Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 RT Shaker.
When backing out and turning wheels...I am hearing a pronounced moaning or rubbing sound from front...suspension I suspect.
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
Factory wheels/tires? Lowered?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,204 Posts
My WAG is you are hearing the pads rubbing against the rotors. Over the miles pads/calipers develop a little extra clearance. The hardware that holds the pads secure -- anti rattle clips mainly -- don't do as good a job.

This phenomenon was common with my Porsche cars as the miles climbed to over 100K miles.The front wheels had considerable caster which in a full lock turn meant the inside front wheel was canted way over and the uphill -- inner -- pad was encouraged by gravity and some centrifugal force towards the rotor.

The noise was not that loud and not scary. I assume that is the case in your case. But brakes -- if they are the source of the noise -- are a safety critical system and you want to be sure there is nothing wrong in that area.

On some pavement in a full lock low speed turn the inside front wheel/tire will not grip but slide due to the differences in the amount of turn the front wheels have in a full lock turn. The outer tire being more upright will have the most traction/grip and control the rate of the vehicle's turn. The inner tire is in some cases just along for the ride. On some pavement the tire would grip/break loose/grip and there would be a shuddering. Other times just a bit of tire "howl".

And the noise might be coming from some other source. In some cases the noise can be from the hydraulic power steering system. Is the power steering fluid level ok?

At any rate you are welcome to have the noise listened to a by a tech and the car checked for any issues by a professional.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts