Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best description of how I feel about my own new T/A Challenger and why I bought it. I really like this car and I'll keep it for awhile to be sure. It really is that final act of futility before what is coming and I can't stop it. It's my middle finger to what comes next.

The future........ we can see it pretty clearly at this point.

Nowhere have I seen a better view than in this video at the 6:25 time mark. We're living through the final days before electric just takes over. Not because it's green or any other tree-hugging, granola crunching, wimpy-ass Hippy argument. It's all about the performance. The 0-60 is just killer fast. Hard to imagine how "performance cars" as we know them today survive this.

https://youtu.be/OFmFr5boXvw

·
Super Moderator
13,847 Posts
Wow, the 840 hp. Demon barely beat out the Tesla. Sad to say, but electric cars will be the new performance cars and gasoline-powered cars will fall into a new category:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I’m betting that forecast is wrong on almost all accounts. First newer generations seem to have little interest in performance when it comes to cars. Second they also show little interest in owning things, especially cars so unique performance cars that appeal to very few will not be very profitable to produce. Third the ability for batteries/power cells to be manufactured and more importantly disposed of, will be a massive hurdle. And fourth, our electric grid isn’t even close to being able to handle even a large chunk of the country recharging electric vehicles. Not to mention Musks experiment in fleecing tax payers and investors is gonna pop at some point. Good luck owning one of those Tesla’s when that happens let alone the repair costs of the thing before it does but the warranty expires.

“Performance vehicles” in general will be a diminishing category in general and so will these Tesla’s.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
These electric cars may be faster, they also will get you to your destination more cost efficiently but they NEVER EVER will be COOL.
I built many cars in the past, there was satisfaction in doing it, it was a learning experience even if something was done wrong and it cost money or set you back.
Technology has its place but I’m getting tired of electronic everything.
Today everything requires a tech, an electronics wizard etc
In the old days the average guy could take apart and rebuild a carb, a Holley double pumper at that.
Today everyone buys things already done and thinks they achieved something.

I go in my garage and see engine stands, engines built and awaiting a place to install them, engine crane, tool boxes as tall as I am and think of the cars I own now and have built in the past and know the best times in the auto industry in respect to performance are BEHIND us for sure if this is where we are going.
There’s far more involved than stomping on a pedal and getting to the end of the track first. I’d rather lose a race in my 70 Skylark GS that I built with a four speed than someone in a hellcat and with an automatic to boot. I’m a car guy, not solely a car brand guy, I have owned many brands.
If I want to drive something as blah and bland as a Tesla I’ll buy minivan, at least it’s practical.

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
I’m betting that forecast is wrong on almost all accounts. First newer generations seem to have little interest in performance when it comes to cars. Second they also show little interest in owning things, especially cars so unique performance cars that appeal to very few will not be very profitable to produce. Third the ability for batteries/power cells to be manufactured and more importantly disposed of, will be a massive hurdle. And fourth, our electric grid isn’t even close to being able to handle even a large chunk of the country recharging electric vehicles. Not to mention Musks experiment in fleecing tax payers and investors is gonna pop at some point. Good luck owning one of those Tesla’s when that happens let alone the repair costs of the thing before it does but the warranty expires.

“Performance vehicles” in general will be a diminishing category in general and so will these Tesla’s.
Tree huggers are the base of why there are hybrids and electric cars. They don’t take into account (many unaware) how bad it is for the environment to make the batteries, let alone how to dispose of them and how much nuclear and fossil fuels needed to provide the electricity to charge them. They also have no clue how many thousands of dollars it costs to buy and replace those batteries when they need it.
Go ask about that at the auto show and see how they try to steer the question away from those around you from having to hear about that. They think shiny paint and not so hot models make up for real information.
One day hopefully the ship gets righted once again.
The green movement is ALL about money, period.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, the 840 hp. Demon barely beat out the Tesla. Sad to say, but electric cars will be the new performance cars and gasoline-powered cars will fall into a new category:

I agree.......and really......did the Demon win?

Not in any reasonable definition of what that means on the Street.

We've watched Hell Cats try hopelessly and fail every-time in the 1/4 mile......just not enough room in that short distance to catch up and pass. Finally an 840HP race gas car just about gets it done by a 1/10th of second.....yet still loses most times they match up.

But still....the Demon can EEK out a competitive sprint in the 1/4 mile.......yet like like the hell cats that try an d fail it's a game of :"catch up" and try to pass before running out of track. The pass doesn't happen at less than 120MPH and most often more along the lines of 130MPH........the 0-60MPH sprint is lost by a measure of CAR LENGTHS not time.

The useful acceleration in the electric car can't be over-stated. It's night vs day FASTER than Gasoline as evidenced by the fastest accelerating gas powered car's immediate deficit in this race match up.

Until you drive one......it's hard to fully appreciate the difference ALL THE TORQUE available ALL THE TIME makes.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
TA392YJ continuing to push the electric agenda, how are those Tesla bucks $$$ doing?

Remind me again how much a Demon MSRPs for and how much a P100D MSRPs for. Oh that's right, it costs nearly twice as much.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AWD vs. RWD
If only it were that simple I wouldn't think this represents a picture of the end for ICE.

Here are couple of thoughts on what you suggest.

1. The demon HOOKS hard on the track with it's slicks.......the race would be even more dismal on street tires and regular pavement. The Tesla would leap to a far larger lead on the street.

2. AWD vs AWD would add a lot of weight to the demon or if you go the other way and make the Tesla RWD only it'd lose weight.......not sure how either solution and a leveling out for traction helps the Demons cause......again it'd only lose even BIGGER in either case.

The story here is all about TORQUE......WAY BIGGER in the Tesla and available at the same PEAK POWER at all motor speeds. The Demon, like all gas engines can't manage this. It's got a power CURVE......pretty flat and strong vs other gas powered cars but woefully inadequate to match the Tesla's initial take off. It explains that GIANT JUMP the electric car gets everytime.....forcing the Demon to try and catch up and pass before running out of room.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TA392YJ continuing to push the electric agenda, how are those Tesla bucks $$$ doing?

Remind me again how much a Demon MSRPs for and how much a P100D MSRPs for. Oh that's right, it costs nearly twice as much.
Not "pushing it" as much as I am just resigned to the fact that it's coming and really pretty quickly too.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Meh, cars running on algae is coming lol but like electric....none of us here will see it totally replace the gasoline combustion engine...

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,698 Posts
It's pure science why the Tesla's win. An electric motor has no torque curve. It's torque is a straight line from start to finish. Now, if you take a car that can hook that torque up, you've got a winning combination. That's why the Tesla wins.

A good running gasoline motor has a torque curve (albeit a flat torque curve, but it's nowhere near as flat as an electric motor) and has to get into that curve to make things move.

I like Teslas and even with some of their problems, are pretty cool cars! Also, like them or not, if you say that they can't perform, then you're just hatin'!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Tesla will be out of business when electric can attract enough market share for bigger players to finally make it worth their time to scale the business.

Also, I'll be well into a dirt nap by then reliving glory days of hemi V8's.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
A large group of people have no access to charge an electric car at home. If they have supercharger (fast) stations, like gas stations to support, then you could see driving across country. But what about going camping in the boonies? Perhaps fuel cells will surpass electric.

A Guy

1 - 20 of 129 Posts