Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this is not the forum to ask for new car buying advice. I am purchasing my first new vehicle (ever -- been driving the same used vehicle for the last 10+ years). I test drove the SXT, R/T and now a R/T Scat and well here I am about to purchase a 2017 Scat.

As a total newbie to new car buying, like anyone, my biggest concern is getting a really bad deal. I can live with a fair deal. I recently found a new 2017 R/T Scat Pack with a MSRP of $48k. This includes package 24G, 8 speed auto, dynamics package, leather interior group, driver convenience group, sunroof, 8.4 inch u-connect and sound group 2. It appears to include most of the optional packages except the technology group (with the forward collision warning, which I did want but suppose I can live without).

The dealer is offering me around $3200 in rebates (mostly mid atlantic rebates). Plus another one or two discounts due to some programs I qualify for. Plus some other behind the scenes deductions I am not privy to. The final purchase price they are offering is $41k, which includes my $1k trade in (which matches blue book value for my old vehicle, can't complain given its condition). Adding in $600 in fees and $2500 in taxes adds another $3k or so, for a final out the door price of $44k.

I see that Truecar lists the average (for the same configuration) at $42.8k, with an expected $6.2k off MSRP. KBB lists the fair market range from $41.7-$43.3, although it's not clear if that includes the exact configuration of this vehicle.

Anyway, Truecar recommends $6.2k off MSRP as the average, with anything around $42k as a "great" deal, and my offer appears to be around $6.9k off MSRP. I assume this number is meant to exclude taxes and other fees.

As someone who is totally new to this, with no other resources I would say hey this offer beats the Truecar price and therefore its a great deal! But then I was researching on this forum and found people posting about walking out the door with a scat pack for 40k all-in, or 41k all-in, or some 39k. How is that possible, or is that possible? Should I try to haggle down further, and under what basis?

Thank you if you have any advice, and sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!

-aGenda

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope this helps...I just bought a 2017 scatpack...All of the upgrades yours has as well as the scatpack appearance group...No trade in...Walked out the door for 45,000...I was quite happy with my purchase...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope this helps...I just bought a 2017 scatpack...All of the upgrades yours has as well as the scatpack appearance group...No trade in...Walked out the door for 45,000...I was quite happy with my purchase...
Good to know :) This one doesn't have the SP appearance group which I would like to have.

Did yours have the technology group with the frontal collision warning? It was interesting that not a single challenger on the lot at this particular dealer had purchased that package, including on the SP I am looking at. Must not be a popular option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No..No technology group....I don't think 44 out the door is a bad price...try 43,000 and go up...But no more than 44,000....What color is it?...

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
That appearance group (SPAG) is nearly 2000 dollars. The three biggest items in this package are the lights, the wheels, and the stripe. But you get the lights with the driver's convenience group, which you have already. Can ya live without the wheels? Even so, I'm thinking this dealership can do better. Here's a thought: make them an offer, say 1500 less: they will probably refuse. But they expect you to do this. I'll bet they will give you a lower price, say maybe 500.00 less???
Then tell them you'll accept the deal if they throw in something, say a stripe package. That gives you another big ticket item that would have come with the SPAG option package. How does that sound?

Gary

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a good deal to me.....here is my buying experience in Missouri......I ordered a Scat Pack with auto only for 40.5 k msrp ....paid 37.5k.....$500 down and 37k for 3 years at 1 percent.......prices were hotter then with no incentives....I could have got a better deal on an off the lot car but they seem to load them up with options I didn't want. I wanted the shaker option in the beginning but it was over 5k extra including tax......so now last month I ordered a new one with auto and shaker option in different color......msrp approx. 45500 msrp.....I paid 40k and got 34k for trade....so I lost 3.5k on my 15 month old car and paid 2.5k for a year new car with shaker package and a color I like a little better. In MO we do pay sales tax of approx. 5.5 percent.....not sure what the 600 dollar fees are on yours? Also I paid cash for this car, since interest rates have increased from 1 percent to 4 percent on a three year loan.....so Dodge incentives in MO are 2750 dollars but interest has gone up.... not sure how that calculates out. You might check out insurance prices also. These aren't cheap cars to own and operate but I love mine. The only other cars I was so excited about was my 68 Camaro and 72 nova which I sold so I could get this CHALLENGER!!!! Research, research, and research...this is a great forum with many helpful people. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That appearance group (SPAG) is nearly 2000 dollars. The three biggest items in this package are the lights, the wheels, and the stripe. But you get the lights with the driver's convenience group, which you have already. Can ya live without the wheels? Even so, I'm thinking this dealership can do better. Here's a thought: make them an offer, say 1500 less: they will probably refuse. But they expect you to do this. I'll bet they will give you a lower price, say maybe 500.00 less???
Then tell them you'll accept the deal if they throw in something, say a stripe package. That gives you another big ticket item that would have come with the SPAG option package. How does that sound?

Gary
Hey thanks for the advice! I think its a great idea to negotiate to somewhere around an additional $500 off the current price and ask them to do something like replace the fuel door w/ a black one and add a bumblebee stripe to match the SPAG options. These are low cost additions but still adds up a couple hundred (I think), and they should be able to do it at the dealer right there if they carry the parts. I can live without the wheels because with the dynamics package I do like the 20"x9.5" black wheels.

I'm not sure about the gloss black grille that comes with the SPAG. I haven't seen one in person and can't find a great photo online that clearly contrasts the current grill with the gloss black grille to see if its something I care about.

I will of course miss the bumblebee on the display by not having the SCAG.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wait to make your final deal until a week from Friday. That will be the last day of the month. Go in in the afternoon and you will likely get the best price as they will want to make their end of the month numbers. Once you get them as low as you think they'll go, tell them to include a free 3 year oil change package (this is really worth something as these engines take synthetic oil and a lot of it). If they say "no", you just say OK and that you need to think about it over the weekend and pack up and walk out the door. You probably won't make it out the door though because they'll want to make the deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Wait to make your final deal until a week from Friday. That will be the last day of the month. Go in in the afternoon and you will likely get the best price as they will want to make their end of the month numbers. Once you get them as low as you think they'll go, tell them to include a free 3 year oil change package (this is really worth something as these engines take synthetic oil and a lot of it). If they say "no", you just say OK and that you need to think about it over the weekend and pack up and walk out the door. You probably won't make it out the door though because they'll want to make the deal. Good luck!
Ha... youdaman Bilz. Great advice. So looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts