Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, if you’re one of the unlucky ones that lives in a state that requires a state inspection can you please chime in and tell me if you’ve had a mid muffler delete and whether or not it affected your inspection. Thanks in advance. B

·
Registered
684 Posts
Mufflers have zero to do with emissions so inspections shouldn't be a problem. The only problem that will come up is the sound will be ruined by ditching the mufflers for straight pipe.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
Some state inspections require mufflers. I'm sure that's why he asked, if even though required, has it been an issue for anyone. It's not about emissions, it's about physical inspection, and it could be noise as well. Any particular state?

A Guy

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some state inspections require mufflers. I'm sure that's why he asked, if even though required, has it been an issue for anyone. It's not about emissions, it's about physical inspection, and it could be noise as well. Any particular state?

A Guy
He'd still have two mufflers if he just cut out the mids.

Cats legally count as mufflers, as do the rear resonators.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He'd still have two mufflers if he just cut out the mids.

Cats legally count as mufflers, as do the rear resonators.
Depends which state he's in and what the law is. In Maryland, which is highly regulated, imo, nothing counts as a muffler but muffler and you have to have one on each pipe, unless you have a 2 into 1 exhaust. They even go as far as having a 55 decibel limit in residential areas, and 64 decibels in commercial areas. Now, I don't know how or how hard this is enforced, and I don't want to know either, but the law is on the books. I know highschoolers with thier customized exhaust's that have been hauled out of town where their school is on rollbacks with inspection stickers hanging off of them. They are experts and changing out cats and mufflers. Most of them can sit upright under their trucks, they're so friggen high. But that's what they do, just take off the mufflers and their exhausts are loud, real loud. Too loud, as far as I'm concerned. If you have the window down when one of them comes by, especially if they have the exhausts that turn out behind the back wheel, you could end up with a busted ear drum, for real. It's happened to me and it ain't nothing pretty.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I am in the People’s Republic of Rhode Island. I have a neighbor with a GT who I think mentioned he had the mid mufflers deleted. I’ll have to catch up with him.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,553 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts