Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Hurst short throw mod and upon disassembling everything I noticed that one of the two pins (the ones that are a B*tc* to get out) were missing. There's no way this pin could have fallen out over time right? I'm thinking it was never installed and I'm curious if anyone knows just how serious this is?

I'm trying to make time to go to a delearship and try to get this taken care of but my work schedule is packed (Air Force recruiter). Also, does anyone think the mechanics will give me crap due to the fact that it's my word against "theirs" that the pin was missing? I mean, how else would I have ever realized it if I never would've done the mod?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Did you get it at Landers in Bossier? The service dept. made the sales Dept. do an internal document to get my daytime running lights turned on for free. I don't think the'll do anything for free.
Rick

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's where I picked it up anyway. And they told me there was no way I could get the daytime running lights activated! They had my car for about 30 min and told me it wasn't equipped.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know what you have and I've heard people say that dealers give them a hard time on some SEs. They wanted $50 to turn my RTs on and Town and Country over at the Sport auto mall acted like they didn't know what I was talking about so I don't trust them to look at may car. I told Butch my salesman that I thought it was bull sh!tt and he told them to do it and they made him fill out some internal document saying that the sales Dept. was paying to get it done.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Yes, that's where I picked it up anyway. And they told me there was no way I could get the daytime running lights activated! They had my car for about 30 min and told me it wasn't equipped.
Change dealers fast...

If your dealer cant even turn on DRL's I would not trust them to check the air pressure in the tires.
Next thing they will be telling you is the headlight fluid is low...Sheesh...
Do yourself and your ride a favor and get to a dealer that knows what they are talking about.

Good luck...:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Change dealers fast...

If your dealer cant even turn on DRL's I would not trust them to check the air pressure in the tires.
Next thing they will be telling you is the headlight fluid is low...Sheesh...
Do yourself and your ride a favor and get to a dealer that knows what they are talking about.

Good luck...:thumbsup:
I know you were talking to the op but I live here and know for a fact I've never seen a Challenger at the other dealer in town and their even worse.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I finally made my way to Birmingham, Alabama but have yet to find a dealer. I need one quick because I have a few issues that I need taken care of. I just hope this pin issue doesn't turn out to be something bigger than it really is. I mean, I can install it myself, but if they'll do it then I won't complain. Also, if they do give me grief, does anyone know how I could go about ordering something like this. I searched for an illustrated parts breakdown of the car, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Here goes and if you don't have this yet it's a great site to save.100 Challenger Tips and Tricks

Tip:41
DRL’s on CHALLENGER: How To ACTIVATE

DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) and Activation of.

This is where the inboard AMBER turn signals both come on bright and stay on while driving and properly switch OFF/ON during turn signals.
The bright amber lights highlight the vehicle for others to see it better during the day, hence the name Daytime Running Lights.
When you select headlights on, the DRL's switch off and AMBER turn signals now go to low power filament and will glow bright on lane
change indications as normal.

In Canada it is against the law to remove/disable the DRL on any vehicle 1990 and newer. Also all vehicles imported that are mfg 1990 and newer must have them. They are considered basic safety equipment- like brake lights or headlights.

Note to Service Tech's to Activate DRL's on the Dodge Challenger in the United States.

You do not have to Change COUNTRY code (ie. Canada, Unites States, etc.) to do this.
It is NOT in the vehicle Prep Area!

This is done in TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) Programming Options.

With StarScan (or with 2010 and newer StarMobile or WiTech) go into TIPM setup. Note: Do not use Wycliff for this!

Note: We can do this also for add on "fog lamps" on other models.

StarScan or StarMobile:
ECU View --->
TIPM/CGW --->
Misc Functions --->
Enable DRL - follow prompts.

Check the status of the DRL and see if its ENABLED. It is not listed as "Daytime Running Lights" but it is actually listed as "DRL" in the scan tool.

When vehicle is placed in gear and parking brake is in the OFF position, the DRL's will then automatically come on.

Q: Just to be clear: the orange (inner most) lights can be set to DRL mode following this procedure?
A: Yes, but only in gear, no parking brake on, it will turn on the turn signal element in the front lights only.

The following picture shows stepping through the different light operations (modes).

DRL enable conditions are:

a. DRL’s switch OFF when EMER.BRAKE is ON, turn OFF EMER.BRAKE if on to test DRL’s.

b. DRL's switch OFF when headlights are turned ON.
c. Automatic transmission: Make sure the vehicle is in gear to activate as well.

d. Standard transmission: DRL's on when engine running, headlights off, EMER.BRAKE off.

Note:
IF your service technician at the Dodge Dealership tries to activate them on a system called Wycliff, it will NOT be possible.
Tell them they must follow the procedure noted above to get into the TIPM configuration and select the option there.
Many dealer tech's are not intimately familiar with all the TIPM configuration options.

Be patient and give them a written step by step procedure.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I know you were talking to the op but I live here and know for a fact I've never seen a Challenger at the other dealer in town and their even worse.
That's amazing...

Not to hi-jack the subject but, around here you cant drive 20 miles without tripping over a Chrysler dealer.
As a rule they bust their a$$es to give decent service (in my experience anyway).
I hope Mr. Long finds a dealer that can install his shifter and activate his DRL's for free while being offered a cup of coffee.
That's just the way it should be IMHO

Good luck Amigo...:smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
That's amazing...

Not to hi-jack the subject but, around here you cant drive 20 miles without tripping over a Chrysler dealer.
As a rule they bust their a$$es to give decent service (in my experience anyway).
I hope Mr. Long finds a dealer that can install his shifter and activate his DRL's for free while being offered a cup of coffee.
That's just the way it should be IMHO

Good luck Amigo...:smokin:
I hope so too but the closest Mopar dealer if you leave here is about 35 miles away in Mindin and I've never heard of them having anything but a used 09 that their proud of. I don't know were they are if you go to Texas.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I hope I can find a dealer that won't make this a nightmare. I used to work on base, but I got an assignment as a recruiter back home in Birmingham. So that's where I'll be for the next 3 years. There's not many Dodge dealerships around here either, so I'm hoping my experience will be just like what MoparRick described (free w/ a cup of coffee).

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I DO seem to recall one other member here, who found one of the two mount pins missing, believe it may have been on the " Hurst shifter fix" thread. To get a replacement you just have to call any dealer, and give them your VIN# as so many parts are specific nowadays to the cars it's hard to get specific/general part numbers anymore. Don't know what to suggest for where to get warranty repairs where U are, but in DFW we have Grapevine Dodge, with a tech Doug, that stays very current and really tries to repair in one visit, good luck!

·
Registered
154 Posts
is your car a automatic? i have a automatic and i would like to put the hurst shifter and hurst plate. where do i get these and is it hard to put on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts