Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i plan on getting a 2012 SRT, and i REALLY want to add some kind of FI, but im kinda on a *tightish* budget, and dont have 7 grand to drop on a supercharger kit.... Are there any cheap, yet reliable turbo/super kits for ~2k? or would it be cheaper to buy the parts seperate....

also, if it would be cheaper to buy the parts individually, what would you recomend? i would also like to put on a new exhaust, but i also have 0 idea about after market exhausts xD

thank you in advance <3

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,762 Posts
so i plan on getting a 2012 SRT, and i REALLY want to add some kind of FI, but im kinda on a *tightish* budget, and dont have 7 grand to drop on a supercharger kit.... Are there any cheap, yet reliable turbo/super kits for ~2k? or would it be cheaper to buy the parts seperate....

also, if it would be cheaper to buy the parts individually, what would you recomend? i would also like to put on a new exhaust, but i also have 0 idea about after market exhausts xD

thank you in advance <3
$2k...maybe a used vortex/procharger, but I have never come across an FI unit that low in price. Cost also depends on your target boost level. No real power gains unless you go headers but that is $1-$2k and requires PCM tuner and tune. With FI you MUST run premium fuel and depending on your driving habits you might have to replace tires frequently.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,762 Posts
hmmm :/ are there any easier and cheaper mods to do first before i try FI? would a cam help? or a new exhaust?
Cam helps but requires some amount of teardown into the engine (no cost if you do yourself) and still requires a tuner and tune. I would say find a PCM tuner first (diablos can be had couple hundred bucks since it is a 2012) and start off with a canned tune (i.e 91 octane). Or wait until you get the car, drive it for a while and see if you need other items like tires for better hookup.

It is not an SRT but the process will be similar if you want to add a cam.
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/5-7-vvt-cam-installed-608369/

·
Vendor
12,499 Posts
I would save your money and accumulate a bunch, no matter what you do, 2k will get you nearly nowhere unless your proficient enough to do all the work yourself, and even then cost of parts will run significantly higher than your budget
Luke

ps also cutting corners is a sure way to suffer a catastrophic failure which will cost significantly more than your initial budget

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
913 Posts
Forced Induction, $2000 and Noob sounds like a bad combination.

If you are experienced and smart, you might be able to do forced induction for $2000, but that is stretching things pretty thin.

Since you say right off that you're a Noob and don't even have the car yet, get the car and see what you think.

These 392 cars are no joke right out of the factory.

And when you start feeling ambitious, price a replacement 392 engine. It'll cost you a whole lot more than $2000 just for the engine if you destroy it with a cobbled forced induction setup.

Reactions: wlemer

·
Vendor
12,499 Posts
most supercharger system new will run from mid 6 to mids 7, not including labor, on 2015 and up pcm must be unlock, so plan at least 299$ extra, and if you have anything else done, tbi, headers, anything else you will need some form of tuning, anywhere from 400 to 800 additional......

even picking up a used kit, assuming as all the parts are there, big maybe, you will need some reinstall components, tuning, etc 2k is most likely a pipe dream.....

not trying to rain on anyone parade, but poor tuning will buy you an engine

Luke

Reactions: wlemer

·
Registered
887 Posts
Your biggest bang for your buck would be if you found a car for sale that already had your FI system installed.

Yes. You would have to be cautious about who owned it, who installed it, who tuned it, and how it was driven. If it was a street driven car and tuned by the right person: They really couldn't have hurt anything. If it was raced, hard, a lot: You would need to know more about what other mods were installed. And since it sounds like you are new to FI, I would suggest you stay away from those "raced" cars.

A lot of guys installed FI systems and eventually upgraded to newer cars, hellcats, etc. We (on these forums) have seen a lot of "good" cars go up for sale.
Again, depending on who used to own the car, and how they drove it, you may find exactly what you want for a great price.

Otherwise: Don't do a cam now thinking you can add FI later. A cam grind for a non-FI motor is very different than a cam grind for a FI system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts