Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used this? Is it 12 months or is there mileage which ever comes first?
Can it alter the warranty? Would you try it?

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
For 392s, FCA states 6 months or 6k miles for changes.

If this isn't followed, they can say "warranty voided" on the engine, if an oil related failure occurs. This type of failure probably won't happen, but if one doesn't follow the oil change schedule, it's their right to deny a claim.

Personally, I follow the schedule, as I'm not going to foot the bill for repairs or a new 392. Recommended oil and change schedule is cheap compared to this.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
The top-of-the-line synthetics now say 1 year, or from 15,000 to 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. I imagine if you are doing mostly city stop and go driving, you would want to change it sooner.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The top of the line synthetics now say 1 year or from 15,000 to 25,000 miles, whatever comes first. I imagine if you are doing mostly city stop and go driving, you would want to change it sooner.
All oil makers tout extended drain intervals but somewhere in the fine print say to follow the auto maker's recommendations with regards to how many miles or how long to run the oil.

There are two concerns with leaving oil in service too long. One is acid build up due to contamination from combustion. Water and other things get in the oil and these form acid compounds. Whenever the engine is shut off the oil stratifies and a layer (or more) of acid forms.

While there is no real concern about the acid eating through the block or oil pan or what have you anywhere the oil is in contact with a gasket, o-ring, seal there is acid at work on that item.

The other concern is the depletion of the oil's additive package. Some synthetic oils are not very seal friendly. An additive -- ester --- is added which helps counter the negative effects of the base oil on the seal.

But the "life" of this ester additive may not last beyond 6 months. If the oil is not replaced with fresh the seals could start to deteriorate and the engine could develop oil leaks that could be very expensive to address.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there...Does anyone believe or follow the oil life calculator in our cars? Maybe 2015 and up only have this.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
I'm just throwing this out there...Does anyone believe or follow the oil life calculator in our cars? Maybe 2015 and up only have this.

So far, my oil life gauge on my Scat Pack get's close to "zero" between 5000/5500 miles. I do a lot of cruising, but I also do run it pretty hard too.

Right now it's at 54% and I have about 3k miles on the oil. However, I'm a few weeks away from the 6-month mark.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I checked mine yesterday, out of curiosity. I'm at 2200 miles and it says 78% left. That's mostly highway driving.

·
Premium Member
3,000 Posts
None of this matters if you are still under warranty and want to maintain it. It is not a technical issue, it is a political or legal issue. You need to use the oil they state and change it when they state.

From a technical standpoint, given my low mileage driving, I would have no problem using Mobil 1 and only changing it once a year but it is irrelevant what makes sense or what I think when the warranty is involved.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So far, my oil life gage on my Scat Pack get's close to "zero" between 5000/5500 miles. I do a lot of cruising, but I also do run it pretty hard too.

Right now it's at 54% and I have about 3k miles on the oil. However, I'm a few weeks away from the 6 month mark.
Got 3k on oil and it say 68%

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
I've decided to change the oil at 50%, just because I'm a "I want at least half kind of guy." Oh wait ......that's what the Ex said!!!! :grin2:

Just kidding, been hitched 31 years now.......sometimes it DOES seem longer. :grin2:

·
Registered
552 Posts
I'll add one more twist. Not all synthetics are formulated the same (obviously). Mobil 1 is good oil, but the Euro 0W40 is low in Molybdenum (like 70 ppm or so). The SRT engineers specifically wanted higher moly content and the specified Pennzoil 0w40 is high in moly (like 240 ppm). Moly is a friction reducing additive, so I stick with the Pennzoil product. In addition, I do get the oil analyzed every change, just to watch for anything out of the ordinary in the oil (high silicon content or metals, coolant, etc). For example, high silicon content could develop if the air filter isn't properly filtering (the high silicon is caused by sand getting past the filter). I also use the SRT oil filter. Thicker can, higher pressure bypass spring, better synthetic filter media and designed specifically for the SRT engines (as opposed to the general purpose MOPAR filter).
The lab analysis also serves as proof of oil changes and engine condition to some extent, so if something did occur I have backup if suddenly there were high occurrence of lead or copper or coolant in the oil. I can also compare it to other similar engines to see if it's wearing as expected.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
The top of the line synthetics now say 1 year or from 15,000 to 25,000 miles, whatever comes first. I imagine if you are doing mostly city stop and go driving, you would want to change it sooner.

I’m sure they do but not everyone has the same driving habits.
My main concern would be the oil filter. Cheap aftermarket oil filters fall apart at about 5k to 6k miles.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I change mine once a year Thanksgiving weekend when I put it away for the winter. I use "regular" synthetic Mobil 1 with a small amount of Lucas oil stabilizer but only put about 1000 miles on the car each year.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I’m sure they do but not everyone has the same driving habits.
My main concern would be the oil filter. Cheap aftermarket oil filters fall apart at about 5k to 6k miles.
Exactly.

For one of my Porsches,according the factory schedule, the oil change is every 15K miles the filter change every 30K miles! For reasons I won't bore you with at around 4K miles I decided to change the oil (and filter) and thereafter every 5K miles.

What would happen is for a road trip I'd leave town with fresh oil in the engine. Then after most of the time just a week I'd return home with 5K miles on the car. Back in the car would go to get its oil changed.

More than once -- when I changed the oil or later when I had the car servced at the dealer -- I'd observe the oil draining from the pan. It would be translucent with a bit of amber color to it. Obviously in 5K miles of almost all highway driving the oil even with 5K miles could have probably gone another 5K miles. (And one time it did, in my other Porsche, a 996 Turbo, when because of the distraction of family responsibilities I let the oil in the Turbo go 10K miles.)

But someone who uses the car for short trips no way that oil should go beyond 5K miles.

In fact even though I drive 60 miles a day -- work commute M-F -- at mostly freeway speeds and when the oil had been in service for 5K miles, when I drained the oil there was no amber. The oil was quite dark, black.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
My GT's manual says change the oil every 12 months or 12,000 miles. but I will change it every spring and fall because in the winter I use the remote start to warm the car and melt the ice and frost off the glass which means much more idle time. The 13 mile drive between home and work is not far enough to get the oil hot enough for long enough to dry all the moisture out of the engine. Besides my Scat Pack gets fresh oil every 6 months and I don't want my GT to feel neglected and less loved.

·
Premium Member
9,425 Posts
Manual says every 6 months regardless of mileage. It’s too inexpensive to cheap out over it. As far as the euro spec Mobil 1 comments, it was plenty fine to use when Mercedes owned mama Chrysler. If it wasn’t good enough we’d read about engine failure constantly here. Pennzoil just partnered with Chrysler which means they just paid more money to do so. Many people have Mobil 1 oil fill caps. Where was it posted by Chrysler not to use that oil? When I bought my car 5W-40 was the spec’d oil and then went to 0W-40 in a written letter I got. So where is the Pennzoil-mandated letter we all got? Exactly what I thought. They never said you must.
One other point I read. If a manufacturer requires you use a certain item nobody makes and holds it as a condition of warranty coverage THEY MUST PROVIDE IT FREE OF CHARGE.
Now back to the usual topic at hand.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts