Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday out of the blue i floor my 10' srt and i notice the check engine light flashing but then it goes away. i think nothing of it.. i go a few blocks and floor it again and see the check engine light flash again. there was nothing noticeably wrong during either wot session.. so i plug in my diablo and see that i have a code for p0305 misfire in the number 5 cylinder. so i clear the code, i turn the car off and on and then go wot again and this time i can hear and feel a bad misfire.. this is mostly at wot. and when i just cruise there cel does not flash and drove normal.

so i turn the car off and on and clear the code and drive it around some more and notice nothing wrong and no more flashing cel or trouble codes come up..

i park the car for the night and the next day i get in the car and go wot and it feels fine. full power, no flashing cel, no trouble codes.

i pulled the #5 cylinder plugs, looked fine, still gapped correctly, put them back in drove around some more still no flashing cel or trouble codes... i switched the coil packs from the #5 cylinder to the number 4 just to see if it was the pack that was the issue but still no more flashing cel or codes....

one thing i did start to notice was that after a few wot passes as soon as i would get off the gas and then throw the car into neutral (i have a 6 speed) and start to brake the car would shut off right before i had come to a full complete stop. but it it would always start right back up with no issue and drive fine, and there are still no cel light or any trouble codes. car drives fine..

idk what they hell is going on... the day before all of this happen i did two things that are the only things i can come up with that may be related. i cleaned my afe cai and i powerwashed my engine bay... i know that may not have been the smartest thing but if there had been some issue from the water wouldnt the misfire issue have happened as soon as i power washed the engine bay the day before(as i drove the car immediately after i washed it and nothing was wrong) this only started happening more than 36 hours after the powerwash.

im guessing that if it was mechanical i.e. something actually wrong with the cylinder it wouldnt be a random issue and would be happening all the time but im no expert. im guessing maybe something got wet, it took a while for it to start acting up and now maybe it has dried out and fixed itself??? what it could be i dont know

the only mods my car has is a cam, exhaust, cai and tune, all of which have been on the car for 20k miles with no issues.

with no more trouble codes coming up and no flashing cel on full throttle im not sure where else to look, i was hoping that a code for the #4 cylinder misfire would come up after i switched the coil packs so id know it was the pack but nothing... any advice, help is greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Interested to see where this goes. I just got a p0300 on start up which is a random misfire code. Actually could be a number of things. I'd wait it out and see if cylinder 4 gets the code then you'll know for sure it is a misfire.

By chance did you take a pic of you plug?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i didnt take any pics of plugs, but i pulled a plug from another cylinder and they looked the same. im leaning towards me getting something wet when i power washed the motor. if it was mechanical i would assume it would not have gone away.. i am keeping a very close eye on things

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, did you see the post about the intake manifold bolts? I checked mine and indeed most of them were more than one turn out of the specified torque. Maybe it's your issue??

·
Registered
157 Posts
I experienced the exact same thing today. I too had hosed off the bottom portion of my engine a week ago and haven't really driven the car since then.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I experienced the exact same thing today. I too had hosed off the bottom portion of my engine a week ago and haven't really driven the car since then.
im leaning towards getting a wire wet, i have been watching things and no more issues so far, its too coincidental that i sprayed my engine and then a day later this happens for the first time.... im no expert but i am keeping an eye on everything.... let me know how your car drives after you start it back up. did you get the code at wot? was it p0305 or p0300 "random misfire?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, did you see the post about the intake manifold bolts? I checked mine and indeed most of them were more than one turn out of the specified torque. Maybe it's your issue??

doubt this is my issue, i have not touched my intake since the cam was put in over 30k miles ago...

·
Registered
1 Posts
so yesterday out of the blue i floor my 10' srt and i notice the check engine light flashing but then it goes away. i think nothing of it.. i go a few blocks and floor it again and see the check engine light flash again. there was nothing noticeably wrong during either wot session.. so i plug in my diablo and see that i have a code for p0305 misfire in the number 5 cylinder. so i clear the code, i turn the car off and on and then go wot again and this time i can hear and feel a bad misfire.. this is mostly at wot. and when i just cruise there cel does not flash and drove normal.

so i turn the car off and on and clear the code and drive it around some more and notice nothing wrong and no more flashing cel or trouble codes come up..

i park the car for the night and the next day i get in the car and go wot and it feels fine. full power, no flashing cel, no trouble codes.

i pulled the #5 cylinder plugs, looked fine, still gapped correctly, put them back in drove around some more still no flashing cel or trouble codes... i switched the coil packs from the #5 cylinder to the number 4 just to see if it was the pack that was the issue but still no more flashing cel or codes....

one thing i did start to notice was that after a few wot passes as soon as i would get off the gas and then throw the car into neutral (i have a 6 speed) and start to brake the car would shut off right before i had come to a full complete stop. but it it would always start right back up with no issue and drive fine, and there are still no cel light or any trouble codes. car drives fine..

idk what they hell is going on... the day before all of this happen i did two things that are the only things i can come up with that may be related. i cleaned my afe cai and i powerwashed my engine bay... i know that may not have been the smartest thing but if there had been some issue from the water wouldnt the misfire issue have happened as soon as i power washed the engine bay the day before(as i drove the car immediately after i washed it and nothing was wrong) this only started happening more than 36 hours after the powerwash.

im guessing that if it was mechanical i.e. something actually wrong with the cylinder it wouldnt be a random issue and would be happening all the time but im no expert. im guessing maybe something got wet, it took a while for it to start acting up and now maybe it has dried out and fixed itself??? what it could be i dont know

the only mods my car has is a cam, exhaust, cai and tune, all of which have been on the car for 20k miles with no issues.

with no more trouble codes coming up and no flashing cel on full throttle im not sure where else to look, i was hoping that a code for the #4 cylinder misfire would come up after i switched the coil packs so id know it was the pack but nothing... any advice, help is greatly appreciated?

Hello,

I see your post is from 2014, but I recently experienced the P0305 code after replacing all my spark plugs. Well... the check engine light come on & my challenger was not operating as usual so I put her in the shop. I just got the call that the issue is the camshaft & repairs are estimated at $3700.00. I can't believe the results were so serious- Is this possible?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the p0305 code, slight misfiring at idle, but full power at wot. Swapped plugs, coils, same misfire.
Pulled valve cover, nice and clean rocker arms and springs, but#5 intake valve NOT MOVING when cranking engine! Compression check shows 90lbs in#5 but 140lbs +/- all others. Valve looks to be closed. What cha think?

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I have the p0305 code, slight misfiring at idle, but full power at wot. Swapped plugs, coils, same misfire.
Pulled valve cover, nice and clean rocker arms and springs, but#5 intake valve NOT MOVING when cranking engine! Compression check shows 90lbs in#5 but 140lbs +/- all others. Valve looks to be closed. What cha think?
You may have gotten very lucky.
Keep us informed if you will, I'm interested in the outcome.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Probably a wiped-out cam lobe. It seems to be on one of the non-MDS lifters ir you 2012 RT+ is an automatic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts