Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been noticing that I get right about 20 mpg on the highway. Mine is a 2010 R/T 6-speed, "unknown" mods (might have a tune, don't know), 3.92's, a K&N drop-in filter (had a Mopar CAI before I got it but the dealer pulled it to smog it - which is why I think it might have a tune), and currently has a Magnaflow Competition series cat-back. No other mods that would affect mileage. Traffic around here on the freeway flows at 75-80, so I'm wondering if it's just the higher speeds or maybe I need plugs/have another problem/etc. Car has 46K miles.

Any (helpful) ideas?

·
Registered
2011 392 SRT, 2010 R/T Classic, 2019 R/T Plus, 2016 SXT Plus
408 Posts
I have a 2010 R/T Classic Auto with a Magnaflow Competition, CAI, 93 CAI tune, and get similar.

I think my 2011 392 gets better gas mileage because it doesn't have to work as hard.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Try cruising at 70mph with the cruise on.

It's the higher speeds.
I read before that every 5mph over 55 you get about 10% worse MPG.
So driving at 80mph you get about 25% worse MPG.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
So, I've been noticing that I get right about 20 mpg on the highway. Mine is a 2010 R/T 6-speed, "unknown" mods (might have a tune, don't know), 3.92's, a K&N drop-in filter (had a Mopar CAI before I got it but the dealer pulled it to smog it - which is why I think it might have a tune), and currently has a Magnaflow Competition series cat-back. No other mods that would affect mileage. Traffic around here on the freeway flows at 75-80, so I'm wondering if it's just the higher speeds or maybe I need plugs/have another problem/etc. Car has 46K miles.

Any (helpful) ideas?
My 2012 R/T 6m gets about 24 combined with a custom hemifever tune and Blastin' Bobs Magnaflow axle back exhaust, no other performance mods. I think that's pretty good for a hi-performance V8, besides, I didn't buy a Challenger for it's fuel economy, did you? >:)

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2012 R/T 6m gets about 24 combined with a custom hemifever tune and Blastin' Bobs Magnaflow axle back exhaust, no other performance mods. I think that's pretty good for a hi-performance V8, besides, I didn't buy a Challenger for it's fuel economy, did you? >:)
Nope, not for the mileage, but to be 5 mpg off of what its' supposed to get tells me something is wrong - either my speed or a problem with the car. I've been using the cruise, so I'll try altering the speed - if I can just avoid being run over by these insane Kali drivers.

·
Registered
724 Posts

Any (helpful) ideas?
My 07 srt8 jeep only mods were cai and cmr dyno tune and it passed ca smog here in so ca. The 3.92 are a bear at freeway speed lol.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
I would look in the manual. I think 2010 5.7's have a spark plug change every 30000 miles. Any codes?

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would look in the manual. I think 2010 5.7's have a spark plug change every 30000 miles. Any codes?
No codes. I bought it used, so I don't know the service history - or at least very little of it. I'll dig into that more. Yes, 30K is the plug interval.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Nope, not for the mileage, but to be 5 mpg off of what its' supposed to get tells me something is wrong - either my speed or a problem with the car. I've been using the cruise, so I'll try altering the speed - if I can just avoid being run over by these insane Kali drivers.
I was just messing with you, so many things can effect mileage. I hope you can figure out what's going on. I know what you mean re the insane Kali drivers, I lived out there for 8yrs (84-92) and was quite happy to escape.

Paul

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just messing with you, so many things can effect mileage. I hope you can figure out what's going on. I know what you mean re the insane Kali drivers, I lived out there for 8yrs (84-92) and was quite happy to escape.

Paul
I knew what you meant :wink3:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,961 Posts
I know what you mean re the insane Kali drivers, I lived out there for 8yrs (84-92) and was quite happy to escape.

Paul
Oh, it's gotten much better since then :surprise:

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker and 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,882 Posts
No codes. I bought it used, so I don't know the service history - or at least very little of it. I'll dig into that more. Yes, 30K is the plug interval.
Since you bought it used and don't know it's history it might have had a tune done to it via predator or diablo, I did one on a 2010 Classic I use to own, I turned off the MDS (which consumed more fuel), changed the fuel to 91 Octane and something else I can't remember. I traded it in hat way but there was no way the dealership was gonna tell the next person what I did to it.

·
Premium Member
3,196 Posts
Something definitely wrong with it. My 2010 R/T 6 speed with 3.73 gears got 28-29 mpg @ 80mph, My 2012 and 2014 R/Ts 6 speed with 3.92 gear got 27 mpg @ 80mph.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Something definitely wrong with it. My 2010 R/T 6 speed with 3.73 gears got 28-29 mpg @ 80mph, My 2012 and 2014 R/Ts 6 speed with 3.92 gear got 27 mpg @ 80mph.
With the Flowmaster Force II kit on it I think I picked up some of it. I think I'm gonna do plugs this weekend just so I know the status of them.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, yesterday I drove up to Reno and came back today. I tanked up(with premium) just short of Fairfield, drove up to Reno doing 75-80, did a little city driving in Reno - maybe 25 miles or so - then made it to Auburn where I filled up. 335 miles, 15.25 gallons, 22 mpg. Not sure if it should matter but it's been 95-100+ degrees here as well. I'm starting to wonder if the cats may be plugged or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts