Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Well...that's a very subjective question. SE/SXT, R/T, SRT8? Weekend cruiser or weekend warrior? Daily driver? Flat, straight mid-western roads or windy mountainous roads? OEM Goodyear tires, OEM Firestone or aftermarket? ;)

I had 3/32 left on my factory Firestone Firehawk GT tires when I replaced them at about 20k miles and that included a track day towards the very end. I got a little over 8,000 miles with a set of Nitto NT05 and that included like 3 track days. I haven't put many miles on my 3rd set (Michelin Pilot Super Sport), so I'm not sure how many miles I'll get. If I get 15k out of them then I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,405 Posts
I got 31k out of both sets of Goodyear RSA's. The current Nitto Motivo's just hit 5k and hopefully go 40k plus.

·
Registered
932 Posts
IF you have the Eagle F1 tires, don't expect a lot of treadlife. A co-worker with an R/T has around 20k on his, and they're looking really bald at the edges- probably wouldn't pass another safety inspection. Mine got so squirrelly in the rain that I replaced them before 15,000, even though they had tread left. The problem was that there are shallow sipes at the outside of the tread that wear down first and it forms a solid bar that makes them hydroplane like nuts! I hated them anyway. For replacements went with BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp 2's and they're way better. The only downside is a little bit more tire noise below 40 mph, but in every other way they're vastly better than the Goodyear F1s. There's still a noticeable loss of traction when the temperature drops near freezing (even dry), but that's just part of the deal with high-performance tires that don't totally break the bank. They also seem to be wearing better than the F1s, although I still have under 10k miles on them.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
About 12,000 out of my f1's but about 120 1/4 mile runs and several auto crosses. They were pretty darn worn out.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,020 Posts
And about 20,000 out of my Pirelli scorpion snow and ice winter tires.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I ran my F1's legally bald at 17,000 miles, to take it a step further, almost truly bald, about 60% was bald.

I have motivos and at 13,000 miles on them, they are about half worn so another ~13,000 miles and I'll take them in. Nitto warrants the Motivos for 60k so they will wear out at about half that, should cost me ~$500 for a new set when they come due.

I am in AZ though and we go through tires out here like no ones business. The pavement just gets so incredibly hot that it doesn't help matters much at all.

All of this is with 0 track days and just aggressive driving about 30% of the time.

·
Super Moderator
16,633 Posts
There's going to be a few factors

>type of driving (city vs. longer highway)
>casual or more 'active' driver
>model of tire (Michelins / GY RSA / GY F1s / Firestones)

The softer compound F1s are going to be shorter lives.

The all-season 18" Michelins - 24k, and I corner fast(er) with the modded suspension. I would notice with 'normal' driving the rears would slip a bit on taking off driving on summer days when the windows were open.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
out of the three sets, which do you like most and least, and why?
As of today, here are the pros and cons I found with each...

* Firestone Firehawk GT - Decent wear, worst all-around grip than the others but not surprised since it's an all-season

* Nitto NT-05 - Stick like glue once warmed up, no problems in the rain. Wear quickly but at about $200/ea for 255/45R20 they're great value for the performance. Not recommend for use in temps < 40F. Didn't feather when used at track days (Friend of mine ran BFG COMP 2 at the same track, HORRIBLE feathering by the end of the day and the tires howled/whistled as a result)

* Michelin Pilot Super Sport - Stick like glue when warm, great in the rain, no feathering due to track use, 30k mile treadlife warranty, wear seems to be very good so far but I only have a couple thousand miles or so on them now. Also not recommended for use in temps < 40F. $252/ea for 255/45R20 is an awesome price for a set of Michelin's top performers.

As of now I'll likely go with the Michelins again when the time comes. I really liked the Nittos as well, but the Michelin handle/grip great and should last longer without being much more than the Nittos.

Reactions: JohnnyB01

·
Registered
2014 Shaker
137 Posts
What do the daily drivers use? I'm in Texas and not recommended <40 would be a problem here a few months out of the year. I'm running my F1s for now, but plan to change before winter.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have motivos and at 13,000 miles on them, they are about half worn so another ~13,000 miles and I'll take them in. Nitto warrants the Motivos for 60k so they will wear out at about half that, should cost me ~$500 for a new set when they come due.
Let me know how that plan works out for ya!!!! I don't see them giving much of a discount as they don't cover for abuse. I have about 12K on my Motivos and they look almost new, I've rotated them twice so far.

·
Registered
932 Posts
What do the daily drivers use? I'm in Texas and not recommended <40 would be a problem here a few months out of the year. I'm running my F1s for now, but plan to change before winter.
I like the BFG G-force Sport Comp2s I've got. Yes, they do have a bit of a whine below about 45 mph. Not offensive to me, but if you're going for super-quiet they aren't the tire. They are just as quiet as F1s at highway speed, and FAR better in the rain. The F1s were outright dangerous in the rainonce the shallow sipes wore down, and the BFG doesn't have shallow sipes that will give up so much before the rest of the tire. You really notice the traction fall-off as the temp drops below 40, but I never felt unsafe with them last winter like I did with the F1s. Just gotta be aware of what happens. Seem to be wearing slower than the F1s did, also. I have no doubt that the Michelin Pilots are better (after all, its the same company that makes both), but the G-force is a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I've about burned through my Michelinilot super sports.. Great tire.. But didn't last as long as I had hoped... I have 3/32nds left so i will squeak out maybe a few more miles.. But after 16,000 highway miles without burn outs , track days or anything unusual .. Tire rotated as manf recommended , good balance, air pressure religiously maintained and an alignment done when they were installed, I can say I'm a bit surprised I didn't get more mileage out of them....

Your mileage may vary..

Just got the Michelin pilot A/S 3 for the other SRT8 and they transformed the car.. Much quiter and smoother riding than the pilot super sports.. Just a fraction less performance note in tire rack testing and a 500 tread wear 45,000 mile rated tire... These will replace the pilot super sports on the challenger

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I've about burned through my Michelinilot super sports.. Great tire.. But didn't last as long as I had hoped... I have 3/32nds left so i will squeak out maybe a few more miles.. But after 16,000 highway miles without burn outs , track days or anything unusual .. Tire rotated as manf recommended , good balance, air pressure religiously maintained and an alignment done when they were installed, I can say I'm a bit surprised I didn't get more mileage out of them....

Your mileage may vary..

Just got the Michelin pilot A/S 3 for the other SRT8 and they transformed the car.. Much quiter and smoother riding than the pilot super sports.. Just a fraction less performance note in tire rack testing and a 500 tread wear 45,000 mile rated tire... These will replace the pilot super sports on the challenger
16,000 miles is double what I got out of the Nitto NT05 and what I hope to get out of these PSS even with some track days, we'll see! Heard good things about the A/S 3 as well. I've been happy with every single Michelin tire I've had over the years on various vehicles, the only reason I've gone with other tires is due to cost, especially on the RV. The wife's Pilot came with Michelins from the factory, pushing 32k miles on them and they still have a bit of tread left. Will likely replace with another set of Michelins.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
It's so hard to remember since I've been through so many sets..

Trying to pull from memory here.. The RSA's were toast at 14K miles and that's when
I went with my first set (4) of Hankook EVO 12's. I've run 3 sets of those, averaging
about 7K miles per set. I just ordered a set of four Nitto 420s that will be going on
this weekend. I'm at 35K miles right now.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
You go Brett!

I thought I was rough on the hankook evo's, I got a little over 9000 miles. No rotations other than burn outs! They had tread but got really hard and couldn't get traction below 60 degrees air temp.

Just put comp 2's on with 275/40's in the rear....so far so good. 1000 miles already

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Eagle F1s on my 392 lasted only 11,000 miles. I found that the car drove better if you let some of the the smoke out of the tires.:)

My biggest issue though has been the front left, taking hard turns off of the Autobahn every day kills that tire a lot quicker then the others, and not being able to rotate them really hurt. Oddly enough the tires finally were retired when my dealership rotated the fronts only, reversing the rotation. After about a week of driving the tread was starting to separate from the tire. There wasn't much tread left, I already had replacements, and my dealer is really good so I didn't presss the issue. It appears that the F1s don't like being rotated after being worn in... Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
My Eagle F1's lasted 30K miles, and I hated them. First set of Firestone Firehawks was good for 50K, and the second set was slightly better than 40K - but I had some front end misalignment that lessened the life of those. I'm on my third set now. I typically rotate every 5K-10K depending on wear.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts