Dodge Challenger Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Why are you waiting till Tuesday?

State Farm won't care, you picked the shop.

Its a catch 22, use their shop for crappy work, pick your own shop for crappy work, neither leaves you much remedy. You should not have taken the car to begin with. but that doesn't help now.

This is exactly why cars tagged with accident history take a beating. Stupid little stuff not completed by incompetent people. There probably isn't $2k worth of stuff for that repair, they get discounts don't cha know, lol.

Decent people get taken all the time. So sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Knock on wood I never have an incident, I would have no idea where to go anymore.

PS, white is the hardest color in the world to match, blacks the easiest. They have to blend the paint onto other panels to have any hopes of you accepting the repair.

Who gets discounts?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
It doesn't look like it, but did the wheels get hit at all?
Correct - there was no damage to the wheels or suspension or anything like that. Just cosmetic damage to the very front part of the car.

I can't stress enough how little "forward" impact there was. 95% of the damage is from the car I hit "brushing" across the very front of my car, ripping the plastic apart. The actual "forward momentum" impact between my car and theirs was extremely little - as were the speeds involved. I made sure to test the car at high speeds after the repairs and it's as smooth and straight as always (I tend to noice *every* little thing in terms of vibrations, pulling to one side, etc). Even before the repairs were done, there were no drivability-related issues - other than the bumper-cover plastic almost dragging on the ground. :)

During my inspection, I actually removed the pieces of plastic above the headlights (that have the little cupholder indentions in them) and inspected everything under there as well. Everything looks good there. I inspected the car *really* well (probably 45-60 minutes worth) after getting it home, which is how I identified all of the issues I did. I think I'll actually do some poking around with an illuminated boroscope today as well. I want to make sure I identify *all* issues before I go back on Tuesday. I knew that I would have *never* noticed all of these issues during my initial "inspection" when I picked the car up at the body shop, which is why I wanted to wait until I got it home and did a GOOD inspection before complaining about anything. Otherwise, I would have left the car there and then found more issues when I got it back and got it home. I didn't want to have to go back more than once...

Somewhat-related question... Does anyone know what these little black plastic "squares" are/were for? They weren't "connected" to anything else (not even the black plastic trim right in fromt of them) and almost seem likey they were just very thin pieces of square'ish plastic that were glued on or something? I've noticed that a lot Challengers don't even have them (and I no longer have them after the repairs). Just curious what their purpose is/was...

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,530 Posts
I had those little covers on my car before I painted everything under hood. It seems to be hit or miss people have them. It's painted under them, and they are just "stickers" so no idea what their specific purpose might be. No issue with them being gone I can see

A Guy

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Sometimes it means nothing. I took my car to a vinyl shop once with glowing reviews. They never finished the job and scratched the shit out of my paint, never got my money back.
Damn, I remember that. The car was a dark blue if I remember correctly and even under the weather stripping on the top of the doors was scratched. Do you still have that car or did you trade it in? That story was exactly why I had my hood scuffed and painted instead of wrapped.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Damn, I remember that. The car was a dark blue if I remember correctly and even under the weather stripping on the top of the doors was scratched. Do you still have that car or did you trade it in? That story was exactly why I had my hood scuffed and painted instead of wrapped.

Yep, still got it.

Although I got a new door after the old lady rammed my passenger side, so now only one door is scratched up, lol.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Somewhat-related question... Does anyone know what these little black plastic "squares" are/were for? They weren't "connected" to anything else (not even the black plastic trim right in fromt of them) and almost seem likey they were just very thin pieces of square'ish plastic that were glued on or something? I've noticed that a lot Challengers don't even have them (and I no longer have them after the repairs). Just curious what their purpose is/was...

Thanks.
Hmm my R/T does not have those but the red paint where those would go has "bubbles" in it. Would be kinda cool to covet them with something like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks.
I asked the very same question on another Challenger forum and no one there knew what purpose they served, either. They appear to be simple, textured stickers that get applied to most, but not all Challengers. I don't know how or why they could be omitted from the assembly line, but they sometimes do. In fact, if you go to the Dodge website, you will see some of their own marketing photos show cars with them and others without!

The reason I asked about them was because I was considering buying a Challenger that had been involved in an accident and the stickers were missing. My first thought was they were applied after some other assembly was performed at the factory, but hadn't been reapplied following the body work. I guess we'd have to ask a factory worker what the stickers are for to be sure.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hmm my R/T does not have those but the red paint where those would go has "bubbles" in it. Would be kinda cool to covet them with something like that.
Regarding the "bubbles" in the paint where those black plastic squares are/were/might be, I noticed that there is a hole in the metal in those little squares - and the hole seems to be filled in on one side - just wondering if that filled-in-hole is what you meant by "bubbles". I'll have to take a picture to show what I mean. Can you post pictures of what you mean?

As has been stated in the recent posts in this thread, the "cover" piece is just a very thin flexible piece of black plastic that is glued on - so you could easily make them yourself (I haven't seen them listed as being for sale as an OEM part anywhere). The ones that were on my car had a minor texture on them (kind of like the texture on the rocker cladding pieces, but not quite as much texture from what I remember).

I can't think of any reason why the black pieces are needed. I'm wondering if it's just related to the manufacturing/assembly process. Maybe they are there to protect the paint from one of the machines that assemble the car or something like that - only somewhat-plausible reason I can think of.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Regarding the "bubbles" in the paint where those black plastic squares are/were/might be, I noticed that there is a hole in the metal in those little squares - and the hole seems to be filled in on one side - just wondering if that filled-in-hole is what you meant by "bubbles". I'll have to take a picture to show what I mean. Can you post pictures of what you mean?

As has been stated in the recent posts in this thread, the "cover" piece is just a very thin flexible piece of black plastic that is glued on - so you could easily make them yourself (I haven't seen them listed as being for sale as an OEM part anywhere). The ones that were on my car had a minor texture on them (kind of like the texture on the rocker cladding pieces, but not quite as much texture from what I remember).

I can't think of any reason why the black pieces are needed. I'm wondering if it's just related to the manufacturing/assembly process. Maybe they are there to protect the paint from one of the machines that assemble the car or something like that - only somewhat-plausible reason I can think of.
it's just little specs where the paint is gone, nothing like what you describe., like the paint gun had a "hiccup" definitely nothing intended.

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
I asked the very same question on another Challenger forum and no one there knew what purpose they served, either. They appear to be simple, textured stickers that get applied to most, but not all Challengers. I don't know how or why they could be omitted from the assembly line, but they sometimes do. In fact, if you go to the Dodge website, you will see some of their own marketing photos show cars with them and others without!

The reason I asked about them was because I was considering buying a Challenger that had been involved in an accident and the stickers were missing. My first thought was they were applied after some other assembly was performed at the factory, but hadn't been reapplied following the body work. I guess we'd have to ask a factory worker what the stickers are for to be sure.
those vinyl decals are simply to cover up the welding imperfections on the radiator support brackets. I noticed these appear on '17+ models.

The earlier years didn't have them and my '16 (Oct '15 build) doesn't either.

A number of folks complained about the rough textures or sometimes the paint bubbled around the rough welded areas. The decal is merely an aesthetic item, more than anything else.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Thanks @Hal H! Glad to finally hear a valid reason why they are there to begin with. I'm not going to worry about replacing them then. Although, speaking of replacing them - if you did want to replace (or add ) them, can you even buy them? Or do you just need to make your own? I haven't seen a part number listed for them anywhere...

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Thanks @Hal H! Glad to finally hear a valid reason why they are there to begin with. I'm not going to worry about replacing them then. Although, speaking of replacing them - if you did want to replace (or add ) them, can you even buy them? Or do you just need to make your own? I haven't seen a part number listed for them anywhere...
I painted them. It made no sense to replace brand new rotors when simply cleaning up and painting would resolve the issue.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I painted them. It made no sense to replace brand new rotors when simply cleaning up and painting would resolve the issue.
Actually, I was talking about the little plastic black squares in the engine bay. :) Confusing your threads, I think. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,408 Posts
Actually, I was talking about the little plastic black squares in the engine bay. :) Confusing your threads, I think. :)
trying to do many things at once.

My radiator support had pretty good welds - so I haven't even researched the vinyl decals for that area

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
So just a quick update - met with the body shop GM today and went over the issues in person. They are ordering the foam blocker for the fender (obviosuly) and a new rocker cladding. When I take the car back in to get those installed, they will work on the remaining minor panel alignment issues and the other minor issues I've identified. Before I took the car back in today, I was actually able to get the hood looking MUCH better by messing with the little hood knob adjusters. I just had to raise the drivers side knob a little to get the passenger side lower - so now both sides match and are almost perfect - although, I still want them to try and make it more "perfect". :)

The shop actually thought that it was the bumper fascia that was causing the hood to look lower in that one spot (which doesn't even look so bad now that I have the hood adjusters adjusted better) - and that it wasn't actually the hood repair that was the problem (which I too mentioned might be the case above, becuase I cannot find any evidence that the hood repair is the actual problem - so they may be right).

Like I told them, I really don't know or care exactly what the issue is - and I am not trying to make their life miserable - I just want it to be right. :) They were embarrassed about the missing foam blocker though. Hey, mistakes happen (obviously - that is how the car ended up being wrecked to begin with - I made a mistake!) - what is really important is how the mistakes are handled - and so far, I feel that any remaining issues will be addressed - and will be addressed in a timely manner. Hopefully, I'm right. :)

I have been quite pleased with the quality of the paint work though - the texture is a perfect match (the Challenger paint seems to have more of an "orange peel" texture than my other cars have had) - and the color match is spot-on.

So I'm confident that it will be made right in the end without much hoopla.... Almost there...

·
Super Moderator
12,530 Posts
My 2016 has the black stickers. I took them off, cleaned and painted and polished the support. I could see nothing unusual as far as paint quality or welds where they were

011.jpg

051.jpg

084.jpg

A Guy

81 - 99 of 99 Posts
About this Discussion
98 Replies
21 Participants
A Guy
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing