Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any experience with mid muffler delete modifications in Texas? Are they illegal? Do you have any issues passing inspection? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to improve the sound on my 2019 R/T and a mid muff delete is an option I'm considering. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anybody have any experience with mid muffler delete modifications in Texas? Are they illegal? Do you have any issues passing inspection? I'm looking for an inexpensive way to improve the sound on my 2019 R/T and a mid muff delete is an option I'm considering. Thanks for any input
Why not do the dynomax mini race bullets instead? Sounds better imo. But if it’s loud you’re going for do the delete. Not sure about laws in Texas, but doubt it’s illegal. Cats are a different thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not do the dynomax mini race bullets instead? Sounds better imo. But if it’s loud you’re going for do the delete. Not sure about laws in Texas, but doubt it’s illegal. Cats are a different thing.
I had never heard of those before just looking them up. I want some loudness but I don't want it to be ridiculously loud. Looks like the bullets will probably do that. Any idea which model bullets I would need for a 2019 R/T?

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,521 Posts
That info is for the Safety Inspection, not the Emissions Inspection

While safety inspections are required throughout the state...
Looks like the entire state must get the Safety Inspection

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/inspection/inspectionCriteria.aspx

What's Inspected by Vehicle Type
Items of Inspection for a Passenger Car
05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (3) 1986 and newer; (2) if 1960-1985; (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
20. Window Tint.
A Guy

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have the Mini Race Bullets and they sound great IMO. Haven't done mid muff. delete but have read reviews where folks say that route is too raspy sounding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a quick video on the mid-muffler delete a few weeks ago. It's actually not quite as loud as you might think...but it does sound pretty nice.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did a quick video on the mid-muffler delete a few weeks ago. It's actually not quite as loud as you might think...but it does sound pretty nice.

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Mid-Muffler Delete - YouTube
Your car is a 2010, his is a 2019. That's not even remotely the same thing.
Not even remotely the same? They both have the same engine, same exhaust manifolds, have catalytic converters, and are literally the same car. Obviously there are some pretty big differences, but when we're talking about the engine and exhaust, it's very similar. The newer one just has an active exhaust which is kind of like a variable automatic exhaust cutout.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I live in TX. I have the dynomax race bullets installed on my scat challenger & my buddy has the delete with straight pipe installed in place of the factory mufflers on his scat challenger. We both pass the mandatory safety inspection as well as emissions testing since we live in a emission testing county. You will be fine either way...I prefer mine setup & sound and he prefers his setup & sound. (His is just a little too raspy for my liking. But that's just IMO.) So you will be good to go either way👌

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in TX. I have the dynomax race bullets installed on my scat challenger & my buddy has the delete with straight pipe installed in place of the factory mufflers on his scat challenger. We both pass the mandatory safety inspection as well as emissions testing since we live in a emission testing county. You will be fine either way...I prefer mine setup & sound and he prefers his setup & sound. (His is just a little too raspy for my liking. But that's just IMO.) So you will be good to go either way👌
Sounds good man, I think I am going to go with the bullets. 👍

·
Registered
470 Posts
Not even remotely the same? They both have the same engine, same exhaust manifolds, have catalytic converters, and are literally the same car. Obviously there are some pretty big differences, but when we're talking about the engine and exhaust, it's very similar. The newer one just has an active exhaust which is kind of like a variable automatic exhaust cutout.
Again, totally different. This thread is about deleting the mufflers. The 2010 and 2019 mufflers are totally different as are the resonators on both cars. Plus the 2019 has active exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my mid muffler taken off of my 09 R/T I have never ever had a problem ,it is louder but I left the resonators at the rear. I wanted a little noise but I didn't want to sound like everything else in town. Hope that helps you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Mine is an 2018 5.7L. Did mid muffler delete and kept the OEM resonators. it gets too raspy at 4700k rpm and above. Anything below that sounds lovely. Cold starts are very loud if you go to work in the morning hours (neighbors may hate you).

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
19 Participants
Powerstick
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing