Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen info pro and con on this. I need to know FOR SURE if aftermarket metal air valve caps have any affect on TPMS sensors in ANY WAY-blocking and or damaging. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I don't see why it would, if anything it should help since the outer thread portion is also the antenna, so using a metal cap may actually improve the signal.

Generally speaking, the TPMS that come with metal caps do so for a reason and replacing them with plastic caps may cause signal issues but I've never heard of metal caps in place of plastic causing problems.

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts
I've replaced mine with metal valve stem caps, and the TPMS worked as advertised for both flats I recently experienced. Your results may vary!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I was wondering about that too because my Charger came with nitrogen-filled tires and metal caps and I experienced several false alerts from the TPMS with this particular car.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
Metal Caps will not have an impact on how the sensor functions. What can, and does happen with them is that they galled onto the stem. The Stem is part of the TPMS sensor and it's made out of Aluminum. Most caps are also Aluminum and you can get corrosion between the two and the stems are very delicate so when you try to remove the caps, they sometimes snap the stem out of the TPMS sensor.

If you want to run them (I do) just coat the threads on the stems with a good anti-seize and do not over tighten the caps.

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Galvanic corrosion is when dis-similar attack each other. The caps actually seize on the stems and then you have an expensive problem. If you put a brass kick plate on a steel door on your house the door will turn black behind it and rust through.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Hold-on, we need brass kick-plates on our wheels now???

(I've had metal caps on for a while now, too, with no problems)

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
If you regularly check the air pressure and fill them its unlikely you'd have a problem. Some drivers don't and they go untouched for long periods and water and road grime get in there as well.
I think kick plates would look amazing on your doors, lol.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'd say take the chance and spend the $4 bucks. If they interfere then just put the plastic ones back on....

I've also had mine on for over 2 years now and never had any issues. TBH I would have figured, someone would have stole them a long time ago before they effected anything. Still got all 4. Runs outside and checks, yep all 4 still on there.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,117 Posts
I had metal ones with Mopar emblems on my RT for years, no problems. Put them on my SRT an they stole just one of them, at a car show just for spite I guess.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
The metal caps will corrode on the metal valve stems over time. I've seen it a lot working in a automotive shop. Especially on older TPMS cars and trucks.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have had two seperate shops that rotated my tires tell me that the metal on metal caps are not a good idea. I never had any problems but decided not to court trouble. I simply found some metal caps I liked that have the plastic lining on the inside...problem solved

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have yet to find any metal valve cover caps that actually fit properly. While they screw on and cover the threaded area, they don't cover all of the brass. The only problem I've had with the metal ones is the rubber o-ring inside two of them crimped up when tightened and pressed on the valve causing a slow air leak, but no problems since.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Actually, I did have some cheapo chrome caps on my Ram a few years ago that did seize/fuse/corrode on the TPMS and I cracked the top off when I took one stubborn one off. I heard the same thing from the dealer about metal caps being a bad idea, and did it anyway because I did coat the threads. My general thought is that it depends on the quality/type of the metal and the environment, ie winter/salt, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Galvanic corrosion is when dis-similar attack each other. The caps actually seize on the stems and then you have an expensive problem. If you put a brass kick plate on a steel door on your house the door will turn black behind it and rust through.
If you put a Mylar tape between the two dissimilar metals, such as the brass kick plate and steel door, it will inhibit the corrosion. I worked for Utility Trailer and we used it between aluminum and mild steel and the stainless rear case assembly. Just sayin...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts