Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to mod my mid muffler to get a deeper/dirtier v8 sound but was told, that the x-pipe on my SRT 392 MT8 only looks like an x-pipe from the outside. the two pipes aren't actually connected and no air is being exchanged from one pipe to the other. is that true? a friend took his exhaust down and there obviously is no whole in that X?! I read somewhere, that there should be a small oval hole within the x-pipe..
closing that (welding in a plate) should make it more of a straight-pipe-sounding v8, right?

would the H-pipe of the MT6 fit in that spot instead? and would that sound any better?

last option was really going straight-pipes, but that would be an easy find for the cops. they don't like loud cars in my area and are always out there to find some. one glance under my car and daaangg o_O so a modded x-pipe would be my preferred option.

any experiences and/or advice?
thanks ✌

·
Registered
543 Posts
I can assure you ditching the mufflers won't make the sound deeper by any stretch. Just louder and very raspy. Your car came with a tru x-pipe.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One option is to replace the mid mufflers with something else to change the tone. How it'll affect the sound? I have no idea, each combination is different.

I'm personally a fan of round FlowFX mufflers. They sound quieter but deeper than the vibrant bottle resonators I had on my RT.

EDIT: I guess you could use this as a comparison?... It doesn't have resonators and has the rectangular FlowFX mufflers though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One option is to replace the mid mufflers with something else to change the tone. How it'll affect the sound? I have no idea, each combination is different.

I'm personally a fan of round FlowFX mufflers. They sound quieter but deeper than the vibrant bottle resonators I had on my RT.

EDIT: I guess you could use this as a comparison?... It doesn't have resonators and has the rectangular FlowFX mufflers though.
That sounds actually quite good! I don't like the droning magnaflow and the Borla Atak is only loud, but not good sounding. I did like the flowmaster force II on the -15s..

·
Registered
153 Posts
That sounds actually quite good! I don't like the droning magnaflow and the Borla Atak is only loud, but not good sounding. I did like the flowmaster force II on the -15s..
I suppose you could try swapping the mids to 3" in/out FlowFX ones if you want to change the tone. I'm not sure if it'll work out well though.

If you do like the Force 2, look up some Flowmaster chambered mufflers instead of packed ones like the FlowFX. I think that catback uses Super 44s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts