Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Challenger SRT been running 255/45R20 Michelin Pilot SS since day 1. They now have the Sport 4 S was wondering if anyone is running them and if they in fact are an upgrade to the Pilot SS?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
They seem to be very well liked. I'm considering a set too. Still feels like forever before spring will get here though.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, Im due for tires next month going to see if i can transfer discount from the SS to the 4S since the SS only lasted about 10k miles.

·
Super Moderator
14,425 Posts
Cool, Im due for tires next month going to see if i can transfer discount from the SS to the 4S since the SS only lasted about 10k miles.
Hope you get better mileage with the 4S tire. However, its treadwear rating is 300 AAA- the same as the Super Sport. This is the price you pay for a maximum performance tire with a soft compound. You can get much better mileage from a quality all-season tire, like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 and Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. Unless you are racing, you will not notice that much difference in performance.

Make sure you rotate them every 6,000 miles and keep the pressure at the prescribed amount.

·
Super Moderator
16,330 Posts
Hope you get better mileage with the 4S tire. However, its treadwear rating is 300 AAA- the same as the Super Sport. This is the price you pay for a maximum performance tire with a soft compound. You can get much better mileage from a quality all-season tire, like the Continental Extreme Contact DWS-06 and Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. Unless you are racing, you will not notice that much difference in performance.

Make sure you rotate them every 6,000 miles and keep the pressure at the prescribed amount.
Most tire warranties require rotations every 6K max to retain the treadwear warranty (if there is one). The maintenance schedule on 3.6 & 5.7 equipped vehicles call for rotations at each oil change (could be 10K under optimal conditions). I'd still rotate the tires sooner, read the warranty info from tire mfgr for that.

also per FCA maintenance schedule the Scat Pack and SRT models tire rotations called out for every 6K

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Most tire warranties require rotations every 6K max to retain the treadwear warranty (if there is one). The maintenance schedule on 3.6 & 5.7 equipped vehicles call for rotations at each oil change (could be 10K under optimal conditions). I'd still rotate the tires sooner, read the warranty info from tire mfgr for that.

also per FCA maintenance schedule the Scat Pack and SRT models tire rotations called out for every 6K
Agree, I rotate them when I do the oil change. It's also the time I get to scrub the wheel well and give the rim a thorough cleaning and wax...

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Tirerack rated the 4S as its #1 maximum performance summer tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=223
At $350 a tire though...I dunno. These cars eat tires and that's a tough price to justify. I mean if you actually want to feel the performance advantage a tire like that can offer, you are driving your car hard. Those tires will only last 10-15k miles driving like that then...just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At $350 a tire though...I dunno. These cars eat tires and that's a tough price to justify. I mean if you actually want to feel the performance advantage a tire like that can offer, you are driving your car hard. Those tires will only last 10-15k miles driving like that then...just my opinion of course.

I dont pay anywhere near that for the Pilot SS, I go through my local shop so its a plus for me. I live in South Florida so all season tires are blah for me Id rather spend the extra coin for the grip.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I dont pay anywhere near that for the Pilot SS, I go through my local shop so its a plus for me. I live in South Florida so all season tires are blah for me Id rather spend the extra coin for the grip.
Curious what you do pay and if you are running 275/40r20s?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
^^^I see those are 255/45s and out of stock at the moment...

The 275/40s I saw were $350 per tire I think.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,425 Posts
Owner reviews, like this, should cause some concern:

"I owned the tires for 2 weeks, and took them back as soon as I could and replaced them with Pirellis. The tires do not ride straight, and wiggle in groves on the road, causing you to lack confidence in the tires. They have horrible handling characteristics, super soft sidewalls that cannot hold up to even semi aggressive cornering. I drove on some back roads with my wife, and they swayed and lost grip in corners and on straights. When I attempted to pass another car on a straight away and accelerated, the tires lost grip, engaging the traction control, and swaying wildly. These are fine as passenger tires, but cannot be considered, in any way, performance tires."

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

"I owned the tires for 2 weeks, and took them back as soon as I could and replaced them with Pirellis. The tires do not ride straight, and wiggle in groves on the road, causing you to lack confidence in the tires. They have horrible handling characteristics, super soft sidewalls that cannot hold up to even semi aggressive cornering. I drove on some back roads with my wife, and they swayed and lost grip in corners and on straights. When I attempted to pass another car on a straight away and accelerated, the tires lost grip, engaging the traction control, and swaying wildly. These are fine as passenger tires, but cannot be considered, in any way, performance tires."
I find that very hard to believe. Now I'll admit I haven't owned a set (But strongly considering them). These are heavily favored performance tires with a ton of positive reviews. There are plenty of Porsche, Corvette and Mustang owners who have had great results on a road course, even though it's a street tire. So it makes me wonder, is there more to this story? Is this reviewer using the correct size for the rim width? Too wide of a tire (Like 305 on a 20x9.5 rim) could cause that. Correct pressure? I'd like to know.

Reactions: EricG

·
Registered
8 Posts
I replaced the three season Pirellis last August. The best decision I have ever made concerning tires. The improved traction alleviates most concerns for a wider tire and the improvement in handling is immediately noticeable.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I find that very hard to believe. Now I'll admit I haven't owned a set (But strongly considering them). These are heavily favored performance tires with a ton of positive reviews. There are plenty of Porsche, Corvette and Mustang owners who have had great results on a road course, even though it's a street tire. So it makes me wonder, is there more to this story? Is this reviewer using the correct size for the rim width? Too wide of a tire (Like 305 on a 20x9.5 rim) could cause that. Correct pressure? I'd like to know.
I know, right???...like what?

·
Registered
528 Posts

This is not my experience at all. I've had mine for about a year now and they are awesome tires. I've have about 12 laps on the Nurburgring with them and the sidewalls felt firm. I have a Procharged 6.1L 09' SRT8 and the grip with these tires is also very good. And and I've never experienced a wiggle, I routinely cruise 125mph+ on the autobahn with one hand on the wheel with full confidence.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
This is not my experience at all. I've had mine for about a year now and they are awesome tires. I've have about 12 laps on the Nurburgring with them and the sidewalls felt firm. I have a Procharged 6.1L 09' SRT8 and the grip with these tires is also very good. And and I've never experienced a wiggle, I routinely cruise 125mph+ on the autobahn with one hand on the wheel with full confidence.
Curious, what size(s) do you have? The fact that you tun them on the Nurburgring kinda helps sell me on them. That would be a pretty good test of stability I'd imagine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts