Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my initial review of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (A/S3, AS3) Ultra-High Performance Sport All-Season tires:

• They are on a stock, non-lowered 2013 SRT.
  • I have only put 200 miles on them so far (I will update the review when I have more miles on them and when I eventually lower the car with Mopar Stage 1s).
  • They are replacing the Goodyear F1's from the factory (got about 13000 miles out of the rears).
  • They are 255/45/20 on all fours.
  • My style of driving could be considered abuse in some states but it is my daily driver.
* Please refer to this thread for more impressions on the tire (that thread title should be changed as some people might not know it's about this tire).
** I can only compare them to the F1s as that is all I have had on my car.

Pros
  • It's one of the few (literally) Y-speed rated all-season tires that fit the Challenger.
  • Better grip coming off the line than F1s.
  • Better dry and wet traction (not bold enough yet to try in the snow).
  • As good if not better than F1s in sharp turns/off-ramps.
  • Ride noise seems slightly higher at low speeds but actually seems quieter at highway speeds.
  • Ride comfort the same at low speeds, better at highway+ speeds than F1.
  • 45,000 mile warranty.
Cons
  • Cost (245s are running around $300, 255s about $260).
  • Appearance (they look a lot taller than the F1s).
The Competition
  • Right now the only other all-season Y-speed rated tire that I could find are the Nitto Motivos.
Conclusion

While I really like these tires compared to the F1s, the cons are kind of a big deal for me and will make me want to try the Motivos next. As long as the Motivos perform just as well, the lower cost and more sporty appearance would make them the clear winner. Either way, if you are looking for an all-season tire with the performance of a summer tire, you won't go wrong with the A/S 3s.

Notes
  • I do realize that most other drivers would be fine with W-rated tires but I feel that the quality has to be better to be Y-rated, even if you don't intend on taking your Challenger to it's max speed.
  • There is no rubbing at all with 255/45's up front.
  • I have attached pictures of the F1s up front vs. the A/S 3's. Even though that's comparing 245s to 255s, when comparing 255 to 255 (sorry don't have any pics of the F1s on the rear), there is still a noticeable difference to me (my brother says the A/S 3's look like truck tires):

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
Holy cow those do look tall! I just put Nitto Motivos on the back of my 392(275/40x20). I do like the appearance of them over these Pilots. Thanks for the honest initial review, I wasn't sure if I should have gone with the pilots.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Thanks for the review, I currently have motivo's on now. 245's fronts and 255's rear. I love them and they handle great dry and wet. Much noticeable difference than the firehawks. Plan on getting a new set of tires next year, wasn't sure if staying with nitto or testing out the Michelin Pilot Sport's.

Well whatever I decide I'm going with 255's front and 275's rear!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like they have a rim protector, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Believe it or not, they are not advertised as having it and what you see in the picture is that the face of the rim sits more sunken than on the F1s (think of it this way: the A/S 3's entire sidewall protrudes as much as the F1 rim protector).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts