Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...so we know that the full synthetic Mobile 1 0w-40 is a good oil, but I'm debating on switching to RP this week or so as they cost about the same, and I liked RP in my FJ, but I really don't know if any of their claims are factual, or if it really protects or doesn't...I've heard some stories debating this, but I'd love to use their rear diff and engine oils if they ARE good and it wasn't just some bogus report.

NO Amsoil etc, as it's not easy to get and expensive :O, this is strictly about RP and M1, though if you want to talk about that Penzoil synth I keep hearing about that'd be cool to as I'd love to know if it's any good in our engines and is up to the standards of the Mobile 1 0w-40 Full Synth (I'm always wanting to know if RP is better, or just the same... or lesser in our engines)

I know I've heard claims of people with hemis not noticing the ticking noise all the hemis have until they get close to operating temperature, that lifter noise or w\e....dunno why RP would solve that but M1 wouldn't?

·
Premium Member
3,873 Posts
It is as good as better, maybe try it and see. The tick does not bother me, I do know that Mopar has a new rocker kit and shaft and I think that is the souce of the issue, that said i have seen a lot of 300s srts with 6.1s with 150k on them and engine is fine. with the tick...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is as good as better, maybe try it and see. The tick does not bother me, I do know that Mopar has a new rocker kit and shaft and I think that is the souce of the issue, that said i have seen a lot of 300s srts with 6.1s with 150k on them and engine is fine. with the tick...
Ok I'll just swap out my fluids with RP instead of M1\Mopar and see how it goes, I know the ticking noise isn't an issue hemis, but on 95% of engines out there it is and it does bother me a bit, so if RP solves it from making that ticking sound I'll love it :p, was just curious as to why RP would but M1 wouldn't though

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I run RP 10w-40 and it works just fine in my forged 6 speed as for the diff lube I have been told that the factory fluids are the best...

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
I run RP ATF in my six speed. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not to start a oil debate but boutique oils generally are not certified due to cost and companies like RP, Amsoil, Redline, etc. elect not to certify again due to cost and to give them the flexibility to change the formula if they feel it is needed.

Mobil 1 0W40 meets the specific spec noted in you manual for the 6.1 and is certified. The Pennzoil product also meets the spec and is certified but the Pennzoil product is a Group III mineral oil and not a true Group IV or V synthetic. If you are concerned with warranty make sure the oil you select specifically says it meets or exceed the specific spec for your engine even if it is not certified like Redline, Amsoil, or RP. In the unlikely event you have an oil related engine issue I am sure there are some dealerships who would want proof that you used a certified oil and if you did not have that then tough beans. In that case you will have to depend on the oil manufacture to fix your engine because their product failed and that is a long and difficult process. If the oil used does not even state that it meets the required spec then you could be holding the bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts