Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about going Michelin Super Sports 285/35/20 in back and then to save money, put Nitto 555 up front in a 255/35/20. Would this hurt drivability at all or see any problems with this?

Also, is it better to keep the front and rear ratios both at 35 or should the fronts be 40 or does it matter too much? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I have read that the nitto's 555 wear is HORRIBLE.. but that is again hear say.. personally i don't like to mismatch tires and would save up to have all 4 the same style.

as for ratio.. not a terrible thing.. alot of people run say 40's rear 45 front or 35 rear 40 front alot depends on what tires and what sizes they have to choose.. if you car is STOCK RIDE HEIGHT a 35 wall is going to leave you ALOT OF GAP in the fender well. i wanted a 295 rear but almost nobody makes a 295 40 they all seam to go 35 wall. also the shorter side wall will mean ( TYPICALLY ) a bumpier ride due to less rubber.

again this is just my 2 cents and what i have read. i am in the tire market.. i am going with bfg sport comp 2's i think.. just wish they would go wider than a 275

chris

·
Registered
168 Posts
Overall tire height/diameter matters more than aspect ratio. Just check the manufacturers specs, but I can tell you a 255/35 will be noticeably shorter than a 285/35. The 285 tire has a roughly tall 99 millimeter side wall while the 255 tire has a approximatly 89 millimeter tall side wall, so the front tires would be roughly an inch shorter than the rears

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it may be better to go with a 255/40 up front and 285/35 back just to make the tire heights even out I'm guessing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
You really need to check the manufacturers specs a lot can affect the tires overall diameter, aspect ratios are not exact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts