and Gloss, Spraying it on a wet towel, and I dunno. The car shines to begin with. I dont know that it can shine more. Fortunately I have 2 vehicles and like I said, the Challenger hasnt gotten wet yet. It also only has 900 miles on it LOL

#20 ·
Its the best OTC product we can use on our cars. Now you can get a little better product from like chemical guys, but there products are hit or miss. Somethings they sell are excellent others not so much. If you want to try something neutral try chemical guys butter wax. Works pretty well and easy on and off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.