Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I'm going to guess the Demon takes it. As I remember from Car and Driver lightning lap, the Tesla battery pack overheated and went into limp mode before it could complete one lap of VIR.

Glad you mentioned that, I was about to suggest we go the road course... :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I didn’t know we were supposed to give a chit? Lol, gotta go and row some gears now in my 6.4L Challenger M6, She’s way slower than a Demon, and apparently this battery powered p1000,....k, are we supposed to be banging our heads against something in discontent? Is this a millennial thing? Not judging, just curious.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
I don't see why fans of big V8 engines, or small ones, are the least bit concerned about them being completely replaced by battery powered cars.
There's just no way battery powered will take over automobile transportation in the near future. The technology isn't even close to that stage and there's essentially zero infrastructure in place. Think about how long it will take to build that out nationwide! Most of the folks on this forum will not see it in their lifetime.

When thinking of the infrastructure, think about how many people live in condominiums or apartment complexes. Where are they going to charge their car? How many years you think it'll be before all those places have charging stations. Pfffft! Ain't happening.

A point seldom made is that everybody who likes to drive powerful cars isn't in it just to race them. I'm not the only guy who couldn't care less how fast my car can run the 1/4 mile or even from 0-60 mph. I know the performance is there but I don't use it for that.

I don't give a rat's butt how fast a Tesla is. Not even a little bit. I would never buy a car that I couldn't reasonably expect to jump in and it take me to hundreds of miles away! There's many things to like about a car and 1/4 mile racing isn't at the top of most people's list.

·
Premium Member
9,429 Posts
I have as much interest in a demon as I do in a a tesla, if it can’t come in a manual transmission it won’t go in my garage. Like a post above me, I don’t care about 1/4 mile times, unless you have thousands on the line and race the car, what is the gain?

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I don't see why fans of big V8 engines, or small ones, are the least bit concerned about them being completely replaced by battery powered cars.
There's just no way battery powered will take over automobile transportation in the near future. The technology isn't even close to that stage and there's essentially zero infrastructure in place. Think about how long it will take to build that out nationwide! Most of the folks on this forum will not see it in their lifetime.

When thinking of the infrastructure, think about how many people live in condominiums or apartment complexes. Where are they going to charge their car? How many years you think it'll be before all those places have charging stations. Pfffft! Ain't happening.

A point seldom made is that everybody who likes to drive powerful cars isn't in it just to race them. I'm not the only guy who couldn't care less how fast my car can run the 1/4 mile or even from 0-60 mph. I know the performance is there but I don't use it for that.

I don't give a rat's butt how fast a Tesla is. Not even a little bit. I would never buy a car that I couldn't reasonably expect to jump in and it take me to hundreds of miles away! There's many things to like about a car and 1/4 mile racing isn't at the top of most people's list.

This is the umpteenth time TA392YJ has tried to make a case for electric and I've called him out on how unrealistic his expectations are, yet he continues to insist.

He is fake news.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
In 2 weeks I'm making a 14 hour/925 mile trip in my '13 R/T. I'm betting there isn't an all electric car on the planet that can make the trip faster than I can. My refueling time is significantly less than their battery recharging time - if they can find a place to recharge.

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
In 2 weeks I'm making a 14 hour/925 mile trip in my '13 R/T. I'm betting there isn't an all electric car on the planet that can make the trip faster than I can. My refueling time is significantly less than their battery recharging time - if they can find a place to recharge.
But wait! None of that is going to matter if you happen to get beside a Tesla at a red light and it beats your antiquated V8 to the next red light!

>:). >:). >:).

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
There's more to driving than "being fast". If all that mattered was how fast we go, we'd just strap some jet engines to the car and blast-off. These golf-carts masquerading as performance cars will never be anything but a drag-strip side show. Just like the semi with the jet engines. Ooooo! Ahhhh! And that's about it. The overwhelming disadvantages of electric cars has been well vetted. No one-off wicked fast golf-cart is going revolutionize the mode of transportation and kill the ICE. We'll be burning oil (or maybe natural gas or some other fuel source) for generations to come.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I didn’t know we were supposed to give a chit? Lol, gotta go and row some gears now in my 6.4L Challenger M6, She’s way slower than a Demon, and apparently this battery powered p1000,....k, are we supposed to be banging our heads against something in discontent? Is this a millennial thing? Not judging, just curious.
I am unaffected.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I’m betting that forecast is wrong on almost all accounts. First newer generations seem to have little interest in performance when it comes to cars. Second they also show little interest in owning things, especially cars so unique performance cars that appeal to very few will not be very profitable to produce. Third the ability for batteries/power cells to be manufactured and more importantly disposed of, will be a massive hurdle. And fourth, our electric grid isn’t even close to being able to handle even a large chunk of the country recharging electric vehicles. Not to mention Musks experiment in fleecing tax payers and investors is gonna pop at some point. Good luck owning one of those Tesla’s when that happens let alone the repair costs of the thing before it does but the warranty expires.

“Performance vehicles” in general will be a diminishing category in general and so will these Tesla’s.
The car is in its most basic form really hasn't changed much in the last 100 years same thing with flight if you think about it. Yes todays car is way more advanced then a car was in 1905, but in general we are still working off something with 4 wheels and an internal combustion engine. Do I think we will be riding around in a flying delorean, no. But I do think at some point probably in the next 20-30 years we will see some sweeping changes and probably in the next 50 years we will be probably be riding around in something that is radically different. Automated cars are coming, just a matter of when, follow the military closely, they tend to have things first then the civilian market gets it 15-20 years later. The real problem with current cars is the fuel they use, we can debate the amount of oil that is left but the fact remains oil at least at this point is finite resource that we really cant reclaim. So first to go will be the internal combustion engine at least one that is based off of fossil fuels. The only thing that will stop or delay that is if engines can get wildly more efficient then they are now. Which I think vehicles on the average based of tech that's out there can probably should be getting twice what they are now, but that means the auto industry would have to stop taking oil bribes and invest a little in R& D.

We also have to look at pricing structure. People these days are not interested in cars like this, I think a lot of it has to do with pricing. If you look back in the 70s car prices were 2-4k, adjusted for inflation that's around 15-20k in todays world. Problem is muscle cars of today are in the 35-50k range, hardly an affordable car for a young person. Even for an older person, that needs only one car the pricing and the overall logicalness of a sports car that cost 40k just isn't there.

If you had to ask me in 20 years, I think well see be in vehicles that roughly resemble what we have today, but will be automated or semi automated, and probably a different source for propelling these vehicles will either be the norm or be a major stake holder.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Tesla is nothing more than a Ponzi scheme. Tesla will follow the same fate as Elio Motors. Tons of empty promises. It took decades upon decades to build infrastructure for gasoline cars. It will take even longer to build out infrastructure nationwide for electric cars. Our U.S. power grid in the summer still has issues with brown outs. Now you want to tap thousands of superchargers on to that grid? Plllease LOL! No way. Ain't happening. Fossil fueled cars will remain dominant for years to come....at least in the U.S. anyway.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Am I the only one who watched the video and saw how much quicker and faster the much-cheaper Demon was??? Spot the Tesla driver 4 tenths on the light and yeah you are going to lose! The Demon is capable of much quicker times too than what that driver got...

This is in ABQ at 5300 feet in elevation where the Tesla's advantage is even greater, and here's what happens when they roll out even:

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Am I the only one who watched the video and saw how much quicker and faster the much-cheaper Demon was??? Spot the Tesla driver 4 tenths on the light and yeah you are going to lose! The Demon is capable of much quicker times too than what that driver got...

This is in ABQ at 5300 feet in elevation where the Tesla's advantage is even greater, and here's what happens when they roll out even:

Tesla P100D Ludicrous gets smoked by 900 Horsepower Hellcat (Hellcat ran 10.3) - YouTube
Not saying I disagree but its really not a good gauge to use performance or drag cars for what the whole market might look like or want. The sports car market for the most part is very small, F150 sells more trucks in one month than challenger sells all year. While the performance car market is valuable in its own right, I don't really see it being a driving force behind change or a lack of change. performance cars have died off in the past and came back, and well probably see it again some day. I would venture to say between costs, practicability, and other factors that at some point we may see them gone forever.

·
Registered
576 Posts
On the street where the traction is an issue for the Demon the Tesla in ludicrous mode has the advantage, on the strip a driver who knows how to launch the Denon will win. They are allready showing up at the drag strip in the wild stock running high 9s and one modified Demon ran a 9.36...

Straight line accelaration 0-60 is not the only measure of performance and I can tell you that above 20-40 a Hellcat or Demon will take a Tesla and especially after 60+. My Hellcat Widebody will destroy a Tesla on a road course 1/2 Mile or above and top speed. My 2017 Z06 will literally drive circles around the Tesla. And the Hellcat and Z06 will sound and look a lot cooler and be a lot more fun in the process.

The overall driving experience is more important to me as a enthusiast and the one trick pony Tesla is a soulless boring car that lacks any true cornering or braking performance. The Tesla also dies after a couple of back to back passes or extended performance driving as the batteries and motor overheat.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Demons in the 9s

Video of a stock Demon running 9s...

Later he ran some lower 9.8s and is still learning the car...

Video of a Demon with a pulley, injectors and a tune running a 9.3...

He is working to get down in the high 8s...

Reactions: 11srt8

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
But wait! None of that is going to matter if you happen to get beside a Tesla at a red light and it beats your antiquated V8 to the next red light!

>:). >:). >:).
And that only matters if I lose a bet which won't happen because my dad taught me to only bet on sure things in which case you're not betting - you're investing.:grin2:

21 - 40 of 129 Posts