Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and want to buy a drag radial with the size 275/40/17.

I've heard the Mickey's hook maybe the best? Yet, maybe too good and can cause some bog after launch.

Hoosiers I've heard great things, but also that they sometimes don't hook and can be inconsistent depending on track prep/weather conditions.

BFG, I know Jack runs them and Chris has had nice 60' times with them

M/H, Heard good things but can you get them in a 40 aspect size or only 50?

Any other brands?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong either way. I found the Hoosiers to be very consistent. My 60' times were always between 1.49-1.52. I am now running a Mickey Thompson. The Hoosier were out of stock. However, I'm running a completely different size now so it wouldn't be fair to compare. My best 60' on the MT's is 1.42. They are much larger though. 325/50 15.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
How did you get a 15" wheel to fit the Challenger? Also what brand, backspacing and bolt pattern is it? Looking for wheels and tires also.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
DR's

Mickey Thompson 275/40/17 has a 26.5" diameter 10"tread and width of 11"
Hoosier is 25.6" diameter 9" tread and width is 10"

Both hook once heated up. I'm running the MT's to lower my gears for launch.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and want to buy a drag radial with the size 275/40/17.

I've heard the Mickey's hook maybe the best? Yet, maybe too good and can cause some bog after launch.

Hoosiers I've heard great things, but also that they sometimes don't hook and can be inconsistent depending on track prep/weather conditions.

BFG, I know Jack runs them and Chris has had nice 60' times with them

M/H, Heard good things but can you get them in a 40 aspect size or only 50?

Any other brands?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
tony you don't want a 26 1/2" high tire you want a 28"

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought smaller is better in this case. So your saying go with Hoosier? Please educate me.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Haven't run anything in this size wheel on the challenger yet, but I can tell you the MT drag radials hook very well. I ran them on my GN and pulled 1.44's on them which is as good as my best ever 60' on my slicks. I also run them on the street on the odd occassion. If they make them in the size you want I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

·
Banned
804 Posts
He does with the R/T Auto......it will give him a gearing advantage.....the Hoosier is probably the better tire for traction but it will wear much faster. The Hoosier is also 25.7 ....you will have the equivalent of 3.42 gears and cross the traps at the top of third gear.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He does with the R/T Auto......it will give him a gearing advantage.....the Hoosier is probably the better tire for traction but it will wear much faster. The Hoosier is also 25.7 ....you will have the equivalent of 3.42 gears and cross the traps at the top of third gear.
Well, first of all I have an SRT automatic not an R/T.

I placed my order and after careful consideration and listening to advice here and there. I decided upon 17" Weld rear wheels and Hoosier 275/40/17 DRs. They stand 25.7".

If my mph is low, I don't so much care so long as my 1/4 times are 2 tenths better than what I'm currently pulling.

Josh from HHP told me that my gearing will be like a 3.23 now.

And I can always change tires. The wheels are what was important for me at this point.

:guiness::bigthumb:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Every time I hear Mickey Thompsons name, I thank god my mother never married him.

It's a long story as he attended Alhambra High and my mother was at Mark Keppell. She owned 12 cars in high school. Enough said.

Dino

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Who'd you order from, dbd? Looking forward to hearing how they perform for you.

HemiSam

High Horse Performance (HHP) out of Delaware (no tax). I hope to have 'em on and be running for Saturday and maybe Sunday. :smokin:

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Thanks, dbd.

Anyone know why there's a difference between the SRT8 and R/T Weld wheels? Is it the Brembo brakes?

HemiSam

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, dbd.

Anyone know why there's a difference between the SRT8 and R/T Weld wheels? Is it the Brembo brakes?

HemiSam
Exactly Sam. But I'm not sure if the SRT version will or will not work for the R/T. But I'd imagine it should if your running say the 20" classic wheel.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Weld racing 17X9X115mm wheels

I have a 2010 RT classic with super trac pak (larger sway bar). I order the Weld RT-S S71 17X9X115mm wheels with 6.3 BS. When I tried them on my car they hit the sway bar but cleared the brakes. I talked to Greg at Weld racing and he said these wheels fit a 2010 SRT8. I sent them back a they sent me the same wheel with a 5.8 BS. This time it cleared the sway bar by about 1/32. So back they went to cut down the inside of the outer rim to clear the sway bar. Waiting for the wheel it should clear this time. These are nice wheels weight 22# and cost 483.00. They make the same wheel for the front to put skinnies on. RT's without the STP should have no problem with the wheels. I ordered the wheels a tires from Jim's racing tires in Maryland. I hope this helps.

Thanks, dbd.

HemiSam

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Thanks to both of you, Gents! I'm running beefed up sway bars and I'm lowered so I'd likely need to do some more research before any such investment. Great thread.

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Lowered

What system did you use to lower your car? I want to lower my but it's not for looks. I want a system that will transfer the weight from front to back for drag racing.
Thanks to both of you, Gents! I'm running beefed up sway bars and I'm lowered so I'd likely need to do some more research before any such investment. Great thread.

HemiSam

1 - 20 of 35 Posts