Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Dodge Magnum R/T RWD
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a 2008 Gen III hemi 5.7 and what I want is about 425 hp from the stock 345 or at least 400. Why no slightly cheaper and underpowered super charger, whether it be centrifugal, roots, or twin-screw? I'm guessing the cost would still be up there for even an underpowered unit, but it's a bummer that such a unit doesn't seem to exist. Anyone know of something I'm missing? The alternative seems to be less power than I want and would probably have to include multiple mods like relatively expensive cams that probably should include springs, rods, maybe lifters; the huge labor costs, cold air intake, exhaust mods, chip mods; who knows. I think I could handle a SC install myself. Why are there no $4k superchargers for 5.7 hemi that won't wreck the stock drive train nor my bank account?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
I've got a 2008 Gen III hemi 5.7 and what I want is about 425 hp from the stock 345 or at least 400. Why no slightly cheaper and underpowered super charger, whether it be centrifugal, roots, or twin-screw? I'm guessing the cost would still be up there for even an underpowered unit, but it's a bummer that such a unit doesn't seem to exist. Anyone know of something I'm missing? The alternative seems to be less power than I want and would probably have to include multiple mods like relatively expensive cams that probably should include springs, rods, maybe lifters; the huge labor costs, cold air intake, exhaust mods, chip mods; who knows. I think I could handle a SC install myself. Why are there no $4k superchargers for 5.7 hemi that won't wreck the stock drive train nor my bank account?
Forced induction is still forced induction, and all it's complexities and contingencies to deal with... besides you will probably only be running 6-7psi anyway on a stock motor. At least "safely" that is, just a guess based on the 6.4.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure you're right, but $ are still $ and there is a pothole in performance offerings from what I'm experiencing. I can't find a simple, mid range (60 to 100 hp), safe performance boost for my motor for under $4,000. That seems peculiar to me. The question is; is it totally physics due to the displacement of the motor? Am I SOL because I don't have a 2 liter motor? I'm hoping someone will clue me into some reasonably priced, simple "and reliable" method for $4k or under. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It would be cheaper, and wiser, to sell your car and get a scat pack than to try to go cheap on a super-charger for your car. Most shops around here charge $9-10K for pro-chargers out the door, twin-turbo setups like Hellion are even more.
When you start adding boost, you have to add fuel and cooling. Get a scatpack. You will be so much better off.

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
If a reliable, complete, FI package could be built for under $4k, it would have been on the market already.

Ain't happening.

Reactions: OffDutyPete

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are many youtube videos of people doing cheap Chinese knock-off DIY kits, and they almost always end in disaster. I don't want anything made out of chinesium anywhere on or in my ride.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It would be cheaper, and wiser, to sell your car and get a scat pack than to try to go cheap on a super-charger for your car. Most shops around here charge $9-10K for pro-chargers out the door, twin-turbo setups like Hellion are even more.
When you start adding boost, you have to add fuel and cooling. Get a scatpack. You will be so much better off.
Lotta money for a scatpack. I can understand your point that all the $ going into a reliable SC might as well go into a scatpack. But I don't want to spend a lotta money for anything. Besides, I like my Magnum R/T and truth be told; I might have to live with the stock 345 hp, or fart around with some of these other potentially snake-oil, mini-mods. That's really my question. I'm still thinking there must be some reliable, 5 to 6 psi that gets me 75 hp that I want for $4k. Riiight.

If a reliable, complete, FI package could be built for under $4k, it would have been on the market already.

Ain't happening.
That's what I'm inclined to believe as well. But I was hoping there could be some relatively underpowered solution that we could call the "Meh"-Charger that would give me the 75 hp that I want. Apparently not so far. Thanks for chiming in.

There are many youtube videos of people doing cheap Chinese knock-off DIY kits, and they almost always end in disaster. I don't want anything made out of chinesium anywhere on or in my ride.
Understood, me either. I'd go the cam 2 or 3 route before I did that. I figure it couldn't hurt to run this by folks though. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
Try a tune and a cold air intake.....really woke my 5.7 up in my 06 Charger...

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
Cam and Long Tube headers got me 84 WHP on the same dyno. (350 to 434) You will need a tune and mid pipes, plu I added a 180 degree T-stat and am going back this year for a stall speed converter. If you do it all at once, you will be good.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try a tune and a cold air intake.....really woke my 5.7 up in my 06 Charger...
I'll definitely do that mod. Question is whether I can get comfortable with some cam configuration too. I'm hoping someone has experience with Gen III 5.7 and some cam setup and tuning.
Thanks much.

Cam and Long Tube headers got me 84 WHP on the same dyno. (350 to 434) You will need a tune and mid pipes, plu I added a 180 degree T-stat and am going back this year for a stall speed converter. If you do it all at once, you will be good.
I'll have to check into exhaust flow possibilities. I didn't want to convert the car to something overly loud. I thought Long Tube headers get you hp at the higher rpm range and shorter ones at the lower rpm range. I'm unsure if that's one that I need or not. What is your ride?
thx

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I'll have to check into exhaust flow possibilities. I didn't want to convert the car to something overly loud. I thought Long Tube headers get you hp at the higher rpm range and shorter ones at the lower rpm range. I'm unsure if that's one that I need or not. What is your ride?
thx
my car is a 2015 R/T Plus A8. I have has it since 2015. With my cam (Comp Cams 274) I do need a stall to get it to launch at the right RPM.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe some day. :)

my car is a 2015 R/T Plus A8. I have has it since 2015. With my cam (Comp Cams 274) I do need a stall to get it to launch at the right RPM.
I read up a bit on stall as I've only glossed over it. I am hoping I don't need to get that involved with whatever cam I put in; assuming I do that. I don't have a good feel for what cam level to look at, or how they feel when driving. Need some input from folks who have the 5.7 gen III hemi who have good experience with some particular cam.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I read up a bit on stall as I've only glossed over it. I am hoping I don't need to get that involved with whatever cam I put in; assuming I do that. I don't have a good feel for what cam level to look at, or how they feel when driving. Need some input from folks who have the 5.7 gen III hemi who have good experience with some particular cam.
Here;s my Cam spec and dyno sheet.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,817 Posts
Maybe some day. :)
It would seem that NOS is in your price range and a super charger or a cam is not. BTW, you should get your desired horse power with long tubes and a tune, but you should understand how everything functions before spending money,

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited by Moderator)
It would seem that NOS is in your price range and a super charger or a cam is not. BTW, you should get your desired horse power with long tubes and a tune, but you should understand how everything functions before spending money,
Cam upgrade is in my price range.
What is the approximate hp gains by tune vs long tubes and what kind of tune are you talking about?

Is your cam considered type 1, 2, 3? How does it drive compared to stock? I have no experience at all with a cam change. Thanks for the specs.

With my cam (Comp Cams 274) I do need a stall to get it to launch at the right RPM
btw; I wish I had an A8 in my Magnum. I have an A10 in my Acura RDX and it does amazing things with only 270hp

Just out of curiosity, any guesses on what labor I might be expecting to install this package.
https www.shophemi.com p-1211-57-61-hemi-power-trip-package.aspx

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited by Moderator)
Check out TorqStorm blowers. They are Relatively inexpensive (compared to other options) but you'd need to source out an intercooler, injectors, tune and other incidentals though, but it's still cheaper in the long run. I think there are a couple of people on this forum that might have run them.

TorqStorm blower.................

TorqStorm search results from this forum................
Coincidentally I sent them an email last night asking about product options for my hemi. I would not feel comfortable cobbling together parts from multiple vendors for a blower unless it were well established. I'll search this forum for TorqStorm though and see if there's some good info. Thanks for the suggestion.

Looking at the TorqStorm posts on this forum, I noted that they are still very strong centrifugal units despite being less expensive. The problem will be the same though; too much power for what I'm after; putting the stock motor and drive train at risk. That's the "cost" I don't want to deal with; the cost of breakage due to too much power, or even the cost of upgraded parts to handle the power. I just want about 75 to 100 hp in the simplist most reliable way I can find. It was worth the research though; thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
846 Posts
I just want about 75 to 100 hp in the simplist most reliable way I can find. .
I guess I'm similar to you, I want to get everything I can out of the Scat Pack without going inside the engine, transmission and replacing driveline components. But the reality is these cars are well engineered for the price / performance they deliver and getting more for a small investment is a difficult task. I've come to the conclusion if I really want boost the best alternative is to trade up to a HC but then the journey just starts again. Back to your 75 to 100 HP, my conclusion is a tune and a small shot but even that may exceed the capability of some components.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting response from sales rep at Torqstorm. He said there was no smaller unit for my vehicle, but they could turn it down to max out at around 400 hp for example. Has anyone ever heard of that ability in any type or brand of SuperCharger? I realize most folks on this forum would think that's such an insane objective. Don't get me wrong; I'd love an extra 250 hp if the car could handle it. I just read up one of the posts in this forum about installing the Hemi Power Trip package which is another route I was looking at. But when it's all said and done, the guy had shelled out over $7k. If I could get a dialed down SC that would give me 75 to 100 hp for $5 to $7k, I think I'd go that route. If I had the right parts and instructions, I think I could do the install; tuning excepted. It would also be nice to have the option to dial it up if at some point I decided I had some extra money to beef up some of the drive train components.

I guess I'm similar to you, I want to get everything I can out of the Scat Pack without going inside the engine, transmission and replacing driveline components. But the reality is these cars are well engineered for the price / performance they deliver and getting more for a small investment is a difficult task. I've come to the conclusion if I really want boost the best alternative is to trade up to a HC but then the journey just starts again. Back to your 75 to 100 HP, my conclusion is a tune and a small shot but even that may exceed the capability of some components.
But 75 to 100 is a whole lot less likely to break something than screaming 125 to 300 extra hp, right?
I'm very interested in what the Torqstorm rep said to me about governing the SC. I hope that's not sales rep snake oil. It would be of value to me to have a way to limit the hp. He also noted that with the lesser hp, the other components like intercooler could be lesser and less expensive. That also interests me. I really do think there is a big market that these companies are not seeing. I don't need to experience the twist of the frame of my car, although that would be fun. I just want some extra passing power and umph off the line while not worrying so much about destroying my car....for under $5k installed. Is that too much to ask? Apparently.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts