Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2013 Challenger RT Blacktop 6 speed with 31k miles. At around 9k miles the dealer had to replace all lifters since my engine sounded like a loud sewing machine. Forward that to about 20k miles in it started doing a ticking, clicking noise under load. It mostly happens in low second as you hit the gas from 2k rpms to about 3500, Same thing in 3rd gear. I've been told maybe bad gas I have filled up in shell and chevron and always pump 91oct and nothing changes. I have also tried octane boosters and while I think it did some what better it still did it. Sometimes the sound is a lot louder than other times and it sounds to be coming from driver underside of engine. I have also checked for anything lose on the bottom and I have not found anything. Took it to the dealer, explained it to them and they said they drove it and cant recreate the problem. I even asked to drive the car myself and to my luck that day it did not do it. Driving normal it does not do it but when you try to get up to speed it gets to be loud and embarrassing. Sounds like if you would jiggle 2 or three door keys. I am stomped on this.

Also on some occasions I feel the car sluggish when it does it, on other occasions it does it but I still feel the power. Any help I would appreciate it :|

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
Don't mean to answer with questions but what plugs you running? I thought the 2013 had copper plugs which required changing every 30k miles? Also, are you running a catch can.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
On second thought, it could be either an exhaust manifold leak (or mid pipe to manifold). That can make a ticking sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't mean to answer with questions but what plugs you running? I thought the 2013 had copper plugs which required changing every 30k miles? Also, are you running a catch can.

I did change the plugs at 28k miles or so with the recommended from Oreilly's. And yes it has a Speedlogix catch can which I put in when it had about 19K or so miles. I got the car with 3K miles. I tried looking for carbon buildup around the manifolds from under the car and couldn't see anything. Hmmmm I didn't think about the mid pipe to manifold section. But wouldn't it do it constantly or is it more noticeable under load/ acceleration?

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm experiencing this same tick under load, after I completed my COMP 270 , head and SRT8 Shorty's and Mid-Pipe install. I believe my issue is at the collectors where the Mid-Pipes mate up to the Factory Shorty's. When I took the old pipes off, they were extremely tight to the factory log manifolds. I had to use a breaker bar and a lot of leverage to get the nuts loose. I'm going to jack my car up and retighten the Mid-Pipe to collector nuts. FYI, my car is a 13 M6 car as well. Perhaps these models need more clamping force to seal up correctly. I'll report back once I complete the procedure and test drive the car.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Does the car have a custom tune? Have you tried data logging to see if its pinging resulting in knock retard which would cause a difference in power?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
Does the car have a custom tune? Have you tried data logging to see if its pinging resulting in knock retard which would cause a difference in power?
Actually I wonder if it is possible for the knock sensors to pick-up an exhaust leak as a false knock and hence pull timing? I know they can pick up manual trans noise which registers as a knock.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Fall under the timing chain recall by chance? Check your vin on mopar.com for any recalls.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I thought the recall was for the autos with MDS?
Yes it is, just reread post, blanked on that.

I would first check everything I could manage easily, starting with the exhaust system and heat shields before I moved on to thinking it was anything catastrophic.

Park the car and steady rev it to the rpms you hear the noise at and see if it duplicates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It does not have a custom tune and I don't have anything to datalog it. I have also checked for lose heat shields and have not found any or anything out of the ordinary. I have not tried tightening up the midpipes to the manifolds or checked if they are loose. It came to my mind maybe a bad cat that has loosened up inside but It has not thrown any codes that I know off.

BTW this is the only Recall that shows up with my vin.
08/24/2017
Manufacturer Safety recall issued
NHTSA #17V-435
#T36 LD/LX/LC, WD-WK 160/180 AMP ALTERNATORS

Click here for a copy of the owner letter for this Recall or call 1- 800-853-1403 if you have any questions or need additional information on this recall.
LEARN MORE
Description:
The alternator may experience diode thermal fatigue failure due to cyclical loads induced by Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering.

Failed diodes may also develop a resistive short circuit that can result in heat, smoke and/or fire originating within the alternator.

Remedy:
The alternator part number must be inspected on all involved vehicles. Vehicles found with the suspect alternator will have it replaced with a new alternator containing improved diodes on all affected vehicles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I get a constant ticking when driving - it's not audible at idle. It's just loud enough to hear with the windows up, a/c and radio off. I took it to the dealer and was told it's mechanical noise from the fuel injectors. The claim was that it's louder on manuals than autos. They did pull codes and check for the Hemi tick and an exhaust manifold leak. I'm just not sure I believe them.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,586 Posts
I get a constant ticking when driving - it's not audible at idle. It's just loud enough to hear with the windows up, a/c and radio off. I took it to the dealer and was told it's mechanical noise from the fuel injectors. The claim was that it's louder on manuals than autos. They did pull codes and check for the Hemi tick and an exhaust manifold leak. I'm just not sure I believe them.
Well my manual sounded like a sewing machine (wrote about it in a different thread). I upgraded the push rods and all that noise when away. There was a couple of months where one lifter refused to quite down but now it is gone.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f322/2015-challenger-rt-plus-5-7-6-speed-stock-pushrod-length-564322/

Why would injectors be louder on a manual? I have to check if it is the same part number...I guess they are.
https://www.moparpartscorp.com/oem-parts/mopar-injector-rl037479ac/?c=Zz1mdWVsLXN5c3RlbSZzPWZ1ZWwtc3lzdGVtLWNvbXBvbmVudHMmYT1kb2RnZSZvPWNoYWxsZW5nZXImeT0yMDE1JnQ9ci10LXBsdXMmZT01LTdsLXY4LWdhcw==

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would listen to the push rods, if it was an exhaust leak you'd know it. I was able to fix mine. IT was self induced when I did the exhaust upgrade.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 2013 SRT M6 and had the same ticking sound. It was most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear around 2500 - 3500 RPMs. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the passenger side lifters as the noise seems to come from that side of the car. That did not work at all. Then my dealer changed its tune and said the noise was "normal", which pissed me off so I called SRT to complain. They worked with the dealer and I brought the car back into the dealer. They had it for two days and I didn't hear anything, so I called. They told me that they thought it was the transmission, which seemed appropriate because when I threw in the clutch the noise went away. The dealer said they spoke to Tremec and Tremec told them that they do not want them working on the tranny and said that if the dealer feels the noise is abnormal to replace the tranny. So Tremec sent the dealer a new tranny, the dealer installed it and low and behold the ticking is gone. This was two years ago and 15,000 miles later, no ticking and the car runs and performs great.

My car was still under the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty; however, I think the powertrain on cars from 2014 and older have either a 70K or 100K powertrain warranty. You may want to have the dealer look into the transmission. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I noticed this morning on my way to work that the noise goes away when I throw in the clutch. I wonder if changing the transmission fluid will make the ticking go away. I'm still under warranty, but this dealer doesn't have a loaner car program so I'm left in a tight spot if they need the car for more than day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2013 SRT M6 and had the same ticking sound. It was most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gear around 2500 - 3500 RPMs. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the passenger side lifters as the noise seems to come from that side of the car. That did not work at all. Then my dealer changed its tune and said the noise was "normal", which pissed me off so I called SRT to complain. They worked with the dealer and I brought the car back into the dealer. They had it for two days and I didn't hear anything, so I called. They told me that they thought it was the transmission, which seemed appropriate because when I threw in the clutch the noise went away. The dealer said they spoke to Tremec and Tremec told them that they do not want them working on the tranny and said that if the dealer feels the noise is abnormal to replace the tranny. So Tremec sent the dealer a new tranny, the dealer installed it and low and behold the ticking is gone. This was two years ago and 15,000 miles later, no ticking and the car runs and performs great.

My car was still under the 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty; however, I think the powertrain on cars from 2014 and older have either a 70K or 100K powertrain warranty. You may want to have the dealer look into the transmission. Good luck.

I am starting to think my car is having the same issue. I believe it has something to do with either the transmission and or clutch. Driving normal nothing, you can rev the motor and nothing. 2nd or 3rd gear acceleration between 2k rpm and 3500 rpm and you hear the noise. If I rev match to downshift you can hear it. Its so weird but very annoying, like I have said you can be in low 2nd gear and but just tapping the accelerator or you want to get on it you hear right when it gets into load / torque. I am gonna have to try my luck with Larry H miller dodge and see if they care to actually look into it. Otherwise I will have to contact dodge and see what they can do for me. Taken it to Melloy Dodge and Santa Fe Dodge also and they don't care they just say I don't hear anything or its normal sounds like injectors. SIGH.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts