Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with hellcat methanol injection kit? (on a a 2016 Hellcat)
What are the Pros/Cons?

Is it "bad for the engine"? (i.e. Corrosive, foul plug, clog injectors etc)

Im looking at the $359 one, I don't mind spending up to $600ish, IF it worth the extra $

HEMI Stage 2 Boost Cooler® by Snow Performance

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,317 Posts
Pretty neat, do you know if this would work with an SRT392 NA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I toyed with this idea when I first got my 2015 Scat,but after talking at length with HHP (High Horse Performance), decided not to.

They strongly advised against it; little or no gain in benefit for the cost; if you don’t tune for performance, you get little benefit; if you tune for performance, any performance gain is outweighed by the risk.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Looking at the description it's for forced induction to bump up the octane to 116 vs 91/93.

So OP are you drag racing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I toyed with this idea when I first got my 2015 Scat,but after talking at length with HHP (High Horse Performance), decided not to.

They strongly advised against it; little or no gain in benefit for the cost; if you don’t tune for performance, you get little benefit; if you tune for performance, any performance gain is outweighed by the risk.

THAT's kinda the way I'm thinking. I'm not tuned and don't plan on it. The only thing I want out of it, is to lower the temp on my intercooler guage, in the summers by 15+ degrees. That alone would make me happy.
For every 10 degrees up, on that guage, it soaks 2 % horsepower. (14 hp), the difference between January (I/C at 60 ish ) and Summer (I/C at 110 ish)...50 deg, ...10% ....70hp loss. Sounds like a lot, but it feels like even more.
Every May to September, I feel like I'm back in my scat pack, or using the black key.

Bottom line, I'm not looking for miracles, but only to get back 30 or so hp.....but Safe to the engine, its not worth any risk at all to me.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the description it's for forced induction to bump up the octane to 116 vs 91/93.

So OP are you drag racing?

No...I don't drag. On the weekends we do a lot of 40 to 140+ roll racing. As I said in reply to the other post, (I'll jus copy paste here):
I'm not tuned and don't plan on it. The only thing I want out of it, is to lower the temp on my intercooler guage, in the summers by 15+ degrees. That alone would make me happy.
For every 10 degrees up, on that gauge, it soaks 2 % horsepower. (14 hp), the difference between January (I/C at 60 ish ) and Summer (I/C at 110 ish)...50 deg, ...10% ....70hp loss. Sounds like a lot, but it feels like even more.
Every May to September, I feel like I'm back in my scat pack, or using the black key.

Bottom line, I'm not looking for miracles, but only to get back 30 or so hp.....but Safe to the engine, its not worth any risk at all to me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Yeah just saw it you where tying when I posted it XD but wouldn't it better to improve the cooling?

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,317 Posts
No...I don't drag. On the weekends we do a lot of 40 to 140+ roll racing. As I said in reply to the other post, (I'll jus copy paste here):
I'm not tuned and don't plan on it. The only thing I want out of it, is to lower the temp on my intercooler guage, in the summers by 15+ degrees. That alone would make me happy.
For every 10 degrees up, on that gauge, it soaks 2 % horsepower. (14 hp), the difference between January (I/C at 60 ish ) and Summer (I/C at 110 ish)...50 deg, ...10% ....70hp loss. Sounds like a lot, but it feels like even more.

My answer was geared towards @Redaftrp. For folks with FI, there are a lot who do use methanol for cooling, but they also usually drag race and have aggressive race tunes. If you're not looking to go that route, the "cost/benefit/risk" component of my answer may still apply. As with any bolt-on system, the devil is in the details of the installation, and tuning your engine to depend on methanol brings with it the risk of severe damage should the meth system fail, or you simply run out of fluid. At the strip, topping of the fluid would be the normal course of business between runs. Hopping in the car in your garage to run some errands and having the meth system running is where you'd get into trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts