Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning,

I have done some work on my 2019, Scat 1320, BES forger short block and Procharger. I am around 660 RWHP. I have kept it under 700 to protect my stock A 8 trans. Has anyone had experience with the MMX 160 degree trans thermostat
kit? I want to keep it working well until/if I go after more power. Any reviews would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,052 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You mean this kit?

It's meant to bring the trans up to temp quickly. Basically bypasses the trans cooler until it hits the target temp.

Most trans kits I ever installed were to keep the fluid cool. I think more damage can be done if the trans fluid gets too hot as opposed to too cold.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's meant to bring the trans up to temp quickly. Basically bypasses the trans cooler until it hits the target temp.

Most trans kits I ever installed were to keep the fluid cool. I think more damage can be done if the trans fluid gets too hot as opposed to too cold.
One of us has misunderstood the description from the website...

"
This
HP8 160° Thermostat Kit by MMX
will help bring your transmission up to operating temperatures as quickly as possible as it will prevent flow to the cooler until the fluid reaches 160°(factory is 195-205)."

That reads to me that it is designed to keep the trans at 160F, compared to the factory design trying to keep the trans at 195-205F

But, if the trans has an internal thermostat set at 195-205, then I don't see how this kit would be able to keep it cooler than that - as it would have no flow going to it until 195F.....

Hmm

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,052 Posts
I must admit I thought it was a trans cooling kit because high temps kill, but then I read the description and it really is a kit to warm-up the trans. Although I never heard of a trans failing because the fluid was too cold.

What about the engine? Why don't they have something like that that bypasses the engine oil cooler?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum.

You mean this kit?

Yes, I saw that it brought the trans up to temp quick. It does imply that once there it will keep it cooler. This is why I was wondering if anyone had installed or have any experience. Thank you for the feedback.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,052 Posts
Yes, I saw that it brought the trans up to temp quick. It does imply that once there it will keep it cooler. This is why I was wondering if anyone had installed or have any experience. Thank you for the feedback.
Sorry but that kit will not keep the trans cooler and nowhere in the description does it imply it will keep it cooler...it is meant to warm it up quicker and that is it. As the description says, it bypasses the trans cooler (radiator) until the trans fluid hits a certain temp...in this case 160. Once 160 is hit then the tran fluid is allowed to flow through the trans OEM cooler. Now if the there is a stock trans thermostat already in the system (I have a manual so I don't know off hand) then replacing that thermostat with a lower temp one will keep the trans cooler. I will check shortly.

Ah ok, there is a trans thermo bypass valve stock (I should have checked) so yeah this will keep it cooler. Now it is obvious as the description states the stock bypass temp is around 195.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,052 Posts
One of us has misunderstood the description from the website...

"
This
HP8 160° Thermostat Kit by MMX
will help bring your transmission up to operating temperatures as quickly as possible as it will prevent flow to the cooler until the fluid reaches 160°(factory is 195-205)."

That reads to me that it is designed to keep the trans at 160F, compared to the factory design trying to keep the trans at 195-205F

But, if the trans has an internal thermostat set at 195-205, then I don't see how this kit would be able to keep it cooler than that - as it would have no flow going to it until 195F.....

Hmm
Yeah apparently it does have a stock bypass...I should have checked. I'll stick to manual trans questions. Although according to FSM stock temp is 160F.

If that is so, don't see the kit making the trans run cooler.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts