·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not sure what’s wrong

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
The EVAP system has a problem, and it probably won’t be easily identified unless it’s a simple missed connection on a hose when installing the s/c.

I’m not intimately familiar with the specifics of the EVAP system on these cars, and that’s saying something since I’ve experienced (and fixed) most all of the common breakages these cars tend to have.

Diagnosing issues with a car’s EVAP usually requires some specialized tools that your average DIY shade tree won’t have, e.g. a machine to inject smoke into the system so leaky hoses and connections can be visually identified.

Your best bet is to take the car to a reputable automotive repair place and have them diagnose the problem, if not outright fix it as well. That will be the quickest way to get it resolved, though maybe not the most convenient.

The car will run “fine” while it’s having this issue, but I would advise against driving it more than necessary while the Check Engine Light is illuminated like this.

As long as that light is on, the PCM will not go into closed loop mode to mix the air and fuel, falling back on pre-configured sets of values which will be inefficient for the engine and (eventually) damaging to the catalysts in the exhaust system.

Bite the bullet and punt this one. You’ll end up better in the long run IMHO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts