Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Forum,
Has anyone tried the Mobil 1 annual protection oil? I am skeptical about living oil in the car for an entire year, not to mention the filter. Looking for some input, pros and cons, I am leaning toward sticking with the Mobil 1 synthetic that I replace every 5000 miles. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have not used it. I have always used the top shelf mobil 1 stuff rated at 15,000 miles and I still change that every 5-6k miles. I would never leave the oil in my car for a year or even 15,000 miles. Cheap insurance to change the oil when you have a performance motor.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have not used it. I have always used the top shelf mobil 1 stuff rated at 15,000 miles and I still change that every 5-6k miles. I would never leave the oil in my car for a year or even 15,000 miles. Cheap insurance to change the oil when you have a performance motor.
Agree!

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
I also agree. Besides, the one-year oil is very expensive. It's just for lazy people who don't like to change their oil often.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Changing oil once a year is fine if you use a good oil like Amsoil. I do that with my daily drivers and have gone over 20,000 miles on them at times. Zero issues with any of those cars.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
633 Posts
Has anyone had their oil analyzed? My son has oil in his vehicles analyzed at every oil change with some interesting results. He has a 25 year old Dodge V6 with 300K miles which is driven 100 miles per day using conventional brand name oil. Analysis results, use 10,000 mile change intervals. On the other hand, his wife's new Honda which is driven 3,000 miles per year in 2 to 3 miles trips the recommendation was to change it at 1,000 to 1,500 miles especially in the winter.

I agree oil changes are cheap insurance but don't like throwing away $50 worth of oil for no good reason.

·
Registered
524 Posts
My 2011 SRT only requires once a year oil change as it only accumulates approximately 1000 miles in that time.
Therefore, I use Mobil 1, 0-40 and only change once a year.

I understand later models require a 6 month maximum time change interval.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
My 2011 SRT only requires once a year oil change as it only accumulates approximately 1000 miles in that time.
Therefore, I use Mobil 1, 0-40 and only change once a year.

I understand later models require a 6 month maximum time change interval.
What do you think is the difference between later models and yours???

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
Horse power upgraded to 485 from 470.
Pennzoil now, Mobile 1 before.
FCA now, Cerberus before.
It's Pennzoil now because they made a deal with Chrysler, my oil fill cap from Dodge says Mobil 1.
Money as always is the reason in the auto industry, if it was the product we'd be reading threads here is many engine failures. If Mobil 1 was good enough when Mercedes was owner, it's still plenty good now.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mobile 1

His year manual should state every six months regardless of miles.
You are correct, I checked and the manual does say 6 months. I was going by old memory of having been told that years ago at the dealership.
I just spoke with the Service Manager at the dealership I go to. He stated that he goes by several factors when considering warranty claims and that with my mileage, grade/brand of oil and frequency of change, he said he has no problem with it. I asked if I should start doing the 6 month change, he said, "no reason to".
I can only hope he is there if I have a problem.

·
Registered
14,272 Posts
You are correct, I checked and the manual does say 6 months. I was going by old memory of having been told that years ago at the dealership.
I just spoke with the Service Manager at the dealership I go to. He stated that he goes by several factors when considering warranty claims and that with my mileage, grade/brand of oil and frequency of change, he said he has no problem with it. I asked if I should start doing the 6 month change, he said, "no reason to".
I can only hope he is there if I have a problem.
Don't agree with the 'no reason to". The 6 month oil changes are required to keep your engine warranty on SRT, not sure if you are still under warranty or not. Lots of dealers say stuff but when it gets down to a big repair, FCA and not the dealer calls the shots.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,346 Posts
It's more important in the long run to have a reliable vehicle than it is to save a few dollars on an oil change. Being frugal comes at an expensive life's lesson all too often.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,817 Posts
I have a lifetime warranty, so technically as long as I meet their requirements, if anything goes wrong they will have to fix it. But I'd be happy to never set foot in a Dodge service department. I used a quality oil and filter. Overkill, but once I year, I'll do it happily. A Guy

·
Registered
834 Posts
I change my oil once a year in everything except my daily driver. I ritually use Thanksgiving weekend just for this since that's when everything goes into hibernation for the winter.

My SRT gets about 2000 miles put on it a year and there is nothing special about the car that it needs the oil changed every 6 months regardless of mileage while every car before it doesn't. It's just Chrysler covering their ass. By the owner's manual, you should be changing the oil every 6 months even if the car hasn't been started since last oil change. It's a complete waste if you're not accruing the miles typically associated with regularly driven cars.

What's more important is making sure your car has fresh oil in it when sitting for extended periods. I also put 1/2 a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer in it to keep oil stuck to the metal. Synthetic oil doesn't like to stick to metal for very long.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts