Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the low fuel light lights up, the EVIC display that normally shows how many miles until you're out of gas shows "low fuel" instead of the number of miles.
This is probably the most important time to be able to know if I have 10 miles or 50 miles left.
Is there a button that can be pushed that will toggle the display back to showing the miles remaining?

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Nope, when it says "low fuel" instead of the number of miles it's telling you that now is the time to fill up. :)

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger RT Classic
4,364 Posts
You should NEVER let the tank get that low. WHen you do that there is a possibility that very small particles on the bottom of the tank will get into the fuel filter.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
You should NEVER let the tank get that low. WHen you do that there is a possibility that very small particles on the bottom of the tank will get into the fuel filter.
The fuel is always pulled from the bottom of the tank regardless of fuel level, that's not a concern.

The concern some folks have is that running low can cause the fuel pump to run hot/overheat and fail prematurely, however I don't recall seeing any complaints of fuel pump failures for our cars.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
I've always ignored the low fuel light. After all, when the fuel gauge is on "E", it clearly means Enough! :slap:

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
I've never seen my low fuel warning. There has to be at least 2-3 gallons at that point.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,557 Posts
The light comes on once the miles remaining hits 30. That said I've gone about 18 miles one time before stopping. My GF ignored the light once...a bell started dinging and she wisely stopped!!

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
The reason it says Low Fuel, is because it has no idea what your future plans are for punching down in the last few gallons. If you drive it mellow, you might get 40. If you hammer it, you'll be on the side of the road before you know it. Make sense?

Even the Miles til Empty message is just a guess. It's based on your recent driving habits. If you have been recently doing city driving, punching it, well it will be around 275 miles. If you have been doing highway driving, it'll be around 345, which is what I see. That all goes out the window if you switch from one driving scenario to the other.

Reactions: Yellow Jacket 2012

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,054 Posts
I always try and keep the tank above the 1/2 mark, but I had to try and see what mine would do................after the light comes on.

I made it 40 miles of highway driving, back to my little town, and made it to the station.

Put in 19.2 gallons! Yikes.................I was close to "walking it", but now I know. LOL

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yeah definitely not good on the fuel pump if you're running it to the low fuel light. Maybe a few times but a good rule of thumb is to fill up at the 1/4 mark.

·
Premium Member
10,421 Posts
I always try and keep the tank above the 1/2 mark, but I had to try and see what mine would do................after the light comes on.

I made it 40 miles of highway driving, back to my little town, and made it to the station.

Put in 19.2 gallons! Yikes.................I was close to "walking it", but now I know. LOL
My 2012 owners manual states the car has a fuel capacity of 19 gallons.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,069 Posts
Okay, you got me. If the fuel pump is pumping fuel, how is it being damaged by running the tank low? I understand if there are intermittent moments where it may be fuel starved, but if this was the case, wouldn't the engine not perform 100%? I would think you'd feel a hiccup, or CEL, or something. I've run on vapors on many a car and never had one inkling of there being a problem, nor have I ever had a problem.
How much of this is myth and how much is folklore? I've heard this argument forever and I have to wonder whether or not everyone just repeats the same mantra over and over.
If you don't drive many miles and run the tank low all of the time, then I can see more of an issue with condensation, but if you burn through a full tank to the low fuel light in less than a week, I don't see a problem. I've done this with virtually EVERY car I've owned, and I've never had any engine or fuel related issues with them.
You can do whatever makes you feel safe and in control, but IMO, it's just paranoia and a waste of time to run to the gas station with half a tank of gas to top it up. In reality, overfilling the tank is probably the worst thing you can do.

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
Okay, you got me. If the fuel pump is pumping fuel, how is it being damaged by running the tank low? I understand if there are intermittent moments where it may be fuel starved, but if this was the case, wouldn't the engine not perform 100%? I would think you'd feel a hiccup, or CEL, or something. I've run on vapors on many a car and never had one inkling of there being a problem, nor have I ever had a problem.
How much of this is myth and how much is folklore? I've heard this argument forever and I have to wonder whether or not everyone just repeats the same mantra over and over.
If you don't drive many miles and run the tank low all of the time, then I can see more of an issue with condensation, but if you burn through a full tank to the low fuel light in less than a week, I don't see a problem. I've done this with virtually EVERY car I've owned, and I've never had any engine or fuel related issues with them.
You can do whatever makes you feel safe and in control, but IMO, it's just paranoia and a waste of time to run to the gas station with half a tank of gas to top it up. In reality, overfilling the tank is probably the worst thing you can do.
The argument against running low is based on folks insisting that the fuel pump will overheat if run while not submerged in fuel and will also be overworked because it has to work harder to pull fuel up when the fuel level is below the pump.

I've seen people make those claims various places across the Internet but haven't seen any actual proof or evidence that fuel pumps are failing prematurely as a result.

The fuel runs THROUGH the pump and this will cool it, it doesn't need to be submerged to be cooled, IMO.

Never had a fuel pump fail in any of my vehicles, a number of which were pushing 200,000 miles... :)

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Why even do it though? Why even try to starve the fuel pump of fuel and risk it? I think it's silly to run it all the way down when you don't have to. I'll stick to my statement of 1/4 of a tank to re fuel...

·
Premium Member
6,488 Posts
I usually fill up when the light comes on because I don't want to stress about where the next gas station might be. :D

Reactions: PaVaSteeler

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Why even do it though? Why even try to starve the fuel pump of fuel and risk it? I think it's silly to run it all the way down when you don't have to. I'll stick to my statement of 1/4 of a tank to re fuel...

I'm with ya. All my cars, if I'm not planing a road trip, 1/4 tank, then fill up.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I don't worry about the low fuel alarm - I fill at the 1/4-full mark, sooner if I know I'm going to be traveling in an area where there are few fuel stops. Nothing more foolish than running out of fuel when you could have avoided it.

Fortunately, cars are easy to restart when they've been run out of fuel. Heavy trucks with the same condition can be a major pain in the ass. Various steps have to be performed, e.g. remove filter, prime the filter with fresh fuel a few times, sometimes give the air system a blast of ether, etc, etc, and that's usually enough. If the service truck doesn't bring enough emergency fuel, you may end up getting towed. It can end up being a $250-500 bill for a moment of stupidity.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,054 Posts
I guess for me, I like to know every little "thing" about my cars. While I never run low intentionally, I want to know the "what if" answer on mine.

At some point, for some unforeseen reason, if I had to run it low to get somewhere "now", I just wanted to know what to expect.

No guessing involved now, and others Challengers may have different results. But I know that when my light goes on, I'm 40 miles away from walking.

I found out, I lucked out, and I know what it can do, if needed.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The low fuel light and chime indicates 1/8 tank of fuel remains (2.375 gallons). As correctly stated above, the "low fuel" message will remain displayed in the EVIC MPG calculator until fuel is added. Whatever your average fuel consumption is for your current driving condition, multiply it by 2.375 and that's your miles until empty.

There's no danger running the level low, just avoid running the tank dry. The pump uses fuel to lubricate and cool itself. If the pump is insufficiently cooled, the 20 amp mini-fuse will blow before the pump poses any thermal danger. The pump contains an integrated reservoir, ensuring the pump remains submerged all the way until complete fuel exhaustion. A full tank of fuel will provide better cooling than a near empty tank, however this is only a real concern (with respect to fuel pump life) if the tank is always operated in a low state, as the pump will heat the fuel faster and reduce cooling of the pump. The pump also has an attached strainer to prevent particle ingestion. If the strainer becomes clogged, the pump will overheat and shut down or fail. Utilizing the integrated reservoir and strainer, particle ingestion is virtually impossible...enough so Chrysler stopped installing fuel filters in their vehicles several years ago.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts