Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was delivered yesterday and when I checked the trunk I found this in there with the bolts. I don't want to be that guy but I might have to put it back on.

Turns out there is about 1mm of clearance coming in and out of my driveway and you have to find it just right otherwise the spoiler rubs.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

The angle at which I turn into my driveway causes the left rear wheel to come off the ground and spin freely as I'm pulling it. I'll post a picture of that later. :mad:

·
Registered
503 Posts
id fix the driveway long before i drove around with a clown colored chin guard on my car... those yellow guards also damage the air dam finish after a period of time.

if you really need to protect the air dam zl1 makes a kit that blends in with the car to help keep the damage to a minimum. i have it on my car just as insurance but so far i have not hit anything with it.

Challenger 18-21 Widebody Splitter Guards – ZL1 Addons

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no fixing the driveway. The street is crowned and the driveway is up hill.... it creates a depression that the water runs off to the storm drain

·
Registered
615 Posts
id fix the driveway long before i drove around with a clown colored chin guard on my car... those yellow guards also damage the air dam finish after a period of time.

if you really need to protect the air dam zl1 makes a kit that blends in with the car to help keep the damage to a minimum. i have it on my car just as insurance but so far i have not hit anything with it.

Challenger 18-21 Widebody Splitter Guards – ZL1 Addons
I almost ordered one of these but then decided if my splitter ended up shangad one day I would just get a new one. They’re not that expensive. Although if it were a near daily thing like your driveway I would definitely get it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There is no fixing the driveway. The street is crowned and the driveway is up hill.... it creates a depression that the water runs off to the storm drain
i will say id love to see the pics of turning in with the tire in the air?

still not a fan of the clown guard. but thats just me

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you must reinstall, an $8 can of black paint would probably do wonders as a stopgap measure...

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had a similar situation with a section where my tractor needed to go - the ass would drag.
VDOT said I could have a footbridge - so I have 2 - heavy enough and placed just so.
I would imagine a 2 x 12 slab would be easy enough to hit, but not too much drag in the water stream.

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
The banana peel will rub more as it removes any gap you have now no matter how slight it is.
A scraped up protector will look far worse than a splitter will. My friend had to buy a new splitter after he finally removed his and saw all the scuffs it did to the upper side of the splitter.

I found this and Race Ramp also offers products for you situation.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Yellow Jacket is right. They will rub and leave marks if left on. They are for temporary purposes only. Shipping the car and backing off the delivery truck. Throw them in the garbage after they served their purpose.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
every time i see one of those I think the piece they are protecting isn't even really expensive... plus if you want to run it at least plasti dip it black

·
Registered
2021 Scat Pack Widebody
96 Posts
Are you able to back into your driveway? I always back in whenever I need the clearance cause the rear of the car has much higher ground clearance than the front

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
896 Posts
I have he same issue with the crown of the road. It just happens to be a steeper slope in front of my house than the rest of the street.

My solution was to pour concrete in the gutter with a 2" channel for the water to run through it so I'm not blocking the flow of water. The garage is on the back side of our house so I leave the driveway front end first. I still have to "walk" the car out one wheel at a time. But as long as I hit my angles just right; I don't drag.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger SP WB - Hellraisin, A8, Plus Pckg, Tech Grp, Driver Conv, Alpine, Sunroof, Spoiler
241 Posts
fair but please don't put the guards on lol. Look at the ZL1 add ons suggested above. Otherwise, if you get a little scrape a butane torch smooths them out nicely, just be slow and careful.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Have you looked into doing something like this? The material is just like the rubber pellets (shredded tires) used on playgrounds and football fields. You can lay a piece of PVC pipe before building up the ramp so that water has a place to drain through it. I actually molded these into wheel ramps so I could drive into the garage

You can even make them portable in case your HOA doesn't like the look. Just pick them up whenever you're not using them. I'd rather do that than drive around with the splitter guards which you'll just damage anyway

Do It Yourself Curb Ramp

·
Premium Member
10,427 Posts
Or make the town repair it so you are not inconvenienced. Engineers can correct it and it’s their priority so make them fix it.

Reactions: Golfnut

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Turns out there is about 1mm of clearance coming in and out of my driveway and you have to find it just right otherwise the spoiler rubs.

The angle at which I turn into my driveway causes the left rear wheel to come off the ground and spin freely as I'm pulling it. I'll post a picture of that later. :mad:
Oh, I got to see this.........

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, I got to see this.........
Here is a video of it. I have gone as far to the right as I can without going on the grass.

The downhill of the driveway meeting the crown of the road is just too steep.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts